By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have Microsoft solidified themselves as a gaming giant equal to Sony?

Have Microsoft solidified themselves as a gaming giant equal to Sony?

Damn right J man 144 25.81%

They are getting there 170 30.47%

They arent even close 117 20.97%

Hell to the No 92 16.49%

Silver>Gold 35 6.27%

Total:558
jarrod said:
Severance said:
jarrod said:
Severance said:

SCE is the biggest first party video game company

PSP is the most successful portable gaming device that isn't made by Nintendo.

I'm not quite sure, but I think Nintendo may be larger than SCE now.  It's hard to nail down exact employee counts for SCE given their fractured setup.

And really, iPhone/iPod Touch is the most successful gaming device not made by Nintendo.

Iphone isn't a gaming device.

NGage is a gaming device.

yeah i brought that out because they're both cell phones but one is made to be mainly a phone and the other is mainly gaming device.

and SCE is the biggest first party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_divisions_of_Nintendo (Go down to "Development Studios" and look at the "internal" list)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment (go to "Internally Owned Studios")

yeah even though they're bigger, they seriously suck at marketing , Normal people don't know any First party studio (Or SCE) , but EVERYONE knows nintendo.

iPhone's a gaming device at this point. It wasn't made with that intention (like NGage) but that's where the market's taken it (unlike NGage).

And you can't just look at studio divisions to determine size (something would would actomatically favor the more fractured structure of SCEWWS versus the internal structure of NCL), you have to look at company size and employee count.   Nintendo employs "over 4000" people at last count, I can't find a solid figure for SCE for comparison (though SCEJ accounts for 1,300).  Nintendo actually also releases more games than SCE, though not all are made internally (in either case).

Actually, SCE and Nintendo have been neck and neck for the past few years.  They passed Nintendo up in their home console offerings around 2001 (ps2 vs GC), while Nintendo still thoroughly dominated them in the handheld arena, but over 2007 and 2008, Sony released more games overall across ps2/ps3/psp/psn than Nintendo released across Wii/DS/WiiWare.  Ironically, Sony fell back behind Nintendo in 2009, because while Sony released more big hitters last year than usual, their overall release slate was considerably smaller than it was the previous few years (down from over 40 games to just shy of 30).

Of course, as you pointed out, not all of these titles were developed internally by either company.

As far as total size of the two companies' internal studios, there's this report from 2007:

“Sony Computer Entertainment Studios employs some 2,200 developers across 14 different studios… it has more programmers, artists, audio technicians and designers than Microsoft and Nintendo combined.”

I assume that figure only covers actual developers, and not hardware designers, testers, etc.  And I'm sure that figure has grown as teams like Guerrilla Games expand and as Sony moves to acquire new studios like Meida Molecule.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
jarrod said:
Severance said:
jarrod said:
Severance said:

SCE is the biggest first party video game company

PSP is the most successful portable gaming device that isn't made by Nintendo.

I'm not quite sure, but I think Nintendo may be larger than SCE now.  It's hard to nail down exact employee counts for SCE given their fractured setup.

And really, iPhone/iPod Touch is the most successful gaming device not made by Nintendo.

Iphone isn't a gaming device.

NGage is a gaming device.

yeah i brought that out because they're both cell phones but one is made to be mainly a phone and the other is mainly gaming device.

and SCE is the biggest first party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_divisions_of_Nintendo (Go down to "Development Studios" and look at the "internal" list)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment (go to "Internally Owned Studios")

yeah even though they're bigger, they seriously suck at marketing , Normal people don't know any First party studio (Or SCE) , but EVERYONE knows nintendo.

iPhone's a gaming device at this point. It wasn't made with that intention (like NGage) but that's where the market's taken it (unlike NGage).

And you can't just look at studio divisions to determine size (something would would actomatically favor the more fractured structure of SCEWWS versus the internal structure of NCL), you have to look at company size and employee count.   Nintendo employs "over 4000" people at last count, I can't find a solid figure for SCE for comparison (though SCEJ accounts for 1,300).  Nintendo actually also releases more games than SCE, though not all are made internally (in either case).

Actually, SCE and Nintendo have been neck and neck for the past few years.  They passed Nintendo up in their home console offerings around 2001 (ps2 vs GC), while Nintendo still thoroughly dominated them in the handheld arena, but over 2007 and 2008, Sony released more games overall across ps2/ps3/psp/psn than Nintendo released across Wii/DS/WiiWare.  Ironically, Sony fell back behind Nintendo in 2009, because while Sony released more big hitters last year than usual, their overall release slate was considerably smaller than it was the previous few years (down from over 40 games to just shy of 30).

