By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The biggest domestic US vote of my lifetime is today...

TheRealMafoo said:
mirgro said:

I'm fine with being a communist, at least it's some semblance of government that ensures human progression.

Yes, because all communist countries have ensured human progression.

Your not even making sense anymore.

It's not like capitalism has worked all too well. After the intial huge boost from WWII where the US was the only nation whose industry was not levelled to the ground, it began incurring debt in the 80s. If you give 13 trillion USD to any other nation I'm farily sure they'd be fine and dandy econamically as well, maybe some will be even more advanced than the US. For the record Russia's debt is only 80 billion USD and it has gone up only recently. By the time COmmunism fell the US was already over 5 trillion.

Also was it not the Communists who were the first in space? In fact not only were they first to reach space they sent a man to space first as well.  Are you telling me reaching space is not human progression? In fact reaching space and the internet are probably the biggest advances of humans in the past century.

But ultimately this isnt about communism, it's aboiut the fact that you want what is basically anarchy, and that is far worse than even communism, because at least communism is a form of government and it is quite well known that any form of government provides some form of human progress. Anarchy doesn't have any of that.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
mirgro said:

She was most definitely unable to spare those $500 in the situation she was in for a while. She is most definitely the type of person who just sits around and does nothing, she had a weird thing that she felt she needed to do work and be useful to society.

Anyhow the point was that under the current system, a person can be perfectly honest and and willing to work and the system will still fuck them over. That is a definition of a broken system.

@msrstickball

She moved from the west to the east coast. Apparently it doesn't apply or something. I also think that even if it did it may not have been transfered since she had her insurance from her work.

Actually, if she left her job to go cross country she had the right to pay for her health insurance via Cobra until her new health insurance kicked in.

Or could of just gotten private health insurance for the short term.

I honestly don't know about her situation as thoroughly, I just know that she was an honest person, got fucked over by life, and consequently the system fucked her some more. That's a failure of the system, as I said, I can go to Eastern European countries and get an X-Ray for about $20. I know it's $2.50 for an X-Ray on the teeth since I was over there a while back when I had some teeth troubles.

mirgro said:
Kasz216 said:
mirgro said:

She was most definitely unable to spare those $500 in the situation she was in for a while. She is most definitely the type of person who just sits around and does nothing, she had a weird thing that she felt she needed to do work and be useful to society.

Anyhow the point was that under the current system, a person can be perfectly honest and and willing to work and the system will still fuck them over. That is a definition of a broken system.

@msrstickball

She moved from the west to the east coast. Apparently it doesn't apply or something. I also think that even if it did it may not have been transfered since she had her insurance from her work.

Actually, if she left her job to go cross country she had the right to pay for her health insurance via Cobra until her new health insurance kicked in.

Or could of just gotten private health insurance for the short term.

I honestly don't know about her situation as thoroughly, I just know that she was an honest person, got fucked over by life, and consequently the system fucked her some more. That's a failure of the system, as I said, I can go to Eastern European countries and get an X-Ray for about $20. I know it's $2.50 for an X-Ray on the teeth since I was over there a while back when I had some teeth troubles.

So... why do you think insurance companys are why X-rays cost 300 dollars? (About the price for a shoulder.)

Also, why do you think raising everyones insurance coss is going to fix this problem.  This bill would not of helped your friend.  This bill would of fined your freind 700 dollars for not having insurance.

According to this bill, your friend should of secured healthcare before she moved... and if she didn't she was breaking the law.

If your argueing that people like your friend should be forced to being more "responsible" by forcing them to buy insurance under penalty of having to come up with 1000 instead of 300... i'm going to say i don't expect it to change most peoples behavior in such matters.

Kasz216 said:
mirgro said:

So... why do you think insurance companys are why X-rays cost 300 dollars? (About the price for a shoulder.)

Also, why do you think raising everyones insurance coss is going to fix this problem.

