By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Race is on - 360 vrs PS3 (holiday '07)

@ WEWdeadeye

Grow up, I made efforts to get this thread back on track and now you're trying to derail it again? Send me a private message if you want or better yet share your perspectives on why the PS3 could or couldn't beat the XBox 360 for christmas instead. But IMO researched data or good examples adds weight to your reasoned comments.

@ stranne

Ok ill take a survey, and ill tell you right now every single one of the kids i know want a 360 over a ps3, so it must be accurate.

They did random research, if done right this is usually a good indication. At least with regard to the youth two different surveys came to the similar conclusions.

Btw, I think a PS3 (and even a Wii) is way too much for a xmas present, but maybe I'm just a cheapskatep

For me a PS3 wouldn't be an option, a PS2 for a 8-16 year old should be good enough. Maybe if the Wii dropped in price next christmas. If I had kids I wouldn't want to spoil them too much, if they really want it I would need a better reason, good school grades or cleaning up their rooms and helping their mom or such.

@ NJ5

Even if the surveys were accurate, "wanting" something is not the same as "getting" it. Not where I come from anyway.

Agreed with regard to kids, adults will usually just buy it if they really want one for christmas. The PS3 IMO isn't really that expensive for an adult.

In any case I do think such surveys are interesting and usually of more value than just a random guy's personal opinions.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
darthdevidem said:
Well please let us not bring the WII into this....

YES a VERY interesting battle

this is without Ps3 having ANY significant exclusives this year (considering Uncarted has bombed)

Pleasd tell me that you are talking about Uncharted bombing sales wise. The game has lived up to everyones (except the most crazy sony fanboys) expectations quality wise. Probably surpassed some peoples (mine for instance).

Just kiss the tip.

So...

...back on topic - which is "Can the PS3 beat the 360 worldwide this Xmas?"

My real point (see post#1) - is that recent gains PS3 has made in Japan almost make up for the current lag Sony has in the US. Europe is about equal.

Will the 360 end up outselling the PS3 by more units in the US, than the PS3 will the 360 in Japan?

(I still say no - but it will be closer than I thought)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

@ shams

Last year at the beginning of the PS3's launch I said the PS2 would be the big winner for christmas 2006 (I was right with regard to that one) and expected the PS3's first real sales victory worldwide over the XBox 360 for christmas 2007, I still think so, as data so far seems to back up my expectations.

(But I didn't expect the PS3 to outsell the Wii in Japan like it currently does, I always thought Japan would turn PS3 as soon as Metal Gear Solid 4 and / or Final Fantasy XIII hit the market, now I wonder if I will be correct or not, not that the PS3 is performing considerably above expectations, the Wii is performing below my previous expectations (Mario Galaxy doesn't seem to push the system as much as I thought). Monster Hunter 3 cannot come soon enough as HDTV penetration increases IMO it will only get increasingly difficult for Nintendo.)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:I would never criticize someone for preferring a Wii or a Snes (or any other console), but for me the PS3 is the most interesting. I want to see what developers and artists are capable of producing without technical constraint and this is what additional features like Blu-Ray, default harddrive and the Cell can provide more than any other console.
 How did people miss this gem? Anyway, increased HD penetration isn't going to hurt Nintendo much, if at all this gen. People significantly overestimate the impact of HD on peoples purchases, and it sure as hell wont keep them from buying a cheap console with popular titles.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

It was a online search first off, how many "average" teenagers get online to take surveys? Second, if i did it randomly i bet you i would still get 360.

Again its not accurate. 360 will beat ps3 this holiday season, how badly is still up in the air.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

We will have to see.

mM

Sieanr, I am glad you pointed that out, I was a little surprised no one else did...I chuckled out loud when I read that. Anyways, my money is on 360 to beat PS3 this holiday, all REAL evidence points in this direction (notice I said real, as in factual, as in, nothing MikeB has come up with yet). It just doesn't look like PS3 would be able to outsell it, especially not at this rate. PS3 still didn't beat it in the US with a 100$ drop, and sales are already sliding, just look at europe two weeks after they got a drop (and wasn't that a bigger drop there?). I know that had a lot to do with the starter pack running out though, so I don't want to compare those too much. Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving, and a Happy Holidays.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

WEWdeadeye said:
BR will not help blu-ray ALOT this Christmas. Most people buying HDTVs that want high def movies will probably go the way of HDDVD, considering most places are selling the new A3 for 199$. Not only that, people aren't going to pick up a PS3 because of blu-ray, people picking up PS3s are thinking games first, blu-ray is just a plus, assuming they even know about it. Most people who want to watch movies don't want a video game console too...for the most part, unless they were already looking to buy a console in the first place. It just wouldn't be cool to bring your date back home and pop the movie into your brand new....Playstaion?!@? "Why do you have that, isn't that for kids?"

The PS3 does not seem like a gaming console when it is sitting in your entertainment center. Black and stylish. When I bring my date back and use the PS3, the sleek black plastic does all of the talking for me. Clothes are off within minutes. You should give consumers more credit- alot do know that the PS3 is the best/cheapest Blu-Ray player available. They arent all suckers who (while typically uninformed) fall into the gap of HD-DVD.

If I was with a girl that said "Why do you have that , isn't that for kids?" I would look at her like she was crazy. Then I would say - " Are you out of your F'ing mind?  Seriously- No one would say that.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

@ sieanr

How did people miss this gem? Anyway, increased HD penetration isn't going to hurt Nintendo much, if at all this gen. People significantly overestimate the impact of HD on peoples purchases, and it sure as hell wont keep them from buying a cheap console with popular titles.

It's quite simple actually, when people buy a good HDTV or 5.1/7.1 surround audio system people usually want to take advantage of such features. At least those who know what these features allow. For the long run this is working in the advantage of the PS3. A friend thinks his Wii looks rather bad on his big screen HDTV, far worse than on a smaller ordinary TV.

"I want to see what developers and artists are capable of producing without technical constraint "

And what do I mean by that? Well, the specs allow for far more advanced game engines, look at R&C TOD and Uncharted and they still only tap into a minority of the Cell's potential, they haven't hit the limits of 25 GB Blu-Ray discs yet and if they do they can use 50 GB discs instead.

Really it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what I was talking about. To quote the developers of Final Fantasy XIII:

"The PS3 is the machine that is closest to being able to express our imagination."

Now fanboys you can either go crazy like you usually do, or sit down and think for a minute.

PS3 vs 360 sales