By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The biggest domestic US vote of my lifetime is today...

TheRealMafoo said:
psrock said:

Enjoy History my friend, this will go down in the books just like social security. I am so happy to see Obama do what no other president could.

This bill will most likely kill 10's of millions of people. But I guess that's ok with you.

but you said it will be killed anayway, right. Don't worry.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:
TheRealMafoo said:
psrock said:

Enjoy History my friend, this will go down in the books just like social security. I am so happy to see Obama do what no other president could.

This bill will most likely kill 10's of millions of people. But I guess that's ok with you.

It will, but not sure why your so happy about it. Well, other then to just try and be annoying in this thread.

I fear that most Americans are going to get a better understanding of what “Cutting off your nose to spite your face” means ...

I can't help but feel that 5 years from now, when the healthcare system is in worse shape (because they didn't address any of the problems that needed reform) people won't be so happy about this bill; but I also am starting to suspect that the rush to pass this bill had less to do with healthcare reform as it did to increase taxes today to reduce the deficit.

Edit: A similar situation that I can think of was in the 1990s when legislation was written to increase home ownership and make houses more affordable there was probably people cheering about how great this was; and blissfully unaware that they had contributed towards the creating of a system that was unsustainable and would blow up in their face.

TheRealMafoo said:
psrock said:
TheRealMafoo said:
psrock said:

It will, but not sure why your so happy about it. Well, other then to just try and be annoying in this thread.

I am not you, I am actually for this "Bill" now law, and you expect me to be sad because history have been made today. The same group of people who spent trillions on crappy war are against health insurance for American people. It's a great day for me and my family, you should see us celebrating.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:

I am not you, I am actually for this "Bill" now law, and you expect me to be sad because history have been made today. The same group of people who spent trillions on crappy war are against health insurance for American people. It's a great day for me and my family, you should see us celebrating.

I was against the war too, but anyway...

Can you tell me how you, or your families lives will be better due to this bill? What's going to change for you?

if you have insurance, you will just pay more. If you didn't, you will be forced to buy it. Where's the upside?

Around the Network

I turned on Fox news to hear more about this. stupid me all I hear is the scare tactics like any other day in any news group.

Miguel_Zorro said:

I'm a Canadian. I think most Americans don't know what they're getting themselves into.

If I get sick, I have to wait several hours to see a doctor. When I finally get to see a doctor, I get maybe 10 minutes with them. What good is "free" health care (It's not free, I pay more for it through taxes than I would pay in a free market system) if I can't get it when I need it? Generally, if I go to a doctor, I leave without getting the issue resolved.

I'll use a common analogy - the car. In the American system, everybody buys the car that they can afford. Some people can afford amazing cars. Unfortunately, some people can't afford a car at all.

In the Canadian system, the people who can afford the really nice car still have to pay for it, but they don't get it. Instead, everybody gets the same, unreliable 30 year old car. 9 times out of 10, it doesn't even start. On the 1 time out of 10 that it actually does start, you're lucky if it doesn't blow up with you inside it.

Lots of health care systems have their problems. The American system has issues that have needed fixing for a long time. However, people who hold up the Canadian system as some sort of success model (I'm looking at you, Michael Moore) are either ignorant, intentionally misleading people, or both.

I think it's your post that is intentionally misleading people.  Any emergency room is based on triage and the reason you waited for so long is because they deemed others to be have a more serious medical emergency.  You would experience the exact same kinds of wait times in the majority of hospitals in the United States. 

If you ever find yourself in a serious accident you'll be singing the praises of our system because that's really where it shines.  The majority of bankruptcies in the United States have medical costs as a signficant factor.  Also for those that will try to blame that on a lack of health insurance, 75% of such bankruptcies are from families covered by health insurance.*

As for your 1 out of 10 claim, where are you getting that from?  Are you claiming 9 out of 10 Canadians die because of inadequate medical care?  Are you saying 9 out of 10 people in Canada don't get adequate medical care?  Seriously what exactly are you claiming and show us some numbers to back up your claim.

*Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5530Y020090604

Now I'm not against having a public healthcare option (I've used both private and public facilities in my country and been treated well in both), and I will admit that I don't know the specifics of the bill.

Let me just ask.
How is this being funded? Because it strikes me as strange that for a country that has a government so far in debt, with people dumping the greenback as the reserve currency of the world and with two costly and arguably useless wars going on, that the US government wants to spend more money and increase the scope of its operations into yet another industry.

It just seems strange, its like the US government doesn't really care about the debt its in. Its even stranger that they want to do this so soon after spending so much on the stimulating the economy aswell.

Just saying...

TheRealMafoo said:
psrock said:

Can you tell me how you, or your families lives will be better due to this bill? What's going to change for you?

if you have insurance, you will just pay more. If you didn't, you will be forced to buy it. Where's the upside?

I know plenty people in Brooklyn New york including in my family who currently have no health insurance. Some work jobs that don't provide it. They have to go and spend 8 HOURS in Kings County Hospital just to get a chance to see a doctor. You should see the way they threat these people.

I have never qualified for medicaid or family Health plus because I make too much which is nothing really, and I won't mind paying just so I feel protected. This means a lot to us in New York. I know many won't understand, but in this country the people who really need health insurance can't get it sometimes. This will end, and MR Obama is the one that will do it. What a wonderful day.

Next Gen 

psrock said:
TheRealMafoo said:
psrock said:

I know plenty people in Brooklyn New york including in my family who currently have no health insurance. Some work jobs that don't provide it. They have to go and spend 8 HOURS in Kings County Hospital just to get a chance to see a doctor. You should see the way they threat these people.

I have never qualified for medicaid or family Health plus because I make too much which is nothing really, and I won't mind paying just so I feel protected. This means a lot to us in New York. I know many won't understand, but in this country the people who really need health insurance can't get it sometimes. This will end, and MR Obama is the one that will do it. What a wonderful day.

I have to use a Free Clinic at the moment myself and wait for along time for mostly decent help. I do not get treated badly though. If anything major ever happened to me I would be screwed as hell. I cant get normal insurance from my current work will in the future though at my degree job. Also, I can not really get any insurance at the moment due to a shoulder injury form a few years ago. Even if I did manage It would be horrible coverage any anything to do with my arms and back and upper chest would be denied based on my shoulders.