By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Race is on - 360 vrs PS3 (holiday '07)

@ kcua_626

Honestly, I don't think that you provided any facts that supported your arguments :)

I added a link to Wikipedia for cross reference.

again Peace

Yes, peace!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@MikeB

Yeah those are "facts" but not "facts that supported your arguments"

Back on topic: 

MikeB said:

and for the US research indicated the PS3 to be higher on people's Christmas wishlist than the XBox 360 (the Wii was preferred by woman, the PS3 by men)

Top 5 christmas wishlist for my country (Dutch aged 12-18, consultancy bureau Ernst & Young survey):

Girls:

1) shoes or accessories (72 percent)
2) laptop (54 percent)
3) new mobile phone (46 percent)
4) weekend trip (45 percent)
5) iPod (42 percent)

Boys:

1) laptop (48 percent)
2) new mobile telephone (44 percent)
3) Playstation 3 (43 percent)
4) iPod (43 percent)
5) PSP (39 percent)

Interestingly no Wii or DS... I really thought it would be far more desirable amongst this age group this christmas!

A comparison with the US, survey amongst 8-17 olds in the US:

"The Wii was on 32% of wish lists, the Sony PlayStation 3 on 19% and Microsoft Xbox 360 on 17%."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-11-19-wii-shopping_N.htm

That's more like I was expecting from such an age group. Kids in the US love the Wii, more so than US adults (especially male adults) it seems! But it's still interesting it seems the PS3 is more popular than the XBox 360 (even in the US, the XBox' by far largest market).

Hopefully all software fully realize this and make lots of new kid and female targetted games! I am all for expanding the games market.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Adults:

US holiday wishlist for 2007, according to Solutions Research Group (SRG) for Digital Life America:

1) HDTV
2) Laptop
3) Digital Camera
4) Desktop computer
5) Car GPS system
6) New Cell phone
7) Video Camera
8) Nintendo Wii
9) PS3
10) Blu-Ray or HD DVD player

Apple Laptop just missed the top 10 at 11th spot, so maybe Laptop should be number 1 if combined. The PS3 was higher on the list than the Wii regarding men, but women preffered the Wii so overall according to the survey the Wii is more desirable for christmas.

Another survey regarding kids:

"As for game systems, Nintendo Wii was the most popular among kids ages 8-13, as well as all girls up to age 17, while Sony PlayStation 3 came out on top for boys ages 14-17."

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6479280.html

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ kcua_626

Yeah those are "facts" but not "facts that supported your arguments"

What arguments are you referring to specifically then? I have also stated personal opinions, like IMO PS3 stands a chance against the XBox 360 this christmas, to illustrate this I used VGChartz data for Japan and "others" sales data and pointed to US christmas wishlist surveys.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Nintendo vs. Sony: Will Wii Shortages be PS3's Gain?
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/GadgetGuide/Story?id=3887235&page=1

Interesting, but I find this unlikely to become a major factor, unless maybe parents secretly want one for themselves?!

IMO the PS3 is less a cheap (enough) gaming toy like the Wii is to buy for a kid's birthday or christmas, kids usually don't have HDTVs in their rooms anyway (or do people overly spoil their kids in the US?) and I think overall aren't much interested in the PS3's additional multimedia features.

I sure hope Nintendo is able to provide enough consoles to make kids and moms happy this christmas, IMO the PS3 and Wii both add a lot of diversity to the gaming market's potential. I really don't understand why Wii fans often feel threatened, it's not like a person like me would suddenly have bought a Wii if the PS3 never existed.

Wouldn't the much cheaper PS2 be a better alternative? And if they already own one, maybe buy some more expensive PS2 games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero for kids instead?

PS3 vs 360 sales

Wow, MikeB, way to totally take another thread and run it into the ground with all your pro-sony BS. Clearly you just have no idea what is going on EVER in any threads you post it, because you took this so off-topic it isn't funny. Let's not kill the thread, and by that I mean, how about you stop posting. Everything/anything you ever say is always irrelevant to the thread at hand. You never respond to anyone's criticisms of you directly, and way to post top notch info off of Wikipedia...what a F'in JOKE!

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

Mike b how many times do we have to state that surveys are not accurate

Ok ill take a survey, and ill tell you right now every single one of the kids i know want a 360 over a ps3, so it must be accurate.

Im telling you right now, sales charts are showing the truth.

It was a online survey, hardly accurate.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Even if the wishlist survey was accurate, it wouldn't be a good indicator. Parents don't always buy the highest items on the kid's wishlist, especially not if item #1 is more expensive than item #2.

Btw, I think a PS3 (and even a Wii) is way too much for a xmas present, but maybe I'm just a cheapskate...

Even if the surveys were accurate, "wanting" something is not the same as "getting" it. Not where I come from anyway.

EDIT - stranne you beat me ;) 

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957