Of course, as you pointed out, not all of these titles were developed internally by either company.

As far as total size of the two companies' internal studios, there's this report from 2007:

“Sony Computer Entertainment Studios employs some 2,200 developers across 14 different studios… it has more programmers, artists, audio technicians and designers than Microsoft and Nintendo combined.”

I assume that figure only covers actual developers, and not hardware designers, testers, etc.  And I'm sure that figure has grown as teams like Guerrilla Games expand and as Sony moves to acquire new studios like Meida Molecule.

Oh, interesting!  I wonder f Develop's released a new report, it'd be really interesting to see how the big guys have shifted workforce wise.

Sony should be bigger, they bought Media Molecule and Guerilla/Santa Monica/Naughty Dog all bulked up iirc, but they also consolidated Studio Liverpool, BigBig and Evolution (with redundancies).  

Nintendo's not really grown that much, though they did start up Project Sora with a new staff in Tokyo.... still, I think that report may not include their consolidated studios like Monolith, Retro, Intelligent Systems, HAL, Brownie Brown, etc, as I doubt they really have 3000+ employees outside R&D (and EAD+SPD+IRD+SDD+NSD+ any other internal NCL groups should only be like 1000 max).  They also reformed NdCube, though who knows what's really happening there.

Microsoft may have actually grown the most since 2007 though, starting up four new game studios (343 industries, Spawnpoint Studio, Firebird Studio, XBLA Productions)  and buying Big Park.  Also, basically all their pedigree studios have started hiring like crazy the past year (Rare, Lionhead & Turn 10).  Rare even started up a second office with 90 employees in Burmingham... Microsoft seems to be on the rise again lately (gearing up for next gen?)...

In the words of Jay-Z

Second place is the first loser.

So No lets put it this way. Sony= Lakers and Nintendo= Boston Celtics, Microsoft= Dallas Mavericks
when you look at what their franchises did as a whole. To this point MS has not won anything

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Joelcool7 said:

Microsoft has been around two generations and I think with the 360 beating PS3 in marketshare it has definatly become as big a name as PlayStation. When you think gaming you think Mario , Kratos and Master Chief. Infact when I think gaming I think Halo, Mario , Donkey Kong , LOZ....etc....etc...

In a way I think Microsoft has surpassed PlayStation. With Halo beating any of Sony's competitive first party titles while other titles like PGR and Forza have taken out GranTurismo. I think Microsoft has more reputable brands then Sony does. Yes Sony's getting some franchises together but I think Microsoft's brands and IP's trump Sony's at least ties them.

Now will Microsoft every be to gaming as Nintendo is? , Hell no. But Sony's a good start!

^ This

They are making progress but theyre not there yet. Maybe next gen

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network

Okay, just looked up some stats from Develop's "Top 100" developers for 2009...

Nintendo (NCL only): 1,400
Project Sora: 30
Game Freak: 57

Media Molecule: 30
SCE Studio London: 260

...no other Nintendo/SCE studios made the top 50, so they didn't have studio head counts. :/

Well, Nintendo didn't acquire Monolith Soft until about a month after that article was written, so they wouldn't be included.

Project Sora wasn't founded until 2008, right? So that wouldn't have been included either.

And while Microsoft have started many new studios since 2007, they also let Bungie on the loose and disbanded Ensemble Studios and FASA Studio.  These were my two favorite developers they employed, because of Age of Empires and MechCommander.  =/

WilliamWatts said:
Hus said:
WilliamWatts said:

PSN sales don't count. Their list sucks, your list sucks since they both suck you'll have to find something better to argue about.

wehh wehh wehh still can't list anythign from MS wehh wehh wehh.

Why the hell do I care about MS? I was just saying that relative to Nintendo both suck in terms of impact so therefore you should find something more productive to argue about.

Wii Sports + Wii Fit + Mario Kart Wii + New Super Mario Brothers = more important than all of Sony's games ever produced in their entire history. If I was to put Nintendo on the same graph as Sony and Microsoft I would have to break the scale so that you could even see Sony and Microsoft on that said graph. So next to Sony's pretty poor efforts this generation and Microsofts lack of ability to perform in this area saying one flea is a little bigger than another is pretty irrelevant.

