By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have Microsoft solidified themselves as a gaming giant equal to Sony?

Have Microsoft solidified themselves as a gaming giant equal to Sony?

Damn right J man 144 25.81%

They are getting there 170 30.47%

They arent even close 117 20.97%

Hell to the No 92 16.49%

Silver>Gold 35 6.27%

Total:558

whoopsie. wrong thread

Around the Network

So much crow to be served around xmas this year. People really should learn to be objective in their predictions.

pizzahut451 said:

I dont know about you, but here at my place ( and every other place i went in Western Europe ) Mario Kart Wii is bundled with Wheel controller, Wii play is bundled with extra wii mote and i wouldnt really  call Wii Fit a game. Also MW2 had a LIMITED bundle

Well Heavy Rain's producer says it's not a game either.  You can take solace in the fact that you're both dead wrong.

Bundles implies hardware.  Mario Kart, Wii Play and Wii Fit don't come with a Wii (yet anyway).  

Wii Wheel is just a shell case, it's technically not even hardware.  And if you're really trying to imply that Mario Kart Wii's selling because of the Wii Wheel bundle, then Excitebots pretty much makes that notion embarrassingly null and void.  Ditto for Wii Sports Resort and Motion Plus, I don;t see Virtua tennis 2009, Tiger Woods 10, NHL 2K10, etc beyond 10 million... in both cases it's the games selling the bundled add-ons, not vice versa.  In fact you can make a strong argument that Wii Sports sells the Wii itself to casuals.

Wii Fit I think is impossible to divorce from the Balance Board.  It's more like Guitar Hero or Rock Band in that sense, the extension *is* the game really.

Wii Play's a different case though, yeah.  It'd probably still do pretty well on it's own sales wise, but nowhere near what it has as pack in with a Wiimote.  Although on it's own, it'd probably have been like $20 too.

Has Microsoft solidified themselves as a gaming giant? Oh yeah, most definitely.

Have they done so on a level that's equal to Sony's footing in the industry? Not yet, but they're getting there.

ChrisIsNotSexy said:
yo_john117 said:
pizzahut451 said:
in USA maybe, in rest on the world HELL NO!!!!

You just wait and see.  Once the 360 has some form of pricecut or something epic happening it will most likely outsell the PS3 WW.

Yeah for 1 Month max...then PS3 will get back to outselling it for the rest of the whole year

Whatever man i'm done arguing with this pointless subject.  Neither one of us truly knows whats gonna happen in the future.

Around the Network

It's kind of hard to answer this, and I don't believe there is just 1 answer.
Yes, they have sold more than the PS3 (duh).
But that doesn't really answer any questions imo

| Sony Bravia 52" LCD | Sony Bravia 5.1 System |

| 20" iMac | 13" MacBook | M17X Alienware Gaming Laptop |

| 120GB Slim PS3 | 80GB Fat PS3 | 250GB Xbox 360 | Wii | PSP Go |

jarrod said:
pizzahut451 said:

I dont know about you, but here at my place ( and every other place i went in Western Europe ) Mario Kart Wii is bundled with Wheel controller, Wii play is bundled with extra wii mote and i wouldnt really  call Wii Fit a game. Also MW2 had a LIMITED bundle

Well Heavy Rain's producer says it's not a game either.  You can take solace in the fact that you're both dead wrong.

Bundles implies hardware.  Mario Kart, Wii Play and Wii Fit don't come with a Wii (yet anyway).  

Wii Wheel is just a shell case, it's technically not even hardware.  And if you're really trying to imply that Mario Kart Wii's selling because of the Wii Wheel bundle, then Excitebots pretty much makