By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is God of War III that great?

Profcrab said:
mOeR-rpGee said:
Profcrab said:
IllegalPaladin said:
Profcrab said:
The quicktime events were a big turn-off to me and are why I never finished the first game. Were they a big part of 2 also and are they still a part of 3? The GoW games always looked great, but I really hate that game mechanic with a fiery hot passion.

I give this thread a 9.4.

It's a staple of the series.

So no

Thanks.  That's a shame.  Visually they look great and the regular action moves were fun in the first game, I just can't over the QTE they used during the boss fights and bigger enemies.  .  I alwayed hoped that they would move away from them.

I give that post a 9.7.

the QTE's are only used to finish off bosses and things like centuar generals... because they have a very cool death animation... you have to do the boss ones.. but for other ones you can just beat them to death...

i play on the hardest available difficulty so the QTE's were sent from heaven... trust me... when you are fighting 2 minotaurs and a wave of grunts... you welcome those QTE's on the minotaurs because it means 1) this baddy is going down 2) a break from dogging and trying to survive 3) some health orbs from the qte

and they have done a really cool job with the QTE's.. they will appear on the screen where the button is located... like x in the middle bottom part... square a the left side middle etc... so you don't have to break away from watching the action...

all in all... playing on hard.. QTE's are my 6th best friend.. after the blades, cestus, whip, doge and grapple.

I understand that some people like them, but I hate em.  They take control of the character out of my hands and make me play Simon Says to finish a boss or enemy.  Since I just spent several minutes using the skill that I built up by playing the game to that point, I feel that QTEs cheat me out of the victory I just earned by making the climax a minigame.  I don't play action games to play minigames, especially not in the thick of combat.  I think they are a developers crutch because they don't want to spend the time to integrate certain aspects of the fight with the moves that you have already learned in the game or they feel that you are somehow more immersed if you have to match a flashing button on the screen.  Some may, I don't.  I feel separated from the game and if I miss the QTE and I have to fight the boss again to that point, I want to throw the controller.

I give that post a 9.6.

the QTE is the reward.

after fighting hades for an hour and 30 deaths or so... in 4 different acts... i want to watch kratos rip his skull apart as his brain falls out and i want to tap the circle to rip his skin off... i want to mash on the L1 and R1 buttons as i use his own weapons to rip away his soul... it all feels good...

they aren't like "2 min fight... here is a QTE"... they are more like here is a boss that will make you cruse him... now here is kratos serving justice.

they have stated that there is a reason they made kratos the way he is... they didn't want the player to change him or have options to save or kill people... you are just along for the ride... do you best not to let him down i suppose.

this isn't like heavy rain.

Around the Network

I like the game. It is more challenging than 1 or 2. But there is something that is bothering me about it though.

I really dislike how they did the intentional frame rate drops. During some game play scenes it makes the game look like it lags and it is just annoying.

9/10 so far. Could go higher or lower depending on how the game plays out.

mOeR-rpGee said:
Profcrab said:
mOeR-rpGee said:
Profcrab said:
IllegalPaladin said:
Profcrab said:
The quicktime events were a big turn-off to me and are why I never finished the first game. Were they a big part of 2 also and are they still a part of 3? The GoW games always looked great, but I really hate that game mechanic with a fiery hot passion.

I give this thread a 9.4.

It's a staple of the series.

So no

Thanks.  That's a shame.  Visually they look great and the regular action moves were fun in the first game, I just can't over the QTE they used during the boss fights and bigger enemies.  .  I alwayed hoped that they would move away from them.

I give that post a 9.7.

the QTE's are only used to finish off bosses and things like centuar generals... because they have a very cool death animation... you have to do the boss ones.. but for other ones you can just beat them to death...

i play on the hardest available difficulty so the QTE's were sent from heaven... trust me... when you are fighting 2 minotaurs and a wave of grunts... you welcome those QTE's on the minotaurs because it means 1) this baddy is going down 2) a break from dogging and trying to survive 3) some health orbs from the qte

and they have done a really cool job with the QTE's.. they will appear on the screen where the button is located... like x in the middle bottom part... square a the left side middle etc... so you don't have to break away from watching the action...

all in all... playing on hard.. QTE's are my 6th best friend.. after the blades, cestus, whip, doge and grapple.

I understand that some people like them, but I hate em.  They take control of the character out of my hands and make me play Simon Says to finish a boss or enemy.  Since I just spent several minutes using the skill that I built up by playing the game to that point, I feel that QTEs cheat me out of the victory I just earned by making the climax a minigame.  I don't play action games to play minigames, especially not in the thick of combat.  I think they are a developers crutch because they don't want to spend the time to integrate certain aspects of the fight with the moves that you have already learned in the game or they feel that you are somehow more immersed if you have to match a flashing button on the screen.  Some may, I don't.  I feel separated from the game and if I miss the QTE and I have to fight the boss again to that point, I want to throw the controller.

