By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The biggest domestic US vote of my lifetime is today...

HappySqurriel said:
mirgro said:

The DoI clearly states Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. How is one person allowed to pursue happiness if they don't have the most basic medical needs met? Even better, how is government protecting your right to life under those same conditions?

If someone could stretch those words into "we can build roads connecting the entire country," then let me tell you, universal healthcare is a far smaller stretch of the words. In the end there are only 3 things a government needs to do, infrastructure, defense, and health. So I really do not see how you can say you want government to do only what it is said it is allowed to do, yet be against universal healthcare.

It depends on what you mean by "most basic medical needs met" ...

On one end of the spectrum you can have the government providing vaccination clinics to ensure that easy to control communicable diseases don’t impact quality of life; and on the other end of the spectrum you have government paying for superficial plastic surgery because people are depressed about being not really, really, ridiculously good looking.

I’m certain that there is a middle ground that many people who oppose government run healthcare can agree upon; for example, I think there is a level of coverage (regular check-ups, dealing with minor emergencies like broken limbs and stitches) which represent a small fraction of healthcare costs and the bureaucratic cost of insurance companies or the government to pay for them is (probably) greater than the cost of the care.

Well I had a friend, long sotry short, she worked for a long time, divorce, crisis, she didn't have health care while she moved to a new place and was looking for a job. She had a problem with her shoulder, where she couldn't really move it past certain angles without serious pain. She couldn't even get an X-Ray done to know what was up until she found insurance of some sort.  I am sorry, but a system where you can't even get an X-Ray done is an outright broken system. Even in the broken economies of Eastern Europe I can go get an X-Ray done for about 20 USD.  Definitely doesn't go along with the "pursuit of happiness" idea.

@Mafoo

I am going to overlook the laughable metaphor you used to call taxes slavery. I'm well aware it was supposed to be property since those are the exact same words Locke used. Again you cite that the government shouldn't take your money for someone else, then here is my question. By those standards why should they take your money for defense or the roads? Are you going to use the roads on the other side of the country? Will the soldiers over in Alaska somehow personally defend you? Why do you accept even those taxes? It seems to me that you are a very strong supporter of anarchy.

Around the Network
mirgro said:

@Mafoo

I am going to overlook the laughable metaphor you used to call taxes slavery. I'm well aware it was supposed to be property since those are the exact same words Locke used. Again you cite that the government shouldn't take your money for someone else, then here is my question. By those standards why should they take your money for defense or the roads? Are you going to use the roads on the other side of the country? Will the soldiers over in Alaska somehow personally defend you? Why do you accept even those taxes? It seems to me that you are a very strong supporter of anarchy.

So if we were a country of two, and you made twice as much as me, you would not think the government taking 25% of your income to give to me (so we made the same), is not a hindering your pursuit of happiness?

As for military, all people are protected the same by it. Yes, the Navy personel in Alaska is defending me, along with all Americans just the same.

You keep calling me an anarchist. I guess I will start doing the same. You are starting to sound a lot like a communist.

See how stupid that sounds?

TheRealMafoo said:
mirgro said:

@Mafoo

So if we were a country of two, and you made twice as much as me, you would not think the government taking 25% of your income to give to me (so we made the same), is not a hindering your pursuit of happiness?

As for military, all people are protected the same by it. Yes, the Navy personel in Alaska is defending me, along with all Americans just the same.

You keep calling me an anarchist. I guess I will start doing the same. You are starting to sound a lot like a communist.

See how stupid that sounds?

I don't see how those Alaskan personel are defending you considering that attacks seem to be coming in from a completely different direction. In fact you don't even live there so they don't really protect you, they protect whoever is in Alaska. You seem to have dodged the infrastructure question as well.

If I and you were just a country of two I''d give you 100% of my income if I had to keep you around because otherwise I'd go insane by being alone. Also if we made the same there's a lot less chance you will stab me in the back to get my money. In either case, we'd prosper more if we had equivalent monies.

I'm fine with being a communist, at least it's some semblance of government that ensures human progression.

It will pass but by a slim margin. The executive order (which doesn't take effect until 2014 and may be reversed at anytime) brought the pro-life Stupak Dems on board.

I would expect a judicial challenge by the states but the question here is standing.

mirgro said:
HappySqurriel said:
mirgro said:

The DoI clearly states Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. How is one person allowed to pursue happiness if they don't have the most basic medical needs met? Even better, how is government protecting your right to life under those same conditions?

If someone could stretch those words into "we can build roads connecting the entire country," then let me tell you, universal healthcare is a far smaller stretch of the words. In the end there are only 3 things a government needs to do, infrastructure, defense, and health. So I really do not see how you can say you want government to do only what it is said it is allowed to do, yet be against universal healthcare.

It depends on what you mean by "most basic medical needs met" ...

On one end of the spectrum you can have the government providing vaccination clinics to ensure that easy to control communicable diseases don’t impact quality of life; and on the other end of the spectrum you have government paying for superficial plastic surgery because people are depressed about being not really, really, ridiculously good looking.

