By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie talks about 3d parties, Nintendo not good at creating certain games

Carl2291 said:
I don't know how old this is... But firstly i would like to point this out -

"global installed base is over 67 million for Wii and there are 120 million in the DS family"

Wii checks out with VGC numbers of ~68M

DS though... VGC has it at 127M

Overtracked or not?

As for the 3rd party stuff. The best way to encourage them = $$

And did Nintendo just say they were incapable of making games like BioShock 2? I call bullshit on that one. Metroid Prime has proven they know how to handle first-person stuff.

I think he's refering the 67 million from Shipped numbers as of Dec 2009 and DS numbers too but it's quicker to say 120 million than 125 million, as of now though Wii numbers are probably over 70 million shipped and DS 129.5 million shipped.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network

As far as I know, Nintendo courted a lot of 3rd party games that they felt were worth the effort. MH3 advertising, Tales of Graces bundling, promised DQ 9&10 promotion, Red Steel 2 dev assistance.

I bet Nintendo would've helped more if those weren't the only 'big' games they got. Think about it, these are the only big ones. 3rd parties haven't done anything else.

And no Bethseda won't make a kid's platformer, but they will publish this gen's worst racing games....

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Finally someone in Nintendo is actually speaking out about this and essentially, calling out third parties for ignoring their system after four years, even at a loss of profits. Nintendo has been needing to actually say this for a long time. If Nintendo has ANY weakness currently, its the fact that they have little third party support. And while they technically don't need them right now, they may in the future.

Its a symbiotic relationship. And one that currently is hurting other companies a LOT more than Nintendo. But come next generation, and the next major Nintendo console, it could hurt Nintendo as well.  As the lack of third parties is what was their major downfall on both the N64 and the GameCube.

What do you mean?  Reggie has been calling developers out forever.  All the time he says stuff like "I'm disapointed grand theft auto isn't here... I mean look at the install base"

etc, etc, etc.

"calling people out" for not making game for you is NOT the greatest way to build a sustainable, mutually relying partnership. I don't know when the Nintendo higher-ups will get this... and until them, great third party games will NOT come to Wii.

Did I say it was?  I'm just saying he's been bitching about it for a while to the public.

I think you've got it backwords though.  Reggie's bitching isn't keeping the games away.  Reggie is bitching because the games are staying away... and will no matter what he or Nintendo does about it...

Well unless they want to start throwing around money.  The "calling out" is really just a way to show the fans that Nintendo had been trying to get hardcore games for the system, but nothing really short of offering stuff could accomplish that... and nintendo doesn't like to offer people money and free advertismenets unless they're 100% sure it's a sure thing, because Nintendo is ridiculious conservative.

my comment wasn't targeting at you at all.

All I'm saying, it's a circle. Nintendo need to start sucking up to third party (I'm not saying they should go as far as "paying" for third party games like other consoles *cough), but being nice would be a good start

Why?  If third parties want to kill themselves let them, Nintendo can only lead the horse to water, they can't make it drink

nordlead said:
alfredofroylan said:
I'm wondering something. In todays world most of the games use some kind of engine (Unreal, CryEngine, etc.) I know Metroid prime uses its own engine .... so Why Nintendo never re-uses their own engine in other games.

they do if it makes sense (Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 for example). Would you really want to have generic game x made with engine y just to save money or a little time or even to say we used engine y? I'm sure that they (just like every other software developer) reuses a lot of code and steal the appropriate parts of old engines to make new ones. However, Nintendo doesn't need to brag about the engine being used to gain interest in their game.

I think it is actually much simpler than that ... Large Japanese game developers actually re-use a lot of code across games but this code is generally structured more as a collection of libraries than as a game engine.

Game engines really come out of the demands of PC development, where the permutations and combinations of targeted hardware and software make it difficult to produce stable code that is high performance in all (or at least most) configurations; and most of the games that used engines (primarily FPS games at first) had amazingly similar requirements.

Until recently, developers in Japan haven't needed to focus too heavily on releasing games to vastly different hardware set-ups; and developers from Japan have tended to produce games that were much more varied in style or structure limiting the appeal of focusing on developing an engine.

kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Finally someone in Nintendo is actually speaking out about this and essentially, calling out third parties for ignoring their system after four years, even at a loss of profits. Nintendo has been needing to actually say this for a long time. If Nintendo has ANY weakness currently, its the fact that they have little third party support. And while they technically don't need them right now, they may in the future.

Its a symbiotic relationship. And one that currently is hurting other companies a LOT more than Nintendo. But come next generation, and the next major Nintendo console, it could hurt Nintendo as well.  As the lack of third parties is what was their major downfall on both the N64 and the GameCube.

What do you mean?  Reggie has been calling developers out forever.  All the time he says stuff like "I'm disapointed grand theft auto isn't here... I mean look at the install base"

etc, etc, etc.