I give that post a 9.6.

the QTE is the reward.

after fighting hades for an hour and 30 deaths or so... in 4 different acts... i want to watch kratos rip his skull apart as his brain falls out and i want to tap the circle to rip his skin off... i want to mash on the L1 and R1 buttons as i use his own weapons to rip away his soul... it all feels good...

they aren't like "2 min fight... here is a QTE"... they are more like here is a boss that will make you cruse him... now here is kratos serving justice.

they have stated that there is a reason they made kratos the way he is... they didn't want the player to change him or have options to save or kill people... you are just along for the ride... do you best not to let him down i suppose.

this isn't like heavy rain.

I am fine with not giving the player options on how the finishing moves look, but I do not see QTE's as a reward.  The animation is the reward.  QTE's are minigames.  I don't feel immersed by hitting a button that flashes on the screen.  I feel no connection to that.  Maybe it works for you.  I don't think it's like Heavy Rain either.  Heavy Rain is a storybook with QTE's being how you advance and choose the story direction.  In God of War, I would rather there be a button combination in the normal controls that I can use to execute finishing moves.  That makes me feel more like I am making Kratos do the bloody deed.  As I said, obviously some people like QTE's.  I don't and I have my opinions about them.

I give that post a 9.7.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

bbsin said:
akuseru said:
twesterm said:

Just so you have a different opinion since everyone else will say buy it, I would say buy Bayonetta.

I'm playing God of War right now and it's a good game but I've been thinking the entire time I'd rather be playing Bayonetta.

Granted this is only God of War I'm playing but from everything I've heard God of War 3 is God of War 2 is God of War and I'm expecting to think the same at least all the way through God of War 2.

So my opinion-- if you're looking for a God of War type game, get Bayonetta.

-edit-

And why must a game be outstanding to even consider playing it?

First off, there is no God of War type of game besides God of War. That game is in it's league of it's own when it comes to everything (almost =p). However, Bayonetta's enemy-targeting system is much much better. GOW can be really frustrating at times and sometimes target different enemies than what you do. For instance, I try to target an enemy to my left, I push the left stick in that direction, and Kratos attacks an enemy to his right. This was especially annoying in the Shield Breaker challenge. I just wanted to hit the guy with the shield, but Kratos kept attacking other enemies in total opposite directions. Oh, and the dodge in GOW games are really crappy, sometimes it's fast and sometimes really slow. And since it doesn't work in the middle of all attacks/combos, you are sometime forced to do the classic 'hit, hit, dodge/block' routine which I've always hated. Bayonetta gives you an amazingly versatile and creative combo list and all mechanics melt together easily. You can dodge anytime and finish the combos you started before dodging. GOW has much to learn in this aspect. The controls, movement and 'animations' tend to feel a bit to stiff, and when playing I often get the 'there's only one way to overcome this battle' feeling. In GOW people (my friends) tend to use the same combo (Square + Square + ... + Triangle, or the O grab) over and over, because they're the ones that works. If you try experimenting a little, something might not work or be slower (i.e. the dodge when doing certain combos, not talking about L1 + button but regular combos like Square + Square + Triangle) and then you get punished for trying to be a little bit creative and experimental. This is my major complaint about GOW. It's not versatile and fluid enough in the gameplay mechanics.

The dodge only won't work if you use a very heavy attack. Once you grasp that limitation, it's a cake walk to cancel combos. Where's the challenge in being able to cancel EVERY single combo or move when you see the enemies start their attack animation? It only makes sense to me that the game punishes the player for trying to pull off a move that he/she doesn't have time to complete. Also, there are plenty of ways to experiment with combos once you get used to L1+X and L1+O as well as the dodge + Triangle moves. The only time I had problem I had with the combat is during the times I used the arrows and there were lots of targets on screen.

I know what you're talking about, I have no problems with playing the game, I am used to all the moves, there aren't really many to remember. I use L1 + X and L1 + O a lot, L1 + O is even my favourite move. But as I said, I feel this can make the fighting really repetitive/restrictive, especially on the harder difficulties. Because you will be forced to dodge/block a lot since you can't take any damage. The game is awesome, but the combat still has some minor flaws in my opinion. To me, sometimes it feels forced and stiff.

I'm playing on Titan. If you do not block or dodge moves you are so done.

I had to block almost every move from the 2nd boss in the game to survive the fight.

Around the Network

Yes it is, no other game has as many jaw dropping epic moments. Dont listen to a few vocal minority haters.

I just completed the game......started yesterday and played for 3 hours....then came home this evening...sit down and non stopped since 7pm....now is 01:30am....this is first game and only game that i couldn't put it down.....amazing and the scale of the battle scene was epic.......must play!!

Yeah the game's pacing is so good that i can't even stop playing until i finished
the game.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Some of the boss fights are really fun. and the way they end is pretty intense. I think so far that it is better than GoW1, but not as good as GoW2.

Trophies are a joke though IMO. I'm on Titan mode too. :/