By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Race is on - 360 vrs PS3 (holiday '07)

@ eugene

Those Spu's may help to make things prettier but graphics arent everything.

I don't know if you referring to me, but considering stating in past statements that Super Mario World and Mario64 are amongst my all-time favourites it doesn't.

I would never criticize someone for preferring a Wii or a Snes (or any other console), but for me the PS3 is the most interesting. I want to see what developers and artists are capable of producing without technical constraint and this is what additional features like Blu-Ray, default harddrive and the Cell can provide more than any other console.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@MikeB

Sure it might be the largest economy on Earth or it might have the most population, but what percent of that population/economy is interested in video games.

Economy and total population don't determine the market potential of a region. You always have to take into account culture, legal system, standard of living etc. And Europe being multi cultured and not being governed by a single entity makes it a market w/ lesser potential.

@ kcua_626

Sure it might be the largest economy on Earth or it might have the most population, but what percent of that population/economy is interested in video games.

Economy and total population don't determine the market potential of a region. You always have to take into account culture, legal system, standard of living etc. And Europe being multi cultured and not being governed by a single entity makes it a market w/ lesser potential.

And going back to the original argument, based on console sales of the previous generation Pal regions + Japan >> US (and Americas as well)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

xbox has a strong ecosystem in America that keeps pumping money into it. This is Microsofts generation to expand and they are. They have come a long way from nothing to where they are today in only 6 years. A strong contender for the number 2 spot. in 2001, It was like hearing Apple or Intel or Google wanted to enter gamming. People just laughed, but they showed they can bring out tripple A games and keep Sony in check.

@MikeB

I don't remember saying that Pal + Japan << US.

We're talking about PAL vs US right now. And going back to my first post in this thread, I said Japanese market != PAL/US market

Around the Network

What's the point of talking about previous generations when discussing Christmas sales in THIS generation. The PS2 is still selling better than the PS3 in "Others", so it's totally irrelevant as far as I can see.

MikeB is just diluting the thread without giving any reasons (or even directly claiming, maybe to avoid being called on it) that USA will be less important in Christmas than it has been throughout the year regarding current gen console sales. It's a very light form of trolling (he's probably not even aware of it) which to me smacks of a common pattern in the threads he posts in.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

you also have to consider their economy's. Some of these countries arent as wealty and gamming is some what expensive. Population size means nothing in that extent. Japan is lucrative because their economy is on par with the US. But South Africa is not.

@ eugene

This is Microsofts generation to expand and they are. They have come a long way from nothing to where they are today in only 6 years

Microsoft has lost over 6 Billion USD so far it would have been cheaper to buy 24 million Nintendo Wiis at full price and give them away. Or over twice as many PS2s at current pricing.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ eugene

This is Microsofts generation to expand and they are. They have come a long way from nothing to where they are today in only 6 years

Microsoft has lost over 6 Billion USD so far it would have been cheaper to buy 24 million Nintendo Wiis at full price and give them away. Or over twice as many PS2s at current pricing.

Or maybe they could get a second job and buy 24 million PS3s? See, I can troll too.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Its not about how many systems they couldve given away cause that would not have built the xbox branding. From this day forward and for the next 20 years, they are a viable part of the gamming industry. the gamming industry is growing and fast. 6 billion is recoverable over time but they have a foot hold in the industry. Think about it, other than the big 3 now, nobody elese can come it pretty much.