So no I don't need to even click on the Xbox 360 link above to come up with any response.

and why the hell should we care about Wii Sports + Wii Fit + Mario Kart Wii + New Super Mario Bros? We care about HD games and consoles which have the power to support games with good physics, graphics, sound, gameplay, scale, all the things that the Wii is to weak to handle. To mention Wii Sports and Wii Fit as a gamer is laughable imo. I don't give a shit about annoying games like that. Mario Kart Wii has clearly dropped quality for more sales. That games is just pure shit and leaves a big brown stain on my beloved Mario Kart serie's reputation. NSMB Wii is ok though, but still, I played that game around 16 years ago on the SNES, minus the 4 player LOCAL (lol) multiplayer.. And btw, just look at Wii Sports Resort sales compared to Wii Sports. Looks like there are many happy consumers out of those 60 million Wii Sports owners who ran to the store to get Wii Sports Resort.. LMAO.

But ye, sales are important I guess. That's why you're sitting in front of your computer digging that Britney Spears album with a bit of that Lady Gaga on the side and ye, the new Lil' Wayne album. LMAO!!! Get lost with your Nintendo trash, this is about Sony and MS. Popularity usually = pure shit in my book. Just look at the music and movie business, and television series, or MTV. That's the crowd I see buying the Wii.

Okay, so cribbing numbers from wikipedia, Develop mag, and actual dev websites, we can actually get a decent(ish) number for Nintendo's R&D...

• Nintendo (NCL): 1,400
  • Mario Club: 250
  • HAL Laboratory: 137
  • Intelligent Systems: 123
  • Monolith Soft: 83
  • Creatures Inc.: 82
  • Retro Studios: 80
  • Nintendo Software Technology: 80
  • Genius Sonority: 60
  • Game Freak: 57
  • Project Sora: 30
  • Brownie Brown: 27
  • Noise: 21
  • TOTAL: 2,430

... this is missing Ambrella (small dev, probably 30 or less) and Silicon Knights (Nintendo technically still holds a 30% stake in them, but whatevs).

akuseru said:
WilliamWatts said:

Why the hell do I care about MS? I was just saying that relative to Nintendo both suck in terms of impact so therefore you should find something more productive to argue about.

Wii Sports + Wii Fit + Mario Kart Wii + New Super Mario Brothers = more important than all of Sony's games ever produced in their entire history. If I was to put Nintendo on the same graph as Sony and Microsoft I would have to break the scale so that you could even see Sony and Microsoft on that said graph. So next to Sony's pretty poor efforts this generation and Microsofts lack of ability to perform in this area saying one flea is a little bigger than another is pretty irrelevant.

So no I don't need to even click on the Xbox 360 link above to come up with any response.

and why the hell should we care about Wii Sports + Wii Fit + Mario Kart Wii + New Super Mario Bros? We care about HD games and consoles which have the power to support games with good physics, graphics, sound, gameplay, scale, all the things that the Wii is to weak to handle. To mention Wii Sports and Wii Fit as a gamer is laughable imo. I don't give a shit about annoying games like that. Mario Kart Wii has clearly dropped quality for more sales. That games is just pure shit and leaves a big brown stain on my beloved Mario Kart serie's reputation. NSMB Wii is ok though, but still, I played that game around 16 years ago on the SNES, minus the 4 player LOCAL (lol) multiplayer.. And btw, just look at Wii Sports Resort sales compared to Wii Sports. Looks like there are many happy consumers out of those 60 million Wii Sports owners who ran to the store to get Wii Sports Resort.. LMAO.

But ye, sales are important I guess. That's why you're sitting in front of your computer digging that Britney Spears album with a bit of that Lady Gaga on the side and ye, the new Lil' Wayne album. LMAO!!! Get lost with your Nintendo trash, this is about Sony and MS. Popularity usually = pure shit in my book. Just look at the music and movie business, and television series, or MTV. That's the crowd I see buying the Wii.

You care? Ok. But you're Mr irrelevant in the market. There are more Farmville players than Wii Players to put things in perspective and there are far more Wii players than there are PS3 players. So to put it simply most people think the kind of games you like are total crap.

Good Physics, graphics, high fidelity sound weren't needed to push NSMB Wii over 10M sales. Hell if you don't care then im not going to make you. However more people care for high fidelity gameplay like for instance Mario Kart. Your kind has been outspent and outvoted, you're the minority.

You laugh at Wii Sports Resorts sales? Fine. Show me a PS3 game with a 23% attach rate? Show me an amazing Sony first party game which 20% of PS3 owners deemed worthy of purchase.

I hope Sony thinks like you, because if they do then it'll do the world a favour when they go bankrupt from their ineptness. Why let a dead horse linger on? Shoot it in the head and be done with it.