By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Race is on - 360 vrs PS3 (holiday '07)

@ stranne

First of all, VGChartz doesn't cover every part of the world (Americas does not equal just the US neither) and with regard to market size you will have to take into account the amount of money people are spending.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

I think the 360 will topple the NA market, A big boost in europe but the wii and ps3 will do the best in Japan.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

@MikeB

I thought both platforms have the same online capacity for Cod4.

Anyway, I think he's saying that the bigger online capacity and the "according to those with cyborg eyes, better visuals" parts of the article you cited is not because of the better platform but from better devs/coders. I guess you missed the point of the article :)

I think the subhead of the article says it all "Infinity Ward stresses the importance of platform focus."

How is Russia bigger than the US in terms of the gaming market?

Re. China and the most of East Asia,
These markets will go to Wii or the Xbox 360. why? Piracy of course, China/HongKong =Piracy. Unless PS3 is cracked now, it won't stand a chance in both these markets. And sure these are emerging markets, but by the time their standard of living reaches the level of Japan or US, there will already be a new console war. And yes, standard of living determines the amount of disposable income a market has. Without disposable income, luxury goods such as game consoles won't sell.

Just my .02

MikeB said:
@ stranne

First of all, VGChartz doesn't cover every part in the world (Americas does not equal just the US neither) and with regard to market size you will have to take into account the amount of money people are spending.

1. I'm sure those countries missing from the VGChartz numbers don't make your "The US market isn't bigger than PAL regions and Japan combined (Taking out of account much of the World), not by a long shot." statement close to being true.

2. "The US isn't a bigger market than the rest of the world. Looking at PS2s shipped for the the Americas (of which the US takes up a majority share) 47.68 million consoles have been shipped, for PAL territories it is 44.79 million and for Japan alone it is 25.42 million. Neglecting much of the world 44.79 + 25.42 is still > 47.68"

So why are you yourself using just units and not taking into account money?

@ kcua_626

Anyway, I think he's saying that the bigger online capacity and the "according to those with cyborg eyes, better visuals" part is not because of the better platform but from better devs/coders.

I think they just wanted to say they used some of the SPE potential, which requires some coding talent. It's just an initial hurdle developers have to deal with regarding legacy game engine, but once have it up and running there's no problem for current and future games.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

PS3 sales will continue to increase rapidly in the U.S I expect.

There is a huge chance the ps3 outsells the X360 WW, they just need japan, and it sem likely.

GT5 prolauge, taht other game thats coming out this week whcih is popular in japan for the ps3. The ps3 might surpass the wii in holiday sales in japan as well.

mM

@ stranne

Because we are talking about console unit sales in this thread. I just pointed out that the statement like it was worded was incorrect. But from the grand perspective console sales are dependent on many factors, for instance the console launched earlier in the States and more games have been released for the US market so far. Therefore it's better to look at a longer period of time, like PS2 sales, the data of which isn't influenced by other factors so much.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Yeah but mikeb, seriously what is the main target for a game developer? MONEY no game developer is gonna take the time do this with every game, i admit it, the ps3 oblivion owns the xbox 360's because they actually spread it properly over the cell , but most of the time you see the xbox has better graphics, this is because they have been rushed to meet the deadline and get some $$.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

stranne said:
MikeB said:
@ stranne

First of all, VGChartz doesn't cover every part in the world (Americas does not equal just the US neither) and with regard to market size you will have to take into account the amount of money people are spending.

1. I'm sure those countries missing from the VGChartz numbers don't make your "The US market isn't bigger than PAL regions and Japan combined (Taking out of account much of the World), not by a long shot." statement close to being true.

2. "The US isn't a bigger market than the rest of the world. Looking at PS2s shipped for the the Americas (of which the US takes up a majority share) 47.68 million consoles have been shipped, for PAL territories it is 44.79 million and for Japan alone it is 25.42 million. Neglecting much of the world 44.79 + 25.42 is still > 47.68"

It's a well known trick from MikeB's repertoire. He'll keep you going in circles until you're too tired to continue discussing. That's when he wins.

Jokes aside, that doesn't make any sense MikeB. Not for this Christmas at least.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@ Jessman

the ps3 oblivion owns the xbox 360's because they actually spread it properly over the cell

The SPEs weren't used much by Oblivion on the PS3 (the middleware engine they were using has currently further advanced), the main technical difference was due to harddrive caching. I don't know why the XBox 360 version is only 600p, but maybe this was due to storage limitations of DVD.

PS3 vs 360 sales