By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is God of War III that great?

Pure haters would like to post "Is game XXX that great?"

Why don't you just post How is GOWIII???

Around the Network
cura said:
bbsin said:
cura said:
it's definitely worth playing but unless you're a die hard god of war fan i'd suggest renting it.

it is the worst in the series.

anyway, kudos to santa monica for making a game as good as god of war 3 for their FIRST game on the ps3.

remember how much uncharted 2 improved on uncharted? i expect something similar from santa monica to be honest. really, for their first ps3 game, god of war 3 is spectacular effort even if it fall shorts of the lofty expectations.

The worst in the series? Gow1 had better puzzle elements and level design but the combat was behind the competition and the only thing going for Gow2 was the improved combat, but Gow3 is miles ahead in that apartment with the addition of the chain grabs, air dashing and weapon switching.

The only thing GOW3 doesn't have that the other games did, were the segments where you have to run alot.

the combat was behind the competition? i have to disagree there. the combat has always been the most enjoyable aspects of any god of war game. also, i don't think the ps2 was capable of having the grapple move otherwise they probably would have implemented it. Also, all of the changes to combat don't drastically change the combat, if anything they refine the combat but that's about it.

god of war 3 was a seriously let down in terms of the story, and this is a criticism that was highlighted in the US ign review. Also, it's 8 hours long (give or take). Really, I'd rather wait another 6 months for them to add more content, get the pacing right, fix the story, and fine tune the puzzles.

As I said before, this was SM's first game, and so these quibbles are to be expected somewhat, however, it did mean that for me, it was the worst in the series. You obviously disagree and that's fine. There's really no right or wrong answer here. 

I don't have a problem with your opinion, just curious about your reasoning. The story wouldn't have changed if they had 4 extra years much less 6 months, it's the first thing they did so they could build around the ideas. I also thought the story wasn't the best part of the game, especially near the end, but GOW2's story was hardly any better. The fact that the game lasts 8 hours (on normal), shouldn't even come into the equation since all GOW games are short, in fact, GOW3 offers more content than any of other games in the series.

As far as the "behind the competition" comment is concerned, yes, GOW1 doesn't have bad combat, but it was too simple and easy, even on harder difficulties. It lacked the depth and speed of games like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry.

Also, what's wrong with the pacing? I thought the game did a great job in pacing the action, puzzles and platforming. 

akuseru said:
twesterm said:
bbsin said:

If you want more depth in the combat, then play the game on a harder difficulty. The difficulty above the default should take away the notion of "mindless" combat. This was the case for GOW2 and GOW3, GOW1 I don't remember since it's been so long. There will be alot for strategy involved at a higher difficulty, you'll learn to fear what certain monsters bring to the table, while never getting the sense that it's just "cheap" or "not fair."

Call me a pussy, but I generally just don't play games on hard.  It's one of those stupid personal philosophy things but I only play games on hard if I beat it once on normal because I consider the medium difficulty the one the developers intended.

I'm playing it on their intended difficulty and it's just mindless.  As I said, don't take that as a bad thing, I'm not.

Oh really? I always start playing on hard, I never pick anything else. Actually, if I could, I would probably start GOW on Chaos. Doing my Chaos run now, just killed Hermes. Anyone here finished it on Chaos?

I'm actually in the labyrinth... that extended battle near the end is a pain in the ass. Square, Triangle, dodge is your best friend. And thank god you're invincible during the grab animations. The airdash and parrying is also super useful... and so is the gorgon summon (to some extent). I wish they made a trophy for beating chaos mode.

The monster I have the most problems with is the damn satyr.

Honestly , GOW III is great

I played it on hard and it didnt last 8 hour

I have to check but I believe I m more toward ... 14hour counting the many tries I needed to beat some boss

Time to Work !

Around the Network

GoW3 is better than 1 but not as good as 2. Just Platinumed it.

bbsin said:
akuseru said:
twesterm said:
bbsin said:

If you want more depth in the combat, then play the game on a harder difficulty. The difficulty above the default should take away the notion of "mindless" combat. This was the case for GOW2 and GOW3, GOW1 I don't remember since it's been so long. There will be alot for strategy involved at a higher difficulty, you'll learn to fear what certain monsters bring to the table, while never getting the sense that it's just "cheap" or "not fair."

Call me a pussy, but I generally just don't play games on hard.  It's one of those stupid personal philosophy things but I only play games on hard if I beat it once on normal because I consider the medium difficulty the one the developers intended.

I'm playing it on their intended difficulty and it's just mindless.  As I said, don't take that as a bad thing, I'm not.

Oh really? I always start playing on hard, I never pick anything else. Actually, if I could, I would probably start GOW on Chaos. Doing my Chaos run now, just killed Hermes. Anyone here finished it on Chaos?

I'm actually in the labyrinth... that extended battle near the end is a pain in the ass. Square, Triangle, dodge is your best friend. And thank god you're invincible during the grab animations. The airdash and parrying is also super useful... and so is the gorgon summon (to some extent). I wish they made a trophy for beating chaos mode.

The monster I have the most problems with is the damn satyr.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. WHY do devs not make you have to finish the games on the hardest difficult to plat a game? Isn't that the whole "point" with the trophies. Beating the game and being declared "Champion" of the game. Any moron could finish any game on normal difficulty, it's so boring. My friend started GOW3 on normal and was actually bored. And is there even a reward for clearing the game on Chaos? I just finished the garden now, so far the game is pretty easy on Chaos.

No reward for chaos. I got the Platinum in 9 hours.

Got up to the part of the game that was in th old demo.

Yeah

It's pretty insane.

Kantor said:
Beyond the first 20 minutes, it is incredible.

Wait, you didn't like the first boss battle?

Good God, man, what more do you want? It made GoW2's opening look like a joke!