By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do people vote for Hilary and Obama?

leo-j said:
Hilary is going to give free medicare for everyone..

Umm... have you even heard her policy? It is NOT free. Infact those who currently can't, or choose not to, pay for health care will get screwed because she will make it law that you have to have health care. 

And whomever thinks Hilary has more experince than Obama: wrong they've both been US senators for the same amount of time and he has been in politics just as long as she's been first lady. 

Around the Network
The_vagabond7 said:
I don't think obama will win for the very reason that the clinton campaign hits him so hard for. Inexperience. And not because he doesn't know what's going on, but because unfortunately you do have to know how to play the game. American politics isn't based on "who's the best candidate" it's based on who can play the political game the best. Who can raise the most money, who can get the right kind of press, who's got the best team or writers and stategists, who's got the most favors to call in, who can get their face plasters on the most magazines and TV ads, who can fool the masses the best. And unfortunately for obama he just doesn't have the Washington experience that Hillary does. I don't mean that as a slam to obama, I'm very cynical about politics and for the reason he appeals to me, but I don't think he can win.

Obama has almost as much experience as Hillary does.  Why do you think Hillary has so much experience?  Her experience as first lady?  Don't make me laugh - in charge of one thing (health care) that failed miserably.  She is in her first term as a senator, just like Obama.  She hasn't had any legislation she originated passed in her first term.  She's definitely a lightweight when it comes to experience compared to people like Dodd, Biden, Richardson...even Dennis Kucinich!

And to all those who are not from the U.S. saying how they want a Democrat elected because it would so much better for the world as a whole, I laugh in your general direction due to your utter ignorance of American politics and history.  You think that U.S. foreign policy will be drastically different with a Democrat in the White House?  You're in for a big surprise.  Most of you probably don't know much about the differences (small though they may be) between Republicans and Democrats anyway.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Nintendownsmii said:
leo-j said:

Umm... have you even heard her policy? It is NOT free. Infact those who currently can't, or choose not to, pay for health care will get screwed because she will make it law that you have to have health care.

This is a common misconception, especially among underage folks who know little about politics like leo-j.  OMGWTFBBQ, the government is paying for it so that means it's FREE!!11!111!  Anyone who knows anything will realize that government, being less efficient than the private sector in every single thing it ever has done in its history, will spend more of our money (involuntarily, unlike the current system) on health care than we do now, and the service will be worse.  Or we will spend the same amount and the service will be much, much worse.  Or we will spend a ton more and the service will be the same.  Bottom line, we, the taxpayers, lose.  Although I guess leo-j doesn't pay taxes, so no big deal, right?

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

supermario128 said:
Hilary better not win, Bill was problably one of the worst presidents ever and she'll problably be the same. I want Obama to win personally, not that it matters since I can't vote yet anyway.

Sarcasm? I mean, Bill Clinton is totally the Closer on my MLB Power Pros team. Aside from liking BJs he was a great president. 

Well, then again, compaired to these last few years, William Henry Harrison was a great president

I read Obama's "memoirs" Dreams from my father on vacation this year and it was tremendous. Ive been rocking the Obama bumper sticker for over 6 months....

Hes just, such a breath of fresh air. Hes the least political of the bunch, meaning, to me hes seems like the least of a politician. Hes warm, enagaging, speaks well, has a tremendous image and is very very very intelligent....not, "my dad is rich an dima go to Yale and scrape by with C's and have everyting handed to me" smart, smart smart. Ive agreed with his stance on the war (he voted no before whereas hilary and many dems voted yes and tried to back out saying they were "mislead") I love his conviction and his persona.

Hes focused on national healthcare, which im in favor of (before anyone trashes it, do some research on other countries, it works and can work the only thing stopping it is our greedy american practices who need 9 bedroom homes and a yacht instead of 5 bedroom homes and a sailboat for DR's and our selfish attitude as americans, rather than focus on the 95% of legitimate people that need and owuld use it, we will focus on the 5% that abuse it and use that as cause for failure) Whereas hilary tried when her husband was in office and now, after some nice HMO's donated to her compaign and gave some money she seems a bit quiet on the issue, go figure.

I've never been more excited for a political race than i am now.

on a side, lol at soriku for posting this thread....you remind of some kid who just hears mom and dad watching Fox news and regurgitates the stuff you hear onto a message board....."they dont look for what they have to offer" not sure what that means but id be willing to guess you have no idea what either of them offers.

