By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Race is on - 360 vrs PS3 (holiday '07)

MikeB said:
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:
What interesting with regard to that latest survey is that the Nintnedo Wii scored 10.8 percent, 2.9 % lower than the PS3. Better for the PS3 than I would have expected for this period of time.

Shouldn't that be enough to convince you that those surveys are useless?

IMO surveys are very valuable when done right, even Media Create and NPD's figures are all just estimates. IMO if I would view well executed survey as being useless I should consider VGChartz to be just as useless as well, but that's not the case.

The more independent surveys indicate that the PS3 is going to outsell the XBox 360 this christmas the more solid this projection becomes. It's at least far more valuable than personal "I think this and that" comments as the data is based on thousands of randomly selected people.

That doesn't exactly reply to what I asked... If I gave you a survey saying that Lair scored higher than Ratchet & Clank wouldn't you doubt its relevance as an indicator of sales and customer demand, especially given that previous sales and demand trends for those items are already known?

No for instance a FPS can be really good, but still not perform well in Japan, similar you may make the best platformer most people may actually prefer a racing game on a particular platform or in a particular country.

These christmas wishlists or data regarding what people are shopping for are far more relevant, reviews are subjective to begin with. For example IMO Lair is a much better game than the average review score would indicate and there's a great difference in score range with regard to that title. I know people like to drag Lair into examples as being a horrible game, but have you actually played it?

Let's just cut the crap, forget that I even mentioned Lair (I shouldn't have). That survey has the PS3 ranked higher than the Wii. Do you really think that's indicative of customer demand?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Man....does MikeB derail every thread he posts in? I mean I am surprised someone didn't point out to him that despite Blu-Ray's storage advantage, COD4 on PS3 has significantly worse texture quality than the 360 version. Never mind, I am not surprised. Why argue with a guy that seems more and more like a Sony viral marketing plant with each post he makes.

The 360 will out sell the PS3 this holiday season. The question is how much of a sales advantage will it have. Sony has exhausted their ability to slash the PS3's MSRP for the foreseeable future. MS still have plenty of room to cut the MSRP on the 360 and still profit from each unit. At this point, who doesn't expect MS to cut the 360s price right before GTA4 launches to magnify the amount of the 360's sales spike from the games release.

@ NJ5

Let's just cut the crap, forget that I even mentioned Lair (I shouldn't have). That survey has the PS3 ranked higher than the Wii. Do you really think that's indicative of customer demand?

It's one latest survey which should be viewed in the context of the other surveys where the Wii did better and the XBox 360 did worse.

Every piece of information on the matter is of value, PS3 popularity may have gone up due to mass advertising, I can't say for sure but this is what the latest survey indicates.

And no, during the US launch I only thought the PS3 would win only over the XBox 360 globally, not the Wii, Christmas 2008 I think is more likely for the PS3 to beat the Wii.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Darc Requiem said:
Man....does MikeB derail every thread he posts in? I mean I am surprised someone didn't point out to him that despite Blu-Ray's storage advantage, COD4 on PS3 has significantly worse texture quality than the 360 version. Never mind, I am not surprised. Why argue with a guy that seems more and more like a Sony viral marketing plant with each post he makes.

The 360 will out sell the PS3 this holiday season. The question is how much of a sales advantage will it have. Sony has exhausted their ability to slash the PS3's MSRP for the foreseeable future. MS still have plenty of room to cut the MSRP on the 360 and still profit from each unit. At this point, who doesn't expect MS to cut the 360s price right before GTA4 launches to magnify the amount of the 360's sales spike from the games release.

Actually it's off topic posts like yours which derail threads. COD4 wasn't designed specifically for the PS3, it was a PS3/XBox 360 game intended to be roughly the same on both platforms (refer for instance to Darkness dev comments, how they intentionally didn't tap into the PS3's advantages). However for UT3 the focuss is currenty more on the PS3 and if this version is done right they could go beyond the XBox 360 capabilities.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Once the PS3 reaches $300 I think we'll see sales ramp up quite a bit. Then it will be competitive in sales with the 360, if not beating it, on a monthly basis. Until then I expect the 360 to outsell the PS3 by a fair margin almost every month. Aside from major game launches and such. It's hard to say whether or not the PS3 will ever pass the 360 in world wide sales. It's possible, but time is quickly running out.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I don't think you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Around the Network
Nighteyes_1981 said:
Once the PS3 reaches $300 I think we'll see sales ramp up quite a bit. Then it will be competitive in sales with the 360, if not beating it, on a monthly basis. Until then I expect the 360 to outsell the PS3 by a fair margin almost every month. Aside from major game launches and such. It's hard to say whether or not the PS3 will ever pass the 360 in world wide sales. It's possible, but time is quickly running out.

