By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor Microsoft To Announce $149 Slim At E3

Shawnzee said:
TaichungSteve said:
I'm not understanding why there would be a limit of 32GB. Could someone please explain this to me? I have a 250GB usb external hard drive hooked up to my macbook right now. Why would that be incompatible?

You could use all 250 gigs if you only wanted to use it as media storage(pictures, movies, music) but if you wanted to use the hdd for gamesaves, dlc, game installs you would only be able to use 16 gigs of that space, and you'd have to format the harddrive(Which deletes everything)

I see, thanks. So then it would be possible to use one slot for game saves and DLC and whatnot, and the second slot could be used strictly as a media dump, with whatever size you would like? Seems like a decent solution, especially if paired with a small internal drive.

Around the Network
Falcon204 said:
I think they might keep the price the same but bundle natal with it.

Initially I thought that Natal might only be $50 standalone and that they might cut the price of the Elite about $25 but after reading that article I think I'm going to have to reconsider. If the tech guru thinks that $50 is totally crazy and Natal really is $75-$100 than I really do think a true pricecut for the elite if it's bundled would be unfeasible. But then again Heck might be wrong, we'll just have to wait and see.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

HoodFigga said:
If true, I think this pretty much puts Sony in last for the rest of this gen.

No it doesn't. The 360 arcade is already $100 cheaper and is getting its ass kicked weekly. What makes you think an extra $50 cheaper will make the difference?

postofficebuddy said:
Falcon204 said:
I think they might keep the price the same but bundle natal with it.

Initially I thought that Natal might only be $50 standalone and that they might cut the price of the Elite about $25 but after reading that article I think I'm going to have to reconsider. If the tech guru thinks that $50 is totally crazy and Natal really is $75-$100 than I really do think a true pricecut for the elite if it's bundled would be unfeasible. But then again Heck might be wrong, we'll just have to wait and see.

MS took out some the internals of Natal to get the price down, so I dont think Natal would be that expensive.

twesterm said:
Smashed said:
Most of these rumors now are starting because of that motherboard that came out of... china?

Chances are that it's probably fake, China, japan, etc. is known for it's mock up's of real things >_>.

I was pretty dubious of the slim rumor yesterday but I'm starting to believe it more and more now, though I still don't believe the $360 will go below $199.  The other models might get a price cut, I doubt the $199 will.

Can't argue with that !

Although it would be quite amusing if $360 is suddenly less worth than $199...

Around the Network

it wont do a huge drastic change in the sales war, a cut from $279 to $199 is FAR GREATER since its the perfect price point for a console, than a cut from $199 to $149, it will obviously boost sales, but not to the extent that pushes it 2-3 times higher than it currently is based on market trends in the past.

mM

So the Slim doesn't come with a HDD right? It's basically the Arcade. Meaning the Arcade drops in price by $50 along with going on a diet. If you want an Elite Slim (meaning the true equivalent of a PS3) you have to buy the USB HDD on top of that. At least being a USB HDD you can buy whatever HDD you want. Or are MS going to make a proprietary USB HDD and charge you more per GB than you could get "on the open market" as it were?

I think Sony should be capable of making a $50 price cut on non-Move bundled PS3's before Christmas sales start in response. Question is will they?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I'm not too sure what the price point will be yet but trust me the slim 360 is very much real. That motherboard was far too elaborate to be faked IMO.

leo-j said:
it wont do a huge drastic change in the sales war, a cut from $279 to $199 is FAR GREATER since its the perfect price point for a console, than a cut from $199 to $149, it will obviously boost sales, but not to the extent that pushes it 2-3 times higher than it currently is based on market trends in the past.

A 149 dollars Slim Arcade would be huge come holiday time, for two reasons

1: Previous 360 owners would be less apprehensive about rebuying if the console was that cheap

2: Budget Consious Moms

Not to mention the likelyhood of the Elite dropping down to 249, which would be huge.

binary solo said:
So the Slim doesn't come with a HDD right? It's basically the Arcade. Meaning the Arcade drops in price by $50 along with going on a diet. If you want an Elite Slim (meaning the true equivalent of a PS3) you have to buy the USB HDD on top of that. At least being a USB HDD you can buy whatever HDD you want. Or are MS going to make a proprietary USB HDD and charge you more per GB than you could get "on the open market" as it were?

I think Sony should be capable of making a $50 price cut on non-Move bundled PS3's before Christmas sales start in response. Question is will they?

There is no real reason in buying a USB HDD for it, since you can only use 16GB per drive on the 360. USB flash drive would be smarter.

An Elite Slim will probably have internal storage or will use newly designed external HDDs. I personally don't think that the old ones will be supported.