By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have Microsoft solidified themselves as a gaming giant equal to Sony?

Have Microsoft solidified themselves as a gaming giant equal to Sony?

Damn right J man 144 25.81%

They are getting there 170 30.47%

They arent even close 117 20.97%

Hell to the No 92 16.49%

Silver>Gold 35 6.27%

Total:558
Untamoi said:
jarrod said:
Severance said:

@bolded

your serious? the NGage was the first (and probably last) gaming device by Nokia it was marketing as a gaming device with Phone features and its main features is gaming (i have one)

@SCE thing

i don't know about that but you might find numbers here

http://www.worldwidestudios.net

I know what NGage is.  I kinda wanted one too, if only for Xanadu Next.  But it flopped immediately, got turned into a software platform for their phone line in general, then got killed off entirely.  iPod Touch/Phone is like the opposite, it's been dragged almost unexpectedly into the gaming market... but it's most certainly a gaming platform at this point.  Moreso than NGage ever managed sadly.

Can't find SCE employee counts there either. :/  

I did find total assets on Wiki though... SCE = 900 billion yen, Nintendo = 1.8 trillion yen.  

I know some people who have iPhone and none of them use it for gaming. Only minority of the iPhone/iPod Touch owners ever buy even a single game for it. iPod touch/iPhone might be have become gaming platform (well, you could say even regular cellphones are gaming platform just as well) but their gaming software revenue is tiny compared to any console at the moment.

Oh, I have an iPhone and I don't even use it for gaming.  But you're dead wrong on it's market, the app store is HUGE and games are actually the driving part of that.  iPhone's games market is definitely bigger than some of the current platforms on market.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
pizzahut451 said:
yo_john117 said:
pizzahut451 said:
yo_john117 said:
pizzahut451 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Garnett said:
SpartanFX said:
Garnett said:
You know this site is ran by Sony fans when they choose "Not even close", to them i say

"Who has a 5 million lead? Aww to soon??" then i LOL

well to be fair the question is Sony Vs MS and NOT PS3 vs X360.Sony had almost 40% of revenue in gaming last week whereas MS had only 13 %.

to you I say 

"who has 3 platforms on the market???" :P

True, but the brand power is what the OP was talking about.

Xbox and GFWL vs PS3 and ?? (PSP is just about to die and so is the PS2)

Xbox brand is equal with the Playstation brand.

PS2 alone doubled the sales of Xbox and Xbox 360 together

and that is history my friend. welcome to 2010.

So? Its still a fact that proves that proves that PlayStation brand is 5X stronger. How many Xbox consoles sold over 100 millon? Or even 50 million? Hell, not even a Nintendo console sold over 100 million (notice i said console, not handheld)

No no no, WAS 5x stronger, not is.

So PS2 is not a part of PlayStation brand anymore?

Is the PS2 selling more than the Xbox 360?

140.000.000+ is bigger number than 37.000.000. Do you see how that works?

PS2 is 10 years old, and if you compare PS2 sales in its 5th year and 360 sales in its 5th year (2010) you know the result...

Also, is the PS3 selling more than 360? It think it is

No, stop with the BS.  IS the PS2 outselling the 360 RIGHT NOW.

As for the PS3 outselling the 360, thats due to the slim and price cut.  Really they flip-flop pretty much each year.  MS will take the lead again when they drop the price/natal/slim 360 (if the rumors are true)  And then next year around this time the PS3 will have another price cut and it will start outselling the 360 again, next year after that MS will probably cut the price again by a bit and that will make the 360 outsell the PS3.

So see where I am getting at with either the PS3 or 360 outselling the other one?

PS2 is 10 years old, of course its selling bad (compared to this gen consoles). But why dont you compare PS2's 5th year with 360s 5th year? You'll see that PS2 numbers blow 360 away. Also i dont think 360 has any chance of outselling PS3 when PS3 hits 199$

jarrod said:
pizzahut451 said:
WilliamWatts said:
akuseru said:
WilliamWatts said:

Why the hell do I care about MS? I was just saying that relative to Nintendo both suck in terms of impact so therefore you should find something more productive to argue about.

Wii Sports + Wii Fit + Mario Kart Wii + New Super Mario Brothers = more important than all of Sony's games ever produced in their entire history. If I was to put Nintendo on the same graph as Sony and Microsoft I would have to break the scale so that you could even see Sony and Microsoft on that said graph. So next to Sony's pretty poor efforts this generation and Microsofts lack of ability to perform in this area saying one flea is a little bigger than another is pretty irrelevant.

