By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The HeartGold/SoulSilver Pokemon Team Thread!

Current SoulSilver Team after 5 badges:

Around the Network
shrimpy_boy11 said:
thanks Lestatdark!

well...in the end i did go with totodile! he looks so cool walking behind me lol

Just got back to elm's lab, after the robbery. Heading off on my journey now planning to pick up a Gastly and/or geodude on my way :D

If you ever need help to trade-evolve your Gastly or Geodude, just say so. I'll be needing help soon too, to evolve my Scyther to Scizor xD 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Umbreon Arcanine Poliwrath

Electric Type
Luxray
Raichu (w/Fly)
Ampharos

Machamp
Lucario
Other?

who?

(maybe needs fly)

ok, I have all badges and I beat the elite four once. However, I decided I wanted to switch my team up (for no real reason other than fun), but I need the help of pokemon experts to help make up my mind.

The first 3 are staying pretty much no matter what. Poliwrath is my Hypnosys guy, and he has Surf for Water, and Focus Punch for Fighting (put them to sleep first) and he has Blizzard to take out the dragons. For the times I need waterfall/whirlpool I have Feraligatr. Arcanine is my Fire guy with 3 fire attacks (Heat wave, Fire blast, and Flare Blitz) and he has Crunch to help out Umbreon with the Psychic type when I run into problems. Umbreon has Dark Pulse, Feint Attack, Psychic, and Dig (probably going to change Dig to something else)

I like a lot of the dark pokemon but I really like my Umbreon so I'm not sure I want a second dark type. The problem is that I don't want to use Legendary pokemon, and I pretty much have to have someone with fly cause I'm lazy and don't like walking everywhere. I also sorta need a main Fighting type pokemon for the Normal pokemon cause using Poliwhirl all the time would be a pain. I also want an electric type pokemon for the Water and Flying pokemon. I also sorta want to toss pidgeot as I think he is too "normal". So the problem is if I remove my pidgeot I either replace it with a flying Raichu and then don't know who to put in the last place (maybe Scizor), or I put in a Luxray (probably replacing my Ampharos) but which pokemon with fly do I use.

TLDR: help me pick my last 3 pokemon with the only restriction of having Fly, an Electric type, and a Fighting type and no legendaries. The cooler looking the better so long as they are capable fighters. Or possibly convince me to use something totally different.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Alrighty then! *cracks knuckles* Let's see what we have here!

Let's start with the typings we know you'll have and go from there. Here's each of your Pokemon's weaknesses (crossed out means that there's already a Pokemon on your team who has a type that can trump it):

• Umbreon - Bug / Fighting
  • Arcanine - Rock / Ground / Water
  • Poliwrath - Flying / Psychic / Electric / Grass
  • Luxray/Raichu/Ampharos - Ground

Okay, so based off of that you have two weaknesses (Fighting/Electric) that you can't properly counter. For Electric there's only ground types and for Fighting there's Psychic and Flying. Let's say you put either Machamp or Lucario in your team, here's what it'll look like:

• Lucario - Fighting / Fire

So that would be two Pokemon that have a weakness that can't be countered (Fighting types), so a flying or a psychic Pokemon would be a must.

• Machamp - Flying / Psychic

With Machamp, you're back to choosing Pokemon with Gound, Psychic, or Flying types.

Based off of these choices, here's Pokemon that you can choose from that can counter both types:

• Claydol (Ground/Psychic) Water / Grass / Dark / Ghost / Bug / Ice
  • Gliscor (Ground/Flying) Ice / Water

Or... if you don't want those Pokemon, you can always choose a type that's just Ground, Flying, or Psychic (Flying or Psychic is a must if you choose Lucario). It wont be the end of your team if you dont have a Proper Pokemon that can counter an Electric type (you can always switch in one of your own Electric types to stall it.). If you chose another Dark type (with Lucario), that would be three Pokemon who would be weak against Fighting... and I gotta say that having 3 of your Pokemon out of the picture isn't a pretty scenerio. If you really wanted another Dark type though, Spiritomb would be a great add (he has no weaknesses, and is immune to Psychic and Fighting attacks).

As for choosing between the Electric types, it's all about what you want. Do you want an Attacker (Luxray), Special Attacker (Ampharos), or a mixed attacker (Raichu)? Or you might even look into having a Jolteon, because your team could use some speed, regardless of the three Pokemon I recommended to you (Your team isn't the fastest one out there... even with Arcanine). I'll give you the highlights of each Electric Pokemon:

• Ampharos (Great Special Attack, Solid Special Defense, and good HP as well... but its Speed is definitely lacking)
    • HP: 90
    • Atk: 75
    • Def: 75
    • SpA: 115
    • SpD: 90
    • Spe: 55
  • Luxray (Great Attack, solid Special Attack as well, HP and Defenses aren't horrible either. But the Speed wont give you many first attacks)
    • HP: 80
    • Atk: 120
    • Def: 79
    • SpA: 95
    • SpD: 79
    • Spe: 70
  • Raichu (It's got solid Attack and Special Attack, and it's Speed makes it shine... but that HP and Defense make it a glass cannon.)
    • HP: 60
    • Atk: 90
    • Def: 50
    • SpA: 90
    • SpD: 80
    • Spe: 100
  • Jolteon (While Defensively it's pretty bad, it's awesome speed and Special Attack make it a quick and powerful attaker. There's not too many Pokemon who can outrun Jolteon)
    • HP: 65
    • Atk: 65
    • Def: 60
    • SpA: 110
    • SpD: 95
    • Spe: 130

Here's my recommendation for your team (In the end it's all about what you want anyway, so don't feel pressured into only choosing from this set. It's a team that I think will be the most effective against other "balanced" teams):

1. Arcanine: Mixed Attacker
2. Umbreon: Defensive Attacker
3. Poliwrath: Sleep Inducer/Focus Pawncher
4a. Jolteon: Special Speedster
4b. Luxray: Mixed Attacker
5. Machamp: Physical Attacker
6a. Gliscor: Defensive Attacker
6b. Claydol: Defensive Staller

Hey Smeags could you change my togetic for a Togekiss?

Around the Network

I also have a Togekiss in my team, though viewing my signature will allow you to see the entirety of my team.

My current team:

Mewtwo
Ho-oh
Feraligatr
Rayquaza
Groudon
Scizor

Went through the league a couple more times to train some of my Pokemon (I didn't expect Lance to have a lv. 75 but I still managed) and got myself a Charizard. He will replace either Groudon or Ho-oh once he's on a high enough level. Scizor and Feraligatr will stay in my team. Now I need to work on getting a Tyranitar, Dragonite, and Arcanine and then train my Machamp.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Currently, my team Pre-Red is the one on my Sig.

I'm building up to get a Salamence in there and probably will change Alakazam for a Galllade when Ralts are swarming on my game.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

my current team :)

I have my team in my sig :)