Around the Network

I hope Mccain somehow pulls it out.

I'm still pissed Rove screwed him out of the nomination by spreading the rumor that his adopted child was a black baby that he had with an illegitamite black mother to screw up his support in the primaries.

I mean, that's just the lowest of blows.

ripper said:
HOLY CRAP! What has a demo ever done right for America. Because Bush hasn't had much success doesn't mean a demo will do much better. If a dem wins i truly believe America will be LESS safe! Anyways most of the canidates make me sick, i think I will do a write in for Ronald Reagan.

Reagan would probably do about as much work now as president as he did back when he was president last time.  He was the master delegator.  He didn't even need to stay awake in security meetings.

I'm not too into politics, and taking an AP Government and Politics class made me even more cynical. It's pretty interesting reading what y'all are saying and realizing all the ways you've been manipulated by the candidates.

In the end, most voters vote retrogressively (Is that the right word?  I'm going for looking back instead of looking at what's ahead.), so I'm pretty sure this upcoming election will go Democrat, whoever they may nominate.

elprincipe said:
Nintendownsmii said:
leo-j said:

Umm... have you even heard her policy? It is NOT free. Infact those who currently can't, or choose not to, pay for health care will get screwed because she will make it law that you have to have health care.

This is a common misconception, especially among underage folks who know little about politics like leo-j. OMGWTFBBQ, the government is paying for it so that means it's FREE!!11!111! Anyone who knows anything will realize that government, being less efficient than the private sector in every single thing it ever has done in its history, will spend more of our money (involuntarily, unlike the current system) on health care than we do now, and the service will be worse. Or we will spend the same amount and the service will be much, much worse. Or we will spend a ton more and the service will be the same. Bottom line, we, the taxpayers, lose. Although I guess leo-j doesn't pay taxes, so no big deal, right?

I touche don this briefly in my earlier post. I pay my taxes, i live pretty damn well as im sure everyone on here does, owning a game system and having internet access.....ive got a PS3, a roof over my head, a good family that loves me, this laptop, high speed internet....i, like almost every american who complains about taxpayers losing, can EASILY afford the extra hike in taxes. Alas, we are a selfish, selfish country, we look out for only ouselves (which is funny that most of those people up in arms about not paying more taxes so folks can get dialysis or prescriptions are okay with senidn my friends and kids to die for a civil war on foreign soil) Its all about the dollar and outta site outta mind (great wilco song by the way, hehe).

We bitch as americans when our taxes are touched to aid folks in need in this country, but dont care about billions of dollars, not to mention human life being spent to help folks thousands of miles away. An interesting time indeed where a couple thouasnd young men and women are worth a foreign civil war, but god forbid we pay an extra $50 or so a month to provide healthcare in the richest country on earth. Intersting indeed.

The war is justified by those handful of folks that want us there and embrace us, yet the majority do not....however, when it comes to health care in this country, the mantra is the opposite....we cant think of it because of the minority that wil abuse it and ignore the majority that need it. We socialized primary and secondary education, the mail system.....its possible, it can be done other countries utilize it, there are instances of slow care, there are always certain stories, theres always two sides....but id like to error on the side of giving up a couple of nights out my with my girlfriend and some new clothes a year to help some folks in this country with the terrible burden and worry that comes with not being able to provide healthcare for their families....but thats just, imo. 

leo-j said:

Edwards actually has a far better and much more comprehensive plan. Seriously, I don't understand why more people don't look at John Edwards. If you know any history, you can draw some pretty significant parallels between Edwards and FDR. John Edwards is a populist and he only has the people's interests in mind. He is a champion of campaign financial reform, and all of his money comes from his supporters. It may sound a cliche, but he fights for the little guy and has for quite some time. You can tell that he'd be a good candidate, because instead of attacking him, the righties attack the fact that he had an expensive haircut. Unlike most politicians, Edwards is a very decent and incredibly honest man, and he actually wants what's best for the people. Truthfully, I want an Edwards/Obama ticket.

As much as I don't want to have to vote for Hillary though, I would take her over anybody the Republicans have to offer. Ron Paul is the closest thing to an actual Republican in the field (and the only one I can respect), but I would never vote for somebody who would dismantle public education and ensure that we couldn't get public healthcare. The government's responsibility should be for the people first