The $300 price point would be losing a ton of money for Sony at each console sold. It's already losing a lot at $400, and there is nothing more they can cut from the system.

It looks like a lot of numbers have been adjusted lately. Can anyone do a fresh tally of how the PS3 vs Xbox 360 have been doing since the race began?

[edit] I'll do it. These are for Xbox 360 vs PS3 for the week ending:

Nov 03:

Nighteyes_1981 said:

The $300 price point would be losing a ton of money for Sony at each console sold. It's already losing a lot at $400, and there is nothing more they can cut from the system.

It looks like a lot of numbers have been adjusted lately. Can anyone do a fresh tally of how the PS3 vs Xbox 360 have been doing since the race began?

[edit] I'll do it. These are for Xbox 360 vs PS3 for the week ending:

Week Xbox 360
PS3
Nov 03
Nov 10
201,260 199,554
Nov 17
241,430 229,085
Nov 24
Dec 01 361,108
Total 1,392,806 1,262,923
It looks like the 360 hasn't lost a week in a long time, but it still has only a relatively small lead (about 10%) over the PS3. It *is* selling better than the PS3 world wide, though.

MikeB said:
Darc Requiem said:

Actually it's off topic posts like yours which derail threads. COD4 wasn't designed specifically for the PS3, it was a PS3/XBox 360 game intended to be roughly the same on both platforms (refer for instance to Darkness dev comments, how they intentionally didn't tap into the PS3's advantages). However for UT3 the focuss is currenty more on the PS3 and if this version is done right they could go beyond the XBox 360 capabilities.

No MikeB, you are the one that constantly turns every thread into a PS3/Cell Processor/Blu-Ray debate. You are also the one that constantly double, triple, and even quadraple posts on occassion in each thread in regards to the aforementioned topics whether they are relevant or not. It was YOU that brought up COD4 in this thread. It was YOU that derailed the topic. The first paragraph of my post was specifically in response to the crap you've been pulling in this thread and others. The second was about the OP's topic. 

Speaking of the actual topic. Which do you think will sell more during the Holiday 07 season, the 360 or PS3? I know you are going to say the PS3. The question why do you think so? 

RolStoppable said:
Darc Requiem said:

No MikeB, you are the one that constantly turns every thread into a PS3/Cell Processor/Blu-Ray debate. You are also the one that constantly double, triple, and even quadraple posts on occassion in each thread in regards to the aforementioned topics whether they are relevant or not. It was YOU that brought up COD4 in this thread. It was YOU that derailed the topic. The first paragraph of my post was specifically in response to the crap you've been pulling in this thread and others. The second was about the OP's topic.

Speaking of the actual topic. Which do you think will sell more during the Holiday 07 season, the 360 or PS3? I know you are going to say the PS3. The question why do you think so?

Various surveys.

Which narrowly edged the option "naked Jessica Alba in a Ferrari". Since we all know how realistic "what do you want for Christmas" surveys are. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

@ Darc Requiem

YOU that brought up COD4 in this thread.

Don't pretend to be stupid, that was in reply to FPS related comments not relating to the original topic. Can we please refrain from making cheapshots?

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ Darc Requiem

YOU that brought up COD4 in this thread.

Don't pretend to be stupid, that was in reply to FPS related comments not relating to the original topic. Can we please refrain from making cheapshots?

It seems that everytime someone calls you on your nonsense they are "cheap shotting" you. A cheap shot would be posting a Blu-Ray Disc image of a movie running on PS3, saying its a DVD image from PS3, and comparing it to a 360 DVD image of the same movie. Pretending to be stupid would be doing it more than once and pretending it was an accident.