By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is God of War III that great?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
mOeR-rpGee said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
God of War 3 so far is nowhere near as challenging as the other games, but it is soooooooooooo epic!!!!

are you playing it on god (normal) or titan (hard) because on hard the boss fights become painful. especially the cerberus (with the styar) and the the maze with the waves and waves of dudes.

Even the normal of GOW 2 was harder. I am not saying the game is bad....not every game has to be perfect. 

Impossible!  God of War cannot have faults!

And while I haven't gotten to 2 and 3 yet, I'm at the end of God of War and it's a button masher.  Considering nobody really disputes that God of War 3 is God of War 2 is God of War I can assume the others are button mashers (which isn't a bad thing, it is what it is).

I tried to do the combos and switch things up but I'm having much better success just spamming square with the occassional triangle and pressing L1 when I need to.  If anything big comes up I use to use Poseidon's Rage but now Army of Hades makes it even easier.  So far, the combat has been pretty mindless.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
mOeR-rpGee said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
God of War 3 so far is nowhere near as challenging as the other games, but it is soooooooooooo epic!!!!

are you playing it on god (normal) or titan (hard) because on hard the boss fights become painful. especially the cerberus (with the styar) and the the maze with the waves and waves of dudes.

Even the normal of GOW 2 was harder. I am not saying the game is bad....not every game has to be perfect. 

And while I haven't gotten to 2 and 3 yet, I'm at the end of God of War and it's a button masher.  Considering nobody really disputes that God of War 3 is God of War 2 is God of War I can assume the others are button mashers (which isn't a bad thing, it is what it is).

I tried to do the combos and switch things up but I'm having much better success just spamming square with the occassional triangle and pressing L1 when I need to.  If anything big comes up I use to use Poseidon's Rage but now Army of Hades makes it even easier.  So far, the combat has been pretty mindless.

If you want more depth in the combat, then play the game on a harder difficulty. The difficulty above the default should take away the notion of "mindless" combat. This was the case for GOW2 and GOW3, GOW1 I don't remember since it's been so long. There will be alot for strategy involved at a higher difficulty, you'll learn to fear what certain monsters bring to the table, while never getting the sense that it's just "cheap" or "not fair."

akuseru said:
bbsin said:
akuseru said:
twesterm said:

Just so you have a different opinion since everyone else will say buy it, I would say buy Bayonetta.

I'm playing God of War right now and it's a good game but I've been thinking the entire time I'd rather be playing Bayonetta.

Granted this is only God of War I'm playing but from everything I've heard God of War 3 is God of War 2 is God of War and I'm expecting to think the same at least all the way through God of War 2.

So my opinion-- if you're looking for a God of War type game, get Bayonetta.

-edit-

And why must a game be outstanding to even consider playing it?

First off, there is no God of War type of game besides God of War. That game is in it's league of it's own when it comes to everything (almost =p). However, Bayonetta's enemy-targeting system is much much better. GOW can be really frustrating at times and sometimes target different enemies than what you do. For instance, I try to target an enemy to my left, I push the left stick in that direction, and Kratos attacks an enemy to his right. This was especially annoying in the Shield Breaker challenge. I just wanted to hit the guy with the shield, but Kratos kept attacking other enemies in total opposite directions. Oh, and the dodge in GOW games are really crappy, sometimes it's fast and sometimes really slow. And since it doesn't work in the middle of all attacks/combos, you are sometime forced to do the classic 'hit, hit, dodge/block' routine which I've always hated. Bayonetta gives you an amazingly versatile and creative combo list and all mechanics melt together easily. You can dodge anytime and finish the combos you started before dodging. GOW has much to learn in this aspect. The controls, movement and 'animations' tend to feel a bit to stiff, and when playing I often get the 'there's only one way to overcome this battle' feeling. In GOW people (my friends) tend to use the same combo (Square + Square + ... + Triangle, or the O grab) over and over, because they're the ones that works. If you try experimenting a little, something might not work or be slower (i.e. the dodge when doing certain combos, not talking about L1 + button but regular combos like Square + Square + Triangle) and then you get punished for trying to be a little bit creative and experimental. This is my major complaint about GOW. It's not versatile and fluid enough in the gameplay mechanics.

The dodge only won't work if you use a very heavy attack. Once you grasp that limitation, it's a cake walk to cancel combos. Where's the challenge in being able to cancel EVERY single combo or move when you see the enemies start their attack animation? It only makes sense to me that the game punishes the player for trying to pull off a move that he/she doesn't have time to complete. Also, there are plenty of ways to experiment with combos once you get used to L1+X and L1+O as well as the dodge + Triangle moves. The only time I had problem I had with the combat is during the times I used the arrows and there were lots of targets on screen.

I know what you're talking about, I have no problems with playing the game, I am used to all the moves, there aren't really many to remember. I use L1 + X and L1 + O a lot, L1 + O is even my favourite move. But as I said, I feel this can make the fighting really repetitive/restrictive, especially on the harder difficulties. Because you will be forced to dodge/block a lot since you can't take any damage. The game is awesome, but the combat still has some minor flaws in my opinion. To me, sometimes it feels forced and stiff.

