By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie talks about 3d parties, Nintendo not good at creating certain games

I don't want Nintendo selling out, sorry. I'm VERY happy with what Nintendo creates. That's what makes Nintendo....Nintendo. They don't need to be making Bioshock/Modern Warfare/Mass Effect types of stuff. That's not who they are. No one is demanding that Bethesda make a kid's platformer, are they?

Thought so.

Around the Network
alfredofroylan said:

I agree with Dante's Inferno. The cost for the publicity and the game probably won't be covered by the sales, but C'mon Nintendo can make things like Bioshock ... if they try.

sure, Nintendo could make "bioshock" if they tried, but it wouldn't be the same. Nintendo has a style. Think of it like music. You take a rock musicision and they write great rock music. If you ask them to write Jaz music they'll probably do decent, but it won't be as great. Nintendo makes games they are good at and leaves the other genres for those who are good at those kinds of games.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Finally someone in Nintendo is actually speaking out about this and essentially, calling out third parties for ignoring their system after four years, even at a loss of profits. Nintendo has been needing to actually say this for a long time. If Nintendo has ANY weakness currently, its the fact that they have little third party support. And while they technically don't need them right now, they may in the future.

Its a symbiotic relationship. And one that currently is hurting other companies a LOT more than Nintendo. But come next generation, and the next major Nintendo console, it could hurt Nintendo as well.  As the lack of third parties is what was their major downfall on both the N64 and the GameCube.

What do you mean?  Reggie has been calling developers out forever.  All the time he says stuff like "I'm disapointed grand theft auto isn't here... I mean look at the install base"

etc, etc, etc.

"calling people out" for not making game for you is NOT the greatest way to build a sustainable, mutually relying partnership. I don't know when the Nintendo higher-ups will get this... and until them, great third party games will NOT come to Wii.

Did I say it was?  I'm just saying he's been bitching about it for a while to the public.

I think you've got it backwords though.  Reggie's bitching isn't keeping the games away.  Reggie is bitching because the games are staying away... and will no matter what he or Nintendo does about it...

Well unless they want to start throwing around money.  The "calling out" is really just a way to show the fans that Nintendo had been trying to get hardcore games for the system, but nothing really short of offering stuff could accomplish that... and nintendo doesn't like to offer people money and free advertismenets unless they're 100% sure it's a sure thing, because Nintendo is ridiculious conservative.

I'm wondering something. In todays world most of the games use some kind of engine (Unreal, CryEngine, etc.) I know Metroid prime uses its own engine .... so Why Nintendo never re-uses their own engine in other games.

Kasz216 said:
kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Finally someone in Nintendo is actually speaking out about this and essentially, calling out third parties for ignoring their system after four years, even at a loss of profits. Nintendo has been needing to actually say this for a long time. If Nintendo has ANY weakness currently, its the fact that they have little third party support. And while they technically don't need them right now, they may in the future.

Its a symbiotic relationship. And one that currently is hurting other companies a LOT more than Nintendo. But come next generation, and the next major Nintendo console, it could hurt Nintendo as well.  As the lack of third parties is what was their major downfall on both the N64 and the GameCube.

What do you mean?  Reggie has been calling developers out forever.  All the time he says stuff like "I'm disapointed grand theft auto isn't here... I mean look at the install base"

etc, etc, etc.

"calling people out" for not making game for you is NOT the greatest way to build a sustainable, mutually relying partnership. I don't know when the Nintendo higher-ups will get this... and until them, great third party games will NOT come to Wii.

Did I say it was?  I'm just saying he's been bitching about it for a while to the public.

I think you've got it backwords though.  Reggie's bitching isn't keeping the games away.  Reggie is bitching because the games are staying away... and will no matter what he or Nintendo does about it...

Well unless they want to start throwing around money.  The "calling out" is really just a way to show the fans that Nintendo had been trying to get hardcore games for the system, but nothing really short of offering stuff could accomplish that... and nintendo doesn't like to offer people money and free advertismenets unless they're 100% sure it's a sure thing, because Nintendo is ridiculious conservative.

my comment wasn't targeting at you at all.

All I'm saying, it's a circle. Nintendo need to start sucking up to third party (I'm not saying they should go as far as "paying" for third party games like other consoles *cough), but being nice would be a good start

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network
kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

etc, etc, etc.

my comment wasn't targeting at you at all.

All I'm saying, it's a circle. Nintendo need to start sucking up to third party (I'm not saying they should go as far as "paying" for third party games like other consoles *cough), but being nice would be a good start

I think they'd already tried the being nice part and eventually just gave up.

I mean, if being nice back when the PS3 was dieing didn't help, why would it help now that the PS3 is way healthier and the 360 is doing as well as always? 

I'm wondering if most of the games that they release on PS3 and Xbox (Dante's Inferno, Bioshock 2, Bioshock PS3, Little Big Planet) is a great return to investment. With a bigger userbase, you should be able to make more sales because the demographic targeted is bigger, but what 3rd parties failed at is to

1) Create an AAA game
2) Market this game a lot

You can see how Monster Hunter 3 is handled by Nintendo... And the preorders are quite excellent now.

RolStoppable said:
Nintendo is nice to third parties. That's why the DS is said to have one of the best libraries of all time.

This.

Third party games actually do sell on the DS (much less than Nintendo games, but Nintendo games are always selling like crazy)

Kingdom Hearts is near of 2 million.

Kasz216 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

etc, etc, etc.

I suppose he has.  But unlike past comments, this time he actually put 2 and 2 together and tied the lack of a 'core game' with the fact of third parties seemingly ignoring the Wii.  In the past, the comments I have seen have just been small comments of his saying stuff like 'its too bad X game isn't on Wii because I think it would do well.'  These statements seem to go much more beyond that, actually focusing on the fact thatthird parties are actively ignoring the Wii even at the point of ignoring large amounts of potential profits or even when their companies are LOSING profits.

As for Nintendo 'sucking up' to third parties, they tried that on the GameCube.  That was pretty much all Nintendo focused on with the GameCube.  They even outsourced half their own properties to third parties (Star Fox, F-Zero, Zelda, Mario, etc) and spent the majority of their in house resources trying to make 'back door' deals to get exclusives.  In the end, most of those third party deals either fell through or turned into PS2 ports later on (Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, Phantasy Star I&II + III, etc).  So...I think you can see why Nintendo doesn't care much about going down that road anymore.  Because they're still pulling the daggers out of their back.  And not just the ones with the GameCube, but the new ones third parties are sticking in there with the Wii....

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Kasz216 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

etc, etc, etc.

I suppose he has.  But unlike past comments, this time he actually put 2 and 2 together and tied the lack of a 'core game' with the fact of third parties seemingly ignoring the Wii.  In the past, the comments I have seen have just been small comments of his saying stuff like 'its too bad X game isn't on Wii because I think it would do well.'  These statements seem to go much more beyond that, actually focusing on the fact thatthird parties are actively ignoring the Wii even at the point of ignoring large amounts of potential profits or even when their companies are LOSING profits.

As for Nintendo 'sucking up' to third parties, they tried that on the GameCube.  That was pretty much all Nintendo focused on with the GameCube.  They even outsourced half their own properties to third parties (Star Fox, F-Zero, Zelda, Mario, etc) and spent the majority of their in house resources trying to make 'back door' deals to get exclusives.  In the end, most of those third party deals either fell through or turned into PS2 ports later on (Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, Phantasy Star I&II + III, etc).  So...I think you can see why Nintendo doesn't care much about going down that road anymore.  Because they're still pulling the daggers out of their back.  And not just the ones with the GameCube, but the new ones third parties are sticking in there with the Wii....