By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie talks about 3d parties, Nintendo not good at creating certain games

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Kasz216 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Finally someone in Nintendo is actually speaking out about this and essentially, calling out third parties for ignoring their system after four years, even at a loss of profits. Nintendo has been needing to actually say this for a long time. If Nintendo has ANY weakness currently, its the fact that they have little third party support. And while they technically don't need them right now, they may in the future.

Its a symbiotic relationship. And one that currently is hurting other companies a LOT more than Nintendo. But come next generation, and the next major Nintendo console, it could hurt Nintendo as well.  As the lack of third parties is what was their major downfall on both the N64 and the GameCube.

What do you mean?  Reggie has been calling developers out forever.  All the time he says stuff like "I'm disapointed grand theft auto isn't here... I mean look at the install base"

etc, etc, etc.

I suppose he has.  But unlike past comments, this time he actually put 2 and 2 together and tied the lack of a 'core game' with the fact of third parties seemingly ignoring the Wii.  In the past, the comments I have seen have just been small comments of his saying stuff like 'its too bad X game isn't on Wii because I think it would do well.'  These statements seem to go much more beyond that, actually focusing on the fact thatthird parties are actively ignoring the Wii even at the point of ignoring large amounts of potential profits or even when their companies are LOSING profits.

As for Nintendo 'sucking up' to third parties, they tried that on the GameCube.  That was pretty much all Nintendo focused on with the GameCube.  They even outsourced half their own properties to third parties (Star Fox, F-Zero, Zelda, Mario, etc) and spent the majority of their in house resources trying to make 'back door' deals to get exclusives.  In the end, most of those third party deals either fell through or turned into PS2 ports later on (Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, Phantasy Star I&II + III, etc).  So...I think you can see why Nintendo doesn't care much about going down that road anymore.  Because they're still pulling the daggers out of their back.  And not just the ones with the GameCube, but the new ones third parties are sticking in there with the Wii....

I agree with that... and is kinda my point.  They can't win no matter what they do.  Well... as much as a system that's making profits hand over fist and selling faster then any console ever can be considered not being able to win.

Around the Network

Nintendo did (and did well) practically every genre in videogame history. Even horror, with Eternal Darkness.

Uhhh...Eternal Darkness was made by Silicon Knights. Nintendo just published it.

I do want to point out that even with all the failures and 'exclusives' that were later ported, Nintendo has still made a ton of deals with third party companies this gen. I mean we have Professor Layton, The Legendary Starfy, Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory, Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, Soma Bringer, Magical Starsign, ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, Children of Mana, Meteos, Fatal Frame IV, Mario & Sonic at the Summer/Winter Olympic Games, Another Code/Another Code R, Endless Ocean, Sin and Punishment 2, Zangeki no Reginleiv and a host of Nintendo published titles in Japan and the west....I dare say there might even be more third party games on the Wii and DS produced or published by Nintendo money than during the GameCube/GBA years. In fact, I'm 100% sure of it.

Oh, and don't forget the little titles Dragon Quest IX and X.  And Monster Hunter Tri.

But as for Nintendo going out to pay to make third parties work on the Wii, they most likely won't. Mostly because they don't need to. They're on the top and they can coast by right now even without any third parties. But as I just showed, they're quite actively seeing out third parties. And the ones that are answering the call are raking the in dough.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Remember the days when Nintendo wanted to cast off it's kiddie image by porting PC games like Starcraft and Command and Conquer?

Lot of good that did Nintendo.

burning_phoneix said:
Nintendo did (and did well) practically every genre in videogame history. Even horror, with Eternal Darkness.

Uhhh...Eternal Darkness was made by Silicon Knights. Nintendo just published it.

Mostly, but not 100% true.

For example, the Sanity meter was a Nintendo concept, hence why they own the patent for it.

Around the Network

Eternal Darkness remains one of the best games on the GC. The wii needs more Horror and Psychological thrillers. (not the RE survival horror type)

Nintendo needs new IP's. Mario and zelda are getting old. they feel like the same game over and over again. plus they're being casualized.
I was looking forward to Sadness and Winter. Sadness is vaporware and Winter didn't find a publisher.

The developers of Winter couldn't find a publisher. because publishers said they haven't got a clue about the Wii demographic. Publishers think mature games won't sell on the Wii.

it's quite simple though...
hardcore gamers: want more mature games like PS360. turned away from nintendo due to lack of said games. Nintendo's hardcore IP's are casualized
casual gamers: Wii's core audience won't buy many games. they don't care about sequels of new IP's (e.g. Guitar Hero). they can't distinguish great games from mediocre. they look at boxart. they buy Super Mario because it's well known, yet have no knowledge of the series history.

I disagree with some thing; Dante Inferno being a mediocre game wouldn't be made into an amazing game if it was on the Wii. A not that amazing game is just that; good to bad. Don't know what happened with Bioshock, but again it wouldn't have sold more if it was on the Wii.

"Dante Inferno being a mediocre game wouldn't be made into an amazing game if it was on the Wii."

He was discussing profits. Read the comment again.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Kasz216 said:
burning_phoneix said:

For example, the Sanity meter was a Nintendo concept, hence why they own the patent for it.

Nintendo also owned a good chunk of SK at the time.  Hell, Dyack used to say SK *was* Nintendo.

jarrod said:
Kasz216 said:
burning_phoneix said:

Nintendo also owned a good chunk of SK at the time.  Hell, Dyack used to say SK *was* Nintendo.

Ahhh... so that explains a lot of the development being considered "nintendo" in articles i read about it.  I thought it was just shoddy website reporting.