"calling people out" for not making game for you is NOT the greatest way to build a sustainable, mutually relying partnership. I don't know when the Nintendo higher-ups will get this... and until them, great third party games will NOT come to Wii.

Did I say it was?  I'm just saying he's been bitching about it for a while to the public.

I think you've got it backwords though.  Reggie's bitching isn't keeping the games away.  Reggie is bitching because the games are staying away... and will no matter what he or Nintendo does about it...

Well unless they want to start throwing around money.  The "calling out" is really just a way to show the fans that Nintendo had been trying to get hardcore games for the system, but nothing really short of offering stuff could accomplish that... and nintendo doesn't like to offer people money and free advertismenets unless they're 100% sure it's a sure thing, because Nintendo is ridiculious conservative.

All I'm saying, it's a circle. Nintendo need to start sucking up to third party (I'm not saying they should go as far as "paying" for third party games like other consoles *cough), but being nice would be a good start

If I recall correctly (and I can't find it right now, so I have to rely on memory) Nintendo massively courted third parties at the beginning of this generation.

So it has tried to make nice.

Mike from Morgantown 

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Sempuukyaku said:
I don't want Nintendo selling out, sorry. I'm VERY happy with what Nintendo creates. That's what makes Nintendo....Nintendo. They don't need to be making Bioshock/Modern Warfare/Mass Effect types of stuff. That's not who they are. No one is demanding that Bethesda make a kid's platformer, are they?

Thought so.

No, but Bethesda aren't a platform holder. If you own the platform you have some responsibility to supply customers with games. They do that very well with they're core Nintendo franchises and with the new demographics they've helped create. However, for the other traditional games they haven't and Reggie admits this in his statement. As the platform holder and console manufacturer if they're is a gap in your software library that could be profitable and is in demand then you should be trying to fill that demand either through 3rd party negotiation or 1st/2nd party. Nintendo doesn't seem to have succeeded in either.

With the amount of money they're making and considering how small they are, they could easily splash out and publish a title from a small dev making a core non-Nintendo title. With Nintendo overseeing the title it'd probably be of pretty good quality.

Scoobes said:
Sempuukyaku said:
I don't want Nintendo selling out, sorry. I'm VERY happy with what Nintendo creates. That's what makes Nintendo....Nintendo. They don't need to be making Bioshock/Modern Warfare/Mass Effect types of stuff. That's not who they are. No one is demanding that Bethesda make a kid's platformer, are they?

Thought so.

No, but Bethesda aren't a platform holder. If you own the platform you have some responsibility to supply customers with games. They do that very well with they're core Nintendo franchises and with the new demographics they've helped create. However, for the other traditional games they haven't and Reggie admits this in his statement. As the platform holder and console manufacturer if they're is a gap in your software library that could be profitable and is in demand then you should be trying to fill that demand either through 3rd party negotiation or 1st/2nd party. Nintendo doesn't seem to have succeeded in either.

With the amount of money they're making and considering how small they are, they could easily splash out and publish a title from a small dev making a core non-Nintendo title. With Nintendo overseeing the title it'd probably be of pretty good quality.

you have it completely backwards..if there IS a gap then 3rd parties should be working hard to fill it seeing as THEY will be the ones making a huge profit..not Nintendo

THAT is the problem

why should NINTENDO seek out 3rd parties??? it's like living in the hood and owning the best vault ever, and going out to ask people to put their stuff in it...WHY?! they should do it for themselves and pay you for it..christ

mike_intellivision said:
kingofwale said:

If I recall correctly (and I can't find it right now, so I have to rely on memory) Nintendo massively courted third parties at the beginning of this generation.

So it has tried to make nice.

Mike from Morgantown 

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/02/dice-nintendo-c/

That is a link of Ninty recently supporting INDIE devs but I couldn't find any stating they were helping the higher-ups.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

deathcape said:
Scoobes said:
Sempuukyaku said:

Thought so.

you have it completely backwards..if there IS a gap then 3rd parties should be working hard to fill it seeing as THEY will be the ones making a huge profit..not Nintendo

THAT is the problem

why should NINTENDO seek out 3rd parties??? it's like living in the hood and owning the best vault ever, and going out to ask people to put their stuff in it...WHY?! they should do it for themselves and pay you for it..christ

It's not backwards, it's Nintendo's platform. At the end of the day they're the ones responsible for the content. If 3rd parties aren't producing games for your platform then it's the platform holders responsibility to bring them in and convince those devs that it's worthwhile to produce games for the said platform. At the moment they aren't suceeding where MS, Sony and even (to a lesser extent) Valve are.

The 3rd-parties are nearly as much customers of Nintendo as we are as they have to pay Nintendo as the platform holder per game sold. As with anything you have to advertise and convince them to invest in your platform. Nintendo do a fantastic job of advertsing to us the consumer, but apparently a poor one of advertising to the 3rd parties.

Basically:

Nintendo's platform, Nintendo's responsibility.

They can make any game they want, they just have to buy some game designers and spend more money on games.