By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor Microsoft To Announce $149 Slim At E3

Chairman-Mao said:
r505Matt said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Chairman-Mao said:
HoodFigga said:
If true, I think this pretty much puts Sony in last for the rest of this gen.

No it doesn't. The 360 arcade is already $100 cheaper and is getting its ass kicked weekly. What makes you think an extra $50 cheaper will make the difference?

You aren't considering the many who want the console with a hard drive. A $50 price cut will be a definite deal breaker. Also, the update that allows USB stick support will make the Arcade models more desireable.

Okay as for the USB thing, I have no idea what that means and I'd consider myself fairly informed about gaming related things; so I doubt the average gamer (casual gamer or whatever) will know either so that won't make a difference.

And yeah I'm not saying a $50 drop won't help but I don't think it's gonna skyrocket 360 above PS3. $200 (current price) is very affordable already so I don't think too many people who want an Xbox 360 were waiting for it to drop lower than $200. Its not like the PS3 which went from an expensive $400 to a fairly affordable $300 when they did the slim.

So yeah it'll help and the 360 will probably go back to dominating in North America (its pretty close right now) but it won't stop the PS3 IMO.

As in you don't know what USB is? Or you don't know what a USB flash drive is? My friends who wouldn't know what you're talking about if you mention video card or motherboard do know what a USB flash drive is. And it's not hard to understand "Plug in a USB flash drive into an Xbox 360 for up to 16gb of storage space per flash drive". What don't you understand about that?

OT: There are too many people here assuming that a possible slim model cannot incorporate the current xbox HDs. For one, and let's assume the xbox is standing upright, they could always design it so the HD plugs in on the right side, parallel with the DVD disc tray as opposed to it's current perpendicular set-up. Actually, when I first heard the idea of the 360 slim, that's what I imagined they would do.

Yeah I know what a USB is, of course, I just didn't see how it related to the Xbox 360 or what the big deal was. Even after you explained it I don't see the big deal, but it is somewhat handy, I guess.

Well, once the update is up, I'll be able to get more storage space for free (I have access to TONS of flash drives of various sizes). Now people can use flash drives (that they may already have) instead of buying a HDD, so for arcade users and people who still have the Pro (like myself), this is pretty cool. This also may make it possible to just use a computer as a storage unit. Copy to the flash drive, and then copy to the computer, but who knows, they may try to block that somehow, which wouldn't be so cool, but whatever.

Around the Network
r505Matt said:
Chairman-Mao said:
r505Matt said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Chairman-Mao said:
HoodFigga said:

No it doesn't. The 360 arcade is already $100 cheaper and is getting its ass kicked weekly. What makes you think an extra $50 cheaper will make the difference?

You aren't considering the many who want the console with a hard drive. A $50 price cut will be a definite deal breaker. Also, the update that allows USB stick support will make the Arcade models more desireable.

Okay as for the USB thing, I have no idea what that means and I'd consider myself fairly informed about gaming related things; so I doubt the average gamer (casual gamer or whatever) will know either so that won't make a difference.

And yeah I'm not saying a $50 drop won't help but I don't think it's gonna skyrocket 360 above PS3. $200 (current price) is very affordable already so I don't think too many people who want an Xbox 360 were waiting for it to drop lower than $200. Its not like the PS3 which went from an expensive $400 to a fairly affordable $300 when they did the slim.

So yeah it'll help and the 360 will probably go back to dominating in North America (its pretty close right now) but it won't stop the PS3 IMO.

As in you don't know what USB is? Or you don't know what a USB flash drive is? My friends who wouldn't know what you're talking about if you mention video card or motherboard do know what a USB flash drive is. And it's not hard to understand "Plug in a USB flash drive into an Xbox 360 for up to 16gb of storage space per flash drive". What don't you understand about that?

OT: There are too many people here assuming that a possible slim model cannot incorporate the current xbox HDs. For one, and let's assume the xbox is standing upright, they could always design it so the HD plugs in on the right side, parallel with the DVD disc tray as opposed to it's current perpendicular set-up. Actually, when I first heard the idea of the 360 slim, that's what I imagined they would do.

Yeah I know what a USB is, of course, I just didn't see how it related to the Xbox 360 or what the big deal was. Even after you explained it I don't see the big deal, but it is somewhat handy, I guess.

Well, once the update is up, I'll be able to get more storage space for free (I have access to TONS of flash drives of various sizes). Now people can use flash drives (that they may already have) instead of buying a HDD, so for arcade users and people who still have the Pro (like myself), this is pretty cool. This also may make it possible to just use a computer as a storage unit. Copy to the flash drive, and then copy to the computer, but who knows, they may try to block that somehow, which wouldn't be so cool, but whatever.

Okay that's pretty cool. So basically you can use flash drives like memory cards. That's cool.

Chairman-Mao said:
r505Matt said:
Chairman-Mao said:
r505Matt said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Chairman-Mao said:
HoodFigga said:

Okay that's pretty cool. So basically you can use flash drives like memory cards. That's cool.

theoreticly you have infinit space because you can have as many as you want but only 2 plugged in at a time... so you could have a couple of games per and one for movies... so on and so forth... and I suspect that it would be possible to partition a hdd up in 16 gigs and create so way to switch partitions... but that's not something I'm knowledgable about

Think about it a 360 Arcade with 8GB storage will be about $160.00. 16GB sticks can be had for low $30s and who knows by holidays could be in the $20s.

Also have wondered if the Xbox Dashboard gets totally Natal enabled. Could MS release a SKI that is without a standard controller. So console, Natal and Natal game for say $200.00.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Everybody is talking about a 360 slim due to the leaked shrinked motherboad.

What do you guys think about a new Arcade model where Natal is inbuilt? -> therefore the smaller mainboard? that would be the perfect product for casual gamers...

Wenn killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler killen, dann killen killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler.

Around the Network

@sirvice,

What about Natal would be inbuilt?

The core parts of the Natal are the cameras. Imagine if the Wii Sensor bar was part of the Wii console. Would really limit where you could put the Wii now wouldnt it. The Natal camera unit needs to be a separate unit.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

@thx1139 yeah true, vertical stand wouldnt work anymore.

Wenn killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler killen, dann killen killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler.

Making the 360 slim will not make me want to buy it. It's about the games and the PS3 still have the games I perfer. A slim 360 could help sales go up in Japan.

Cueil said:
Chairman-Mao said:
r505Matt said:
Chairman-Mao said:
r505Matt said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Chairman-Mao said:
HoodFigga said:

theoreticly you have infinit space because you can have as many as you want but only 2 plugged in at a time... so you could have a couple of games per and one for movies... so on and so forth... and I suspect that it would be possible to partition a hdd up in 16 gigs and create so way to switch partitions... but that's not something I'm knowledgable about

Actually, the 16 Gb limit is supposedly only be for games stuff, so things like saves, full games, DLC, etc. You could have a 1.5 Tb drive, use the 16 Gb for games, and the rest for movies, music, TV shows, etc.

Microsoft played it smart by not making the 360 as advanced as possible. Sony was dead wrong when they said that consumers would pay any price for quality. Microsoft basicly made the PS2 of this gen, it can keep up with the graphic king (xbox last gen) but is cheaper at the same time.

Still I have to see it before I believe it but if they can make a 360 Slim for that price then Sony is in for a hard time. I think especially in America Natal + 360 Slim could become the new Wii. Sony is right about Natal being so-so for hardcore games but Microsoft already won the hardcore market it is the mainstream market they are after now.