I respect your opinion and I know where you're coming from, I also know that every game will have it's flaws. I haven't played Bayonetta yet, but most action games involving melee combat can also be described as forced and stiff. Two of my favorites, DMC3 and NGblack, felt restrictive and repetitive at the end. Most hacknslash games end up that way. For example, in DMC3, if you don't know how to either dodge or parry, you won't make it past the first round on any difficulty. So the gameplay then boils down to the player doing 3-4 combos over and over (to get style points) and rolling around to avoid getting hit. Then, when you get to use virgil, you learn to jump cancel with the jumping heavy attack and do that all day long. In Ninja Gaiden, all the player does is jump up a wall and slash down, dodge, absorb some essence, do the ultimate, and repeat. I actually think it's good that GOW doesn't have an insane library of moves, this way, the player can just play the game from the getgo and worry about when to do the moves and not how.

Also, the game does a great job in making enemy types feel unique. Every combination of enemies feels different to another.

bbsin said:
twesterm said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
mOeR-rpGee said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

If you want more depth in the combat, then play the game on a harder difficulty. The difficulty above the default should take away the notion of "mindless" combat. This was the case for GOW2 and GOW3, GOW1 I don't remember since it's been so long. There will be alot for strategy involved at a higher difficulty, you'll learn to fear what certain monsters bring to the table, while never getting the sense that it's just "cheap" or "not fair."

its twesterm talking about sony game, why are you even trying?

Trust me, buy it. It is the definition of EPIC. Gameplay is fluid, puzzles are good, bosses are awesome and a whole lot of fun, weapon system still as good...and finally the story, one of the best out there and the ending really put a nice end to the trilogy.

It's at the MGS4 level of Epicness.

EDIT: Gonna beat the game on Titan mode later on after I finish Bioshock 2 and RE5 platinum. Don't wanna be done so soon with that gem.

Around the Network
bbsin said:

Call me a pussy, but I generally just don't play games on hard.  It's one of those stupid personal philosophy things but I only play games on hard if I beat it once on normal because I consider the medium difficulty the one the developers intended.

I'm playing it on their intended difficulty and it's just mindless.  As I said, don't take that as a bad thing, I'm not.

it's definitely worth playing but unless you're a die hard god of war fan i'd suggest renting it.

it is the worst in the series.

anyway, kudos to santa monica for making a game as good as god of war 3 for their FIRST game on the ps3.

remember how much uncharted 2 improved on uncharted? i expect something similar from santa monica to be honest. really, for their first ps3 game, god of war 3 is spectacular effort even if it fall shorts of the lofty expectations.

cura said:
it's definitely worth playing but unless you're a die hard god of war fan i'd suggest renting it.

anyway, kudos to santa monica for making a game as good as god of war 3 for their FIRST game on the ps3.

remember how much uncharted 2 improved on uncharted? i expect something similar from santa monica to be honest. really, for their first ps3 game, god of war 3 is spectacular effort even if it fall shorts of the lofty expectations.

The worst in the series? Gow1 had better puzzle elements and level design but the combat was behind the competition and the only thing going for Gow2 was the improved combat, but Gow3 is miles ahead in that apartment with the addition of the chain grabs, air dashing and weapon switching.

The only thing GOW3 doesn't have that the other games did, were the segments where you have to run alot.

twesterm said:
bbsin said:

Call me a pussy, but I generally just don't play games on hard.  It's one of those stupid personal philosophy things but I only play games on hard if I beat it once on normal because I consider the medium difficulty the one the developers intended.

I'm playing it on their intended difficulty and it's just mindless.  As I said, don't take that as a bad thing, I'm not.

Oh really? I always start playing on hard, I never pick anything else. Actually, if I could, I would probably start GOW on Chaos. Doing my Chaos run now, just killed Hermes. Anyone here finished it on Chaos?

bbsin said:
cura said:

The worst in the series? Gow1 had better puzzle elements and level design but the combat was behind the competition and the only thing going for Gow2 was the improved combat, but Gow3 is miles ahead in that apartment with the addition of the chain grabs, air dashing and weapon switching.

The only thing GOW3 doesn't have that the other games did, were the segments where you have to run alot.

the combat was behind the competition? i have to disagree there. the combat has always been the most enjoyable aspects of any god of war game. also, i don't think the ps2 was capable of having the grapple move otherwise they probably would have implemented it. Also, all of the changes to combat don't drastically change the combat, if anything they refine the combat but that's about it.

god of war 3 was a seriously let down in terms of the story, and this is a criticism that was highlighted in the US ign review. Also, it's 8 hours long (give or take). Really, I'd rather wait another 6 months for them to add more content, get the pacing right, fix the story, and fine tune the puzzles.

As I said before, this was SM's first game, and so these quibbles are to be expected somewhat, however, it did mean that for me, it was the worst in the series. You obviously disagree and that's fine. There's really no right or wrong answer here.