I was talking about the system as a whole, not the insurance companies in particular, they just happen to be part of the system. I was never too fond of the bill, but it's a change and since it's so unfavorable for everyone it should change even more later on, hopefully in the right direction and not to where it is now.

mirgro said:
TheRealMafoo said:
mirgro said:

I'm fine with being a communist, at least it's some semblance of government that ensures human progression.

Yes, because all communist countries have ensured human progression.

Your not even making sense anymore.

It's not like capitalism has worked all too well. After the intial huge boost from WWII where the US was the only nation whose industry was not levelled to the ground, it began incurring debt in the 80s. If you give 13 trillion USD to any other nation I'm farily sure they'd be fine and dandy econamically as well, maybe some will be even more advanced than the US. For the record Russia's debt is only 80 billion USD and it has gone up only recently. By the time COmmunism fell the US was already over 5 trillion.

Also was it not the Communists who were the first in space? In fact not only were they first to reach space they sent a man to space first as well.  Are you telling me reaching space is not human progression? In fact reaching space and the internet are probably the biggest advances of humans in the past century.

But ultimately this isnt about communism, it's aboiut the fact that you want what is basically anarchy, and that is far worse than even communism, because at least communism is a form of government and it is quite well known that any form of government provides some form of human progress. Anarchy doesn't have any of that.

Russia did accomplish what the government wanted. Space. They aslo murdered tens of millions of it's citizens, because that's what the government wanted.

Saying that somehow giving government that kind of complete control is advancing human rights, is to disregard all of history.. all of it. 

And the only person talking about Anarchy is you. I want government. i think a country needs government. But I also think they need to do nothing more then protect my rights and yours, and then they need to get the fuck out of my way.

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:

Russia did accomplish what the government wanted. Space. They aslo murdered tens of millions of it's citizens, because that's what the government wanted.

Saying that somehow giving government that kind of complete control is advancing human rights, is to disregard all of history.. all of it. 

And the only person talking about Anarchy is you. I want government. i think a country needs government. But I also think they need to do nothing more then protect my rights and yours, and then they need to get the fuck out of my way.

You don't mind paying for troops over in Alaska when they aren't even protecting you, they are protecting the people in Alaska. You pay for roads which you never use over in Alaska, yet you are fine paying for it.Yet you don't want government to tax you for health care because someone in Aslaska goes to the doctor, not you.

I'm sorry, but I am not following your logic in this matter.

I also don't follow your logic on just how you can think that the state government is somehow different than the federal government. Yes, it represents less people, but by having less people less is possible. Not to mention the fact that it's still a government and the only government that will actually give a shit about you is the government on a neigbouhood scale Face it, even if things worked the way you want, with state doing everything, conservatives such as your selves would still bitch about state government and would push for city government more than state government. 

You can bet anything that if it wasn't for the federal government, the US would not have made it to the moon because no single state had the resources. Same goes for the internet. That's why people form bigger and bigger groups, not smaller. The bigger a body is of united people, the more it can do. The smaller the body of people is, the less it can do.

Communism failed for a reason, and it had little to do with outside forces (that was part of it, just because a significant part of their economic strain came from keeping up with America), but the endemic problems were indelibly installed at various times throughout Soviet history.

I myself favor some sort of variant of Communism (something like the NEP from the 20's), but there were very distinct problems with Marxism-Leninism.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Oh man, the minority leader is tearing into them -

'Have you actually read the entire bill? HELL NO YOU HAVEN'T!'

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Oh man, the minority leader is tearing into them -

'Have you actually read the entire bill? HELL NO YOU HAVEN'T!'

Future Speaker of the House Boehner (R-OH)

I am watching it too.  So many campaign commercials will use this...  Dems are toast.

I've been watching it since I knew they'd have it live on the net....Since about 2pm.

Been insanely shameful. I don't want to be an outright dem-basher, but there has been so much BS by the dems during the house, its been insane. There was a point that the Republicans (Ryan, I think) asked Jesse Jackson Jr. a question, and Jesse wouldn't even talk to him, because it appeared he was right!

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.