I’m certain that there is a middle ground that many people who oppose government run healthcare can agree upon; for example, I think there is a level of coverage (regular check-ups, dealing with minor emergencies like broken limbs and stitches) which represent a small fraction of healthcare costs and the bureaucratic cost of insurance companies or the government to pay for them is (probably) greater than the cost of the care.

Well I had a friend, long sotry short, she worked for a long time, divorce, crisis, she didn't have health care while she moved to a new place and was looking for a job. She had a problem with her shoulder, where she couldn't really move it past certain angles without serious pain. She couldn't even get an X-Ray done to know what was up until she found insurance of some sort.  I am sorry, but a system where you can't even get an X-Ray done is an outright broken system. Even in the broken economies of Eastern Europe I can go get an X-Ray done for about 20 USD.  Definitely doesn't go along with the "pursuit of happiness" idea.

From my (limited) understanding knowing many Canadians who have paid out of pocket for medical care in the US, there is very little you can't pay cash for in the American healthcare system; and an X-Ray and medical consultation would probably cost less than $500. While that is certainly not cheap, lack of insurance was certainly not the reason she couldn't get it.

Around the Network

@mirgro -

Here is my question:

Why didn't she have insurance when she moved to another state?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Esmoreit said:
Just... explain to me one more time why free health care is bad? I mean, we Europeans have had it for decennia and it works great for us. Insurance companies are still competing and turning a profit. The quality of care in the EU is on average higher then the US (even higher if you only take the west of the EU) according to the WHO... What is so different in the US? Why wouldn't they be able to implement this right?

Also, going back to your Caterpillar arguement in the OP Mafoo - I'd say it levels the field of competition. Here in Europe, companies have been insuring their employees for decennia.

Well for one... it's not free healthcare.  And not in the "someone has to pay for it" free healthcare.

It's in the... people still have to pay for their own healthcare, this does nothing to control costs, and are going to offer subsidies that will probably at best cover the increases that result in all of the assesability additions.

As was already stated... the WHO studies didn't actually hold a single statistic that involved the results of actual healthcare... the closest thing they rated that was considered how effective healthcare was, was asking people "How healthy they feel."

That was it, and that doesn't even take in numerous cultural factors that would effect such an answer.  For example, the US is VERY high on stress.

Esmoreit said:
Just... explain to me one more time why free health care is bad? I mean, we Europeans have had it for decennia and it works great for us. Insurance companies are still competing and turning a profit. The quality of care in the EU is on average higher then the US (even higher if you only take the west of the EU) according to the WHO... What is so different in the US? Why wouldn't they be able to implement this right?

Also, going back to your Caterpillar arguement in the OP Mafoo - I'd say it levels the field of competition. Here in Europe, companies have been insuring their employees for decennia.

Here is the problem:

No system is free. Someone pays in every system. In European systems, there are general taxes to ensure that everyone has health care. It does see *some* health savings.

In our system, if we had such a tax, and kept the underlying problems intact (which for the most part, they are still there with current legislation), then the cost to people for a European-style system would be FAR more expensive.

Imagine suddenly paying 2-3 times as much for your health care as you do now. Would you want such a system? If not, that is what we would get. The American system of health care has some problems - there isn't sufficent competition, and there is much frivolity and corruption in the current program. Oh, and don't forget that any extra health care in the US doesn't tackle underlying problems like obesity which increase health care costs in general.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Just chiming in that Obama cancelled his trip to Australia to pass this bill. Great show of support for supposed allies. Then in his speech about his newly planned trip to this part of the world he only mentioned Indonesia and had to issue an clarification that he was going to Australia aswell.

Plenty of Aussies are pretty pissed atm about it. Not that I personally care that much, but it seems that everything the Obama administration does this week has pissed people off.

TheRealMafoo said:
NinjaguyDan said:
Kasz216 said:
Zucas said:
I still have mixed feelings on all of this. If it passes, well then we haven't done our job right as this is not going to help. But if it doesn't pass, we screw health care reform for years to come and big insurance companies can continue to "rape" Americans of their rights.

This is really just what happens when you have a government of all the people who shouldn't be elected. We elect "suits" and for the rest of us we have no representation. And then they see the only representation they think we have are these extremist neo-fascists that call themselves the "tea party".

I guess for me I'm pretty apathetic about the situation as I really don't care what happens now. When its all over anyways, no one will give a shit anymore just like they never give a shit before the media tells them to care. And that's the big problem in America. The people don't care until they think they are supposed to care, and then they get it wrong. Guess I don't blame the "suits" in Congress as much as I blame the people themselves.

Oh well, after work I'll see what happened.

Health insurance companys aren't screwing america. That's just a silly statement. Non-profit health insurance isn't any cheaper then for profit insurance. That's the problem with this bill... insurance companies aren't the base problem.

So, you're saying that eliminating those obscene executive pay packages and perks wouldn't show any savings whatsoever?

That's correct. In a world run by greed (current for profit insurance company) efficiency is king. In a non profit insurance company, they run far less efficient. It's why not for profit doesn't cost any less.

Efficiency: Collect premiums from your healthy customers for years. When they eventually need health care, refuse to pay their claims, then find a reason to drop them entirely.

Switch: SW-5066-1525-5130

XBL: GratuitousFREEK