By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie talks about 3d parties, Nintendo not good at creating certain games

BoneArk said:
They can make any game they want, they just have to buy some game designers and spend more money on games.

Don't let these topics shake your stance- Nintendo is just fine. All the games people could ever want that are not shooters are already on the Wii console. Almost every genre is covered.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
BoneArk said:
They can make any game they want, they just have to buy some game designers and spend more money on games.

Don't let these topics shake your stance- Nintendo is just fine. All the games people could ever want that are not shooters are already on the Wii console. Almost every genre is covered.

Where's my WRPG and RTS?

Scoobes said:
SaviorX said:
BoneArk said:

Where's my WRPG and RTS?

I wish there were more, but there's Pikmin NPC and Overlord at least. Don't know about wRPG's though.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Scoobes said:
SaviorX said:
BoneArk said:

Where's my WRPG and RTS?

WRPG? Only one I know is Enclave, but that has yet to come out. Bioware makes the majority of those, and they haven't done anything Wii oriented (could just port Jade Empire but meh...).

RTS- Dawn of Discovery, maybe Pikmin NPC, maybe Overworld: Dark Legend and hello, Little Kings Story.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

^Thanks for the recommendations guys :)

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
^Thanks for the recommendations guys :)

Well I've only played LKS and that sucked, so don't take mine as recommendations.

Dawn of Discovery is probably good though, judging by the DS predecessor and reviews.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

As long as they release Kick ass zelda, mario and metroid games, i dunt care for bioshock

Scoobes said:
Sempuukyaku said:
I don't want Nintendo selling out, sorry. I'm VERY happy with what Nintendo creates. That's what makes Nintendo....Nintendo. They don't need to be making Bioshock/Modern Warfare/Mass Effect types of stuff. That's not who they are. No one is demanding that Bethesda make a kid's platformer, are they?

Thought so.

No, but Bethesda aren't a platform holder. If you own the platform you have some responsibility to supply customers with games. They do that very well with they're core Nintendo franchises and with the new demographics they've helped create. However, for the other traditional games they haven't and Reggie admits this in his statement. As the platform holder and console manufacturer if they're is a gap in your software library that could be profitable and is in demand then you should be trying to fill that demand either through 3rd party negotiation or 1st/2nd party. Nintendo doesn't seem to have succeeded in either.

With the amount of money they're making and considering how small they are, they could easily splash out and publish a title from a small dev making a core non-Nintendo title. With Nintendo overseeing the title it'd probably be of pretty good quality.

No, Nintendo are responsible for creating content THAT THEIR CONSUMERS want. Based on how awesome Nintendo first-party games sell, they are making the content that consumers want. For any other content, that's the job of third parties to fill in those gaps. Again, are we demanding Microsoft make 2d cartoon-style platforms?

My problem is that the industry continues to hold Nintendo to standards that they refuse to hold others to. That's simply not cool. Nintendo is going to make games that they're the best at. Same with Sony and Microsoft.

Sempuukyaku said:
Scoobes said:
Sempuukyaku said:
I don't want Nintendo selling out, sorry. I'm VERY happy with what Nintendo creates. That's what makes Nintendo....Nintendo. They don't need to be making Bioshock/Modern Warfare/Mass Effect types of stuff. That's not who they are. No one is demanding that Bethesda make a kid's platformer, are they?

Thought so.

No, but Bethesda aren't a platform holder. If you own the platform you have some responsibility to supply customers with games. They do that very well with they're core Nintendo franchises and with the new demographics they've helped create. However, for the other traditional games they haven't and Reggie admits this in his statement. As the platform holder and console manufacturer if they're is a gap in your software library that could be profitable and is in demand then you should be trying to fill that demand either through 3rd party negotiation or 1st/2nd party. Nintendo doesn't seem to have succeeded in either.

With the amount of money they're making and considering how small they are, they could easily splash out and publish a title from a small dev making a core non-Nintendo title. With Nintendo overseeing the title it'd probably be of pretty good quality.

No, Nintendo are responsible for creating content THAT THEIR CONSUMERS want. Based on how awesome Nintendo first-party games sell, they are making the content that consumers want. For any other content, that's the job of third parties to fill in those gaps. Again, are we demanding Microsoft make 2d cartoon-style platforms?

My problem is that the industry continues to hold Nintendo to standards that they refuse to hold others to. That's simply not cool. Nintendo is going to make games that they're the best at. Same with Sony and Microsoft.

To the caps, yes. Their consumers want the games they are making, that's why they sell so well. They don't just make games that they're best at, they make games where there is a demand, and if they're isn't a demand, they look and see if they can create it. That's why they're on top this gen.

But there is also a perception that there is a gap in the Wii market for core games. I read people wanting this core game or that core game which don't have quite as much coverage on the Wii. IF there is a demand for games of that type then Nintendo should be doing something about it. As platform holders I think they have a responsibility to do what they can to satiate that software demand. That doesn't mean they have to create it themselves, but it does mean they have to sell the concept of the Wii as a core game console to 3rd parties.

If MS found that there was a demand for 2D cartoony platformers on the 360, then you can bet they'd try to release a game to satiate that demand (1st, 2nd, 3rd party, it doesn't really matter). Same with Sony.

The current 3rd-party perception is that there is little demand for core titles on Wii. If Nintendo truly wanted these titles on Wii then I would have thought that perception would have been shattered by now.

I think what he really means is that Nintendo likes to make games targeted at the whole family.  They aren't good at creating "mature" themed games because they don't want to