By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 could statistically surpass 360, may 2011--Jan. 2012

thismeintiel said:

And do you seriously think that MS is going to sell the Elite at that big of a loss?  I know the 360 is selling at a profit, now, but nowhere near over $100 profit.  The max they can afford to drop the 360 would be around $50.  Plus, it would look bad to the general public if their "top of the line" model was already the same price as a Wii, which is widely known to have inferior hardware (not a jab, just a fact).  It would just make it seem "cheap."  And not in a good way.

It's also widely known that the Wii hardware is cheap to produce and that they make a killing off of it.

The 360 Elite right now could easily be making $50-75 profit.  Add in the extra savings that the Slim would bring and it is easy to see them breaking even on a $200 Elite or taking only a very minor loss.

As for the rest, it's not that I see only one outcome, its that I see my outcome as more than likely given all the past trends and what not.  I admit nothing is guaranteed, but with rumors after rumors of the Slim stacking up and more evidence adding to that, it just seems much more likely that this will be a repeat of 2008.  I see no reason to believe that there will somehow only be at most a tie between PS3 and 360 if the 360 were to get a price cut and all that.  It seems much more logical based on the past trends that the 360 would outsell the PS3 this year and then at the end of 2011 the PS3 will have it's chance again.

Around the Network

You just insist on getting the last word dont you? why dont you take the advice many have given and just agree to disagree?

seriously..

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

Ssliasil said:
You just insist on getting the last word dont you? why dont you take the advice many have given and just agree to disagree?

seriously..

At this point nightsurge and thismeinteil are having a discussion not related directly to his discussion with you.

Ssliasil said:

seriously..

If by many you mean you, then ok.  Obviously no one here is going to change anyone's mind.

Have a nice day!  I'll bookmark this thread for later and come back to it at the end of the year to see how things went.

That was just for chits n'giggles

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
thismeintiel said:

And do you seriously think that MS is going to sell the Elite at that big of a loss?  I know the 360 is selling at a profit, now, but nowhere near over $100 profit.  The max they can afford to drop the 360 would be around $50.  Plus, it would look bad to the general public if their "top of the line" model was already the same price as a Wii, which is widely known to have inferior hardware (not a jab, just a fact).  It would just make it seem "cheap."  And not in a good way.

It's also widely known that the Wii hardware is cheap to produce and that they make a killing off of it.

The 360 Elite right now could easily be making $50-75 profit.  Add in the extra savings that the Slim would bring and it is easy to see them breaking even on a $200 Elite or taking only a very minor loss.

As for the rest, it's not that I see only one outcome, its that I see my outcome as more than likely given all the past trends and what not.  I admit nothing is guaranteed, but with rumors after rumors of the Slim stacking up and more evidence adding to that, it just seems much more likely that this will be a repeat of 2008.  I see no reason to believe that there will somehow only be at most a tie between PS3 and 360 if the 360 were to get a price cut and all that.  It seems much more logical based on the past trends that the 360 would outsell the PS3 this year and then at the end of 2011 the PS3 will have it's chance again.

The problem is we don't know how much profit MS is ringing in from the 360.  You don't know it's as high as $75, just like I don't know it's lower than $50.  However, I don't think they are making as big a killing on the 360 as Nintendo was making on the Wii before the $50 pricecut.  If it was around $75, I would imagine they would have had no problem dropping the price lower than $300 (maybe $250) once they saw it wasn't crushing the PS3's sales, which probably would have allowed them to sell roughly the same as PS3 is now or more and at a profit.

You keep going on about this 360 Slim as if it were fact.  But in reality, there are just rumors and not even any hard evidence to prove they are working on a Slim.  There was a rumor of a new motherboard, but that wasn't confirmed or even mean a Slim, as consoles get internal revisions in their current form all the time.  There are reports that the PS3 Slim recently went under a component change to lower its cost and weight, as well, but is keeping the same casing.  When the PS3 Slim was rumored, we had tons of hard evidence with the rumors, including pictures.  Personally, I don't think they are making one, especially considering they just released a new 250HDD for the 360.  Why do that if just a few months later you're going to announce a new model that can't use them?

As far as the trends go, you're basing them on a time when the PS3 was too expensive for most, being $400 for the cheapest one.  But now that it's $300, people like the price, plus the value that comes with that price.  Also, Sony isn't going to just take a pricecut from MS laying down.  Not after all this ground they have made up since the Slim's launch.  And because of all the value that's packed into the PS3 "out of box", Sony won't have to lower their price by much.  They could easily combat a $250 Elite with a $275 PS3, even if it means just breaking even or selling at a small loss again.

Ssliasil said:

That was just for chits n'giggles

Ssliasil could you tell us what's so funny about telling another user on this forum to STFU and posting an insulting picture of a mentally challenged individual?

You still gota factor in the holiday time insanity (OMG Arcade for $50 *wink wink* ! Well it was $100 last Black Friday) Natal vs Wand and rumor of Slim 360/Price cut. If the 360 can drop to $150 or less by the Fall or get packed in with Natal at $199 it could do just as equal damage. If the 360 was closer in Others and still leading in the US it would lose by a very slim margin, say 10-20k a week just because of Japan.

It's just that simple.

People act like Microsoft doesn't have anything up their sleeves....