By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 will never catch the the 360 now. Wii won a long time ago.

the last guardian
final fantasy versus
final fantasy online
dc universe onine
agent
the agency
3d dot game heroes
socom 4
starhawk/warhawk2

ya plus move controls which are way better then natal for real gaming try again dude the ignorance makes me want to sell my 360 today

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Generic games?

I stopped reading from there.

Stealth trolling FTW!

I object to the OPs thread. Sales trends indicate the contrary. The PS3 is closing down on the 360 in sales. VGC will make more adjustments which could see the gap reduced by half a million. The rate at which the PS3 is outselling the 360 combined with boosts from Gran turismo 5 and the Xmas sales periods. PS3 should over take the 360 during the second half of 2011.

I will launch my own PS3 will destroy the 360 in console sales.

Kilzoned82 said:

I object to the OPs thread. Sales trends indicate the contrary.

Sales trends indicate a cyclical nature between PS3 and 360 momentum.  Considering Microsoft's all-star lineup the next 12 months (Halo , Monster Hunter, Gears of War, Fable, Call of Duty, Madden, etc), more favorable public opinion of Natal, and an all but confirmed slim redesign (with the likely price cuts that will bring), I'd say chances are good history's about to repeat itself. ;)

Hammertime said:

GOW3 is generic has it is basically GOW2 with better graphics. GT5 is GT4 with better graphics but it may hopefully bring something new to the table, but I doubt it - nothing new and they appeal to the exact same crowd as the last generation.

Games like NSMB, Wii Sports Resort, Nintendogs, Wii Fit are NOT generic....they are new styles that appeal to new gamers hence the reason all the Nintendo games I mentioned will sell well over 20 million, possibly 30 million.....wheras GOW3 will be about 4 million as it has no appeal to new gamers.

Same goes for Halo Reach...you will run around shooting things with good graphics...basically Halo 3 with better graphics. The only people interested in Halo Reach are the exact same ones who bout Halo 3....your generic gamer who never changes.

If you can get sales of 30 million, then you know you are no longer generic.

Dude, you are so far off base it isn't even funny. 

Definition of the word Generic: 1. applying to any member of a group or class, 2. usable or suitable in a variety of contexts

Really it all comes down to the definition... generic is a term which applies to something that typically nonremarkable and would have more of a broad appeal rather than a niche appeal.  Games like WiiSports Resorts ARE generic and for a purpose at that! Games like God of War or Halo are the definition of what their game-styles are and are typically only suitable within the genre from which they belong to (tho it's possible to call Halo Wars a generic RTS as it was mostly the same as others and did not define its genre). 

The general rule of thumb here is to only call something generic if it has either no name brand recognition and it is attempting to capitalize on someone else's pre-existing market, or if it is purposefully built to be painted with a massively broad brush (such as Wii Sports, nothing in that game hasn't been seen before and it doesn't define those genres styles - it really IS a generic sports game).

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
@hammertime.

wii has won from business standpoint, but it has by far the lowest quality games. so as a gaming device its dead last

Video games are a business. It is the consumers who decide what games are good, not critics are fans on the internet. Consumers vote with their dollar, and Wii games are on the top of their list.

CGI-Quality said:
jarrod said:
Kilzoned82 said:

I object to the OPs thread. Sales trends indicate the contrary.

Sales trends indicate a cyclical nature between PS3 and 360 momentum.  Considering Microsoft's all-star lineup the next 12 months (Halo , Monster Hunter, Gears of War, Fable, Call of Duty, Madden, etc), more favorable public opinion of Natal, and an all but confirmed slim redesign (with the likely price cuts that will bring), I'd say chances are good history's about to repeat itself. ;)

I agree that sales trends indicate a cynical nature between them, but the highlughted would mainly be true if we completely ignore what Sony has/may have. Also, Gears of War hasn't been confirmed. Like the Slim 360 & Killzone 3, it's just rumor.

Looking at motion devices, Natal didn't receive the best public treatment out of the gate either, as didn't the Wii prior to it's release. As for line-ups in the next twelve months, Sony can claim a hefty one as well: (GT5, Madden, Call of Duty, Socom 4, Versus XIII, FFXIV, etc).

We'll have a better idea of who will claim what though after E3, because we'll know if there are any other Hoilday titles planned from either. Everything right now, besides the obvious: (Natal, Move, Halo, Socom, GT5, Fable, possible 360 price-cut) is speculation.

I disagree, I'd say even factoring PS3's strengths (slimomentum, GT5, etc) it's still more likely (should all the mentioned occur) that 360 is the favorite.  Sony had a great lineup for summer/fall 2008, with arguably even better exclusives (MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, Valkyria, SOCOM, etc), and were coming off a big pricedrop that had put them ahead in the first half, and Micrsoft still came roaring back with their core lineup and a delayed response pricedrop.  It's pretty easy to see where 2010's headed going off past precedent, and that's not ignoring anything.

Also, R&D cycles sort of support the rumor of Gears 3 in spring 2011, as do the vague comments from Rein, Cliffy and other Epic people, and the slim revision is basically confirmed via Chinese manufacturer leaks (complete with motherboard photos).  I'd say the Killzone 3 rumor is likely too actually, but it really does have less to "support" it than these 360 rumors, and it'd imply a pretty quick cycle out of Guerilla (who's not exactly known for their timeliness).

And no, Natal's not been overwhelmingly received, and there's lots of questions and behind the scenes skepticism.  But even at this early stage with no formal games announced, it's still had a far more positive response than Move.  The hype's on Microsoft's side, it has been since last E3 even, and it's really "their game to lose" among the HD motion interfaces.

The wii isn't part of the same generation, never was. If we're playing that game lets just put the PS2 into the same category and everyone here will get smoked.

Microsoft knows thery are starting to lose to the PS3 after just three years so BADLY that they are already working on ANOTHER XBox, not just the slim. After spending more money overall on an inferior machine that RRoD for the first year and is being deprecated 3 years later, I'm sure the MS fans will happily buy the next one. The PS3 is probably good for 10 years.

DrDread said:

The wii isn't part of the same generation, never was. If we're playing that game lets just put the PS2 into the same category and everyone here will get smoked.

Generations aren't determined by technology, they're determined by release date.  And Wii's going to outsell PS2 in the end anyway. <3

DrDread said:

Microsoft knows thery are starting to lose to the PS3 after just three years so BADLY that they are already working on ANOTHER XBox, not just the slim. After spending more money overall on an inferior machine that RRoD for the first year and is being deprecated 3 years later, I'm sure the MS fans will happily buy the next one. The PS3 is probably good for 10 years.

VGChartz disagrees.