By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will this be the X360's Peak Year?

Will this be the X360's Peak Year?

Yes 57 43.85%

No 73 56.15%

Total:130

This isn't a clone of the Wii thread, going by previous years figures, I believe this could be the 360's peak year.

Year Jan 3rd - March 3rd (roughly) Total Year

2007 0,973 7,733

2008 1,078 10,441

2009 1,638 9,921

2010 1,504  

The latter part of 2008 saw the massive marketing blitz on the Xbox 360 pricecut and avatars update, which clearly helped to achieve it's highest ever sales.

Even though 2009 was (a mere) 500k below what 2008 did it had strong sales in the first 3 quaters compared to 2008,2007 and 2006.

So Xmas 2009 is over, and not a lot happened for the 360 sales wise, it was down YOY throughout the entire holiday, but Q1 2010 so far is painting a different picture (slightly), although it's down from 2009's strong Q1, it's not down by much, and it's come out of a pretty average holiday season, there was no reason to believe it wouldn't fall back to just a little bit more than 2008's Q1 sales.

If the Xbox 360 can keep this up for the next 2 Q's, then sales will be something like this 4mill 2010 vs 4.5 mill 2009.

Then comes christmas, now this all depends on what microsoft have planned, and if it's going to be bigger than the price cuts and NXE of 2009. Natal, rumoured redeisgn, possible price cut, and the amount of articles titled "biggest year for X360 EVER" we've seen seem to suggest so?

So with a strong Q1/Q2/Q3 similar to 2009's, and a very strong Q4 similar to 2008's, the 360 can go way above it's 10.4 mill high score it set in 2008.

So, is this the 360's peak year?

Around the Network

Game wise yes. Hardware wise its too early to tell. Natal/possible slim will need to have a big effect in order for this to be the case.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Well it could very well be, although you could be wrong and the Xbox 360's peak year could be next year if Natal really takes off...

I think we might end up with a double peak! Though the funny thing is the question of why its selling so well now? Is it anticipation for Natal or what?

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

I was going to come in here and curse you for a fanboy, but then I read your post. It's possible almost leaning towards probable. Interesting!

Anything is possible. The economic conditions could make it more difficult, but if it's in the blueprint there's a big possibility.

It all depends on whether or not everything works as it should.

Around the Network

probably

It depends on Natal.

If Natal is a big hit, expect it to be the 360's best year. If not, then i expect the 360 to be about the same as last year. 9-10 Million.

i think 08 was its peak year. but then again this year MIGHT outsell it by a few 100k..

It could. Depends entirely on how they handle slim/Natal/bundles/pricecuts in the fall. Al the pieces are in place though, and they've got a stellar 1st half lined up (ODST/Forza 3 bundle, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, BBC2, FFXIII/bundle, SC Conviction, Alan Wake, Monster Hunter, Lost Planet 2, etc)

This will certainly be the biggest year ever for the Xbox 360. Everything is settled for the Box to succeed: Natal, Slim, price cut, exclusive games... PS3 won't be too far though.