So no I don't need to even click on the Xbox 360 link above to come up with any response.

and why the hell should we care about Wii Sports + Wii Fit + Mario Kart Wii + New Super Mario Bros? We care about HD games and consoles which have the power to support games with good physics, graphics, sound, gameplay, scale, all the things that the Wii is to weak to handle. To mention Wii Sports and Wii Fit as a gamer is laughable imo. I don't give a shit about annoying games like that. Mario Kart Wii has clearly dropped quality for more sales. That games is just pure shit and leaves a big brown stain on my beloved Mario Kart serie's reputation. NSMB Wii is ok though, but still, I played that game around 16 years ago on the SNES, minus the 4 player LOCAL (lol) multiplayer.. And btw, just look at Wii Sports Resort sales compared to Wii Sports. Looks like there are many happy consumers out of those 60 million Wii Sports owners who ran to the store to get Wii Sports Resort.. LMAO.

But ye, sales are important I guess. That's why you're sitting in front of your computer digging that Britney Spears album with a bit of that Lady Gaga on the side and ye, the new Lil' Wayne album. LMAO!!! Get lost with your Nintendo trash, this is about Sony and MS. Popularity usually = pure shit in my book. Just look at the music and movie business, and television series, or MTV. That's the crowd I see buying the Wii.

You care? Ok. But you're Mr irrelevant in the market. There are more Farmville players than Wii Players to put things in perspective and there are far more Wii players than there are PS3 players. So to put it simply most people think the kind of games you like are total crap.

Good Physics, graphics, high fidelity sound weren't needed to push NSMB Wii over 10M sales. Hell if you don't care then im not going to make you. However more people care for high fidelity gameplay like for instance Mario Kart. Your kind has been outspent and outvoted, you're the minority.

You laugh at Wii Sports Resorts sales? Fine. Show me a PS3 game with a 23% attach rate? Show me an amazing Sony first party game which 20% of PS3 owners deemed worthy of purchase.

I hope Sony thinks like you, because if they do then it'll do the world a favour when they go bankrupt from their ineptness. Why let a dead horse linger on? Shoot it in the head and be done with it.

Why are you bringing Wii into this?

Tell me the name of 1 Nintendo game on console (NON-bundled) that sold more than GTA: San Andreas or Modern Warfare 2? (Wii sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii are ALL BUNDLED)

See what i did there?

Also, its obvious you dont care about game`s quality as long as the game sells good

Uh, only Wii Sports and Sports Resort have been bundled out of those games.  Well, and MW2. :P

I dont know about you, but here at my place ( and every other place i went in Western Europe ) Mario Kart Wii is bundled with Wheel controller, Wii play is bundled with extra wii mote and i wouldnt really  call Wii Fit a game. Also MW2 had a LIMITED bundle

pizzahut451 said:

PS2 is 10 years old, of course its selling bad (compared to this gen consoles). But why dont you compare PS2's 5th year with 360s 5th year? You'll see that PS2 numbers blow 360 away. Also i dont think 360 has any chance of outselling PS3 when PS3 hits 199$

Thats what people thought would happen when the PS3 released a slim along with the $100 price cut, and as you can see the 360 is already outselling it in America and will most likely be outselling it WW if there is a price cut or something like that.  Like I said they will both most likely flip back and forth for at least a couple more years just like they have been doing in the past couple of years.

yo_john117 said:
pizzahut451 said:

Thats what people thought would happen when the PS3 released a slim along with the $100 price cut, and as you can see the 360 is already outselling it in America and will most likely be outselling it WW if there is a price cut or something like that.  Like I said they will both most likely flip back and forth for at least a couple more years just like they have been doing in the past couple of years.

PS3 is having big shortage problmes in US, you do know that?

Around the Network
pizzahut451 said:
yo_john117 said:
pizzahut451 said:

PS3 is having big shortage problmes in US, you do know that?

Well even at that I imagine the 360 will start outselling the PS3 once the next price cut or something along those lines happens.  Its just the way it works.

in USA maybe, in rest on the world HELL NO!!!!

pizzahut451 said:

You just wait and see.  Once the 360 has some form of pricecut or something epic happening it will most likely outsell the PS3 WW.

not if PS3 goes down to 199$, HA! :P

yo_john117 said:
pizzahut451 said:

You just wait and see.  Once the 360 has some form of pricecut or something epic happening it will most likely outsell the PS3 WW.

Yeah for 1 Month max...then PS3 will get back to outselling it for the rest of the whole year