By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Official Star Craft 2 Beta Thread

If someone is ever tired of playing in the beta, I'm be more than happy to "take over" for them!

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
KungKras said:
So, my impressions about the game as of now is that it's still too light on micro.
I have no problems with multi building selection and the new macro mechanics, but what sort of disturbs me is how battles essentially microes themselves.
In SC you had to manually spread your marines against units like the lurker to avoid their splash, and there were some really cool stuff you could do. In SC2, the pathing makes it so that most battles consists of attack moving a ball of units and seeing if you win or lose and decide to retreat or not. The formations are too dense to really be able to micro large armies.
Or maybe I'm not used to the game yet. Some cool ways to micro have already been invented, like Prism/Collossus micro and force field micro.
I just want more.

Really? I feel exactly the opposite... in the first SC, I felt the great majority of games didn't rely as heavily on micro(this may have something to do with the fact that games had no ranked matchmaking, so your opponents were always a crapshoot)... but I'm 1 week into the beta, and workign furiously to improve my micro skills because I see so many battles I lose that I didn't have to, or so many battles when I DO make lots of adjustments, when I can turn the tide...

feeling myself with replays ;)

Time to Work !

Jereel Hunter said:
KungKras said:
So, my impressions about the game as of now is that it's still too light on micro.
I have no problems with multi building selection and the new macro mechanics, but what sort of disturbs me is how battles essentially microes themselves.
In SC you had to manually spread your marines against units like the lurker to avoid their splash, and there were some really cool stuff you could do. In SC2, the pathing makes it so that most battles consists of attack moving a ball of units and seeing if you win or lose and decide to retreat or not. The formations are too dense to really be able to micro large armies.
Or maybe I'm not used to the game yet. Some cool ways to micro have already been invented, like Prism/Collossus micro and force field micro.
I just want more.

Really? I feel exactly the opposite... in the first SC, I felt the great majority of games didn't rely as heavily on micro(this may have something to do with the fact that games had no ranked matchmaking, so your opponents were always a crapshoot)... but I'm 1 week into the beta, and workign furiously to improve my micro skills because I see so many battles I lose that I didn't have to, or so many battles when I DO make lots of adjustments, when I can turn the tide...

The types of micro that have been really prominent in SC2 is the unit abilities micro so far. You really need to use the spells of the units and I have seen some beautiful force field usage. But there there are more subtle micro types that people could be skilled at in SC1 like microing M&M forces vs zerg armies as one example or Protoss push breaking micro against Terran mech.

Oh well, SC2 will likely be a different game, and perhaps more subtle micro will be invented as the game evolves.

Now that Marauder slow is gone, terrans will feel the full wrath of my well-microed stalkers >:3

I LOVE ICELAND!

Terrans still feel like you need some good micro to make the most of them. Letting them run wild and free works well if you have the MMM ball of death going, but if you are missing the medivacs you need to baby sit the army to make them really work for you. Of course we might just be talking about a different level of micro.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
KungKras said:
Jereel Hunter said:
KungKras said:
I just want more.

The types of micro that have been really prominent in SC2 is the unit abilities micro so far. You really need to use the spells of the units and I have seen some beautiful force field usage. But there there are more subtle micro types that people could be skilled at in SC1 like microing M&M forces vs zerg armies as one example or Protoss push breaking micro against Terran mech.

Oh well, SC2 will likely be a different game, and perhaps more subtle micro will be invented as the game evolves.

Now that Marauder slow is gone, terrans will feel the full wrath of my well-microed stalkers >:3

I think the damage only has 1 type now, so fights so a lot differently... in the past, if you had M&M vs hydras or dragoons, marines were marely taking any damage, and some micro could save a lot of lives... nowadays I feel like the from lines of infantry fights, units often die too quickly to save - but there are still plenty of opportunities to micro - I think they're shifted though, dancing more versatile units in and out of range to keep them safe while your armies go at it. For instance as toss, I like using heavy ground forces, and microing a few void rays - void rays can be easily killed from the ground, but if you retreat ones getting hit immediately, they can deal a lot of punishment without dying, and the opponent has to either focus them or ignore them, and if they focus them, a well times retreat could drag them into the bulk if your army...

I am moving up in the world! Up to 4th in copper now. The main strategy change has been to take out Marauders. Marines are so ridiculous in this game. I don't understand why everyone complains about going against marauders.

Just found an email from 2 months ago with a beta key in it from Blizzard.

I didn't even apply or anything! and it is legitimate.

ph4nt said:
Just found an email from 2 months ago with a beta key in it from Blizzard.

I didn't even apply or anything! and it is legitimate.

Whaaat? That's crazy. You must have opted in at some point or something. Otherwise, that's insane. sooo buddy... what'dya want for that key?

I think I have figured out what is wrong with Thors. They need a touch of a boost in the defense department. Add 1 more to armor by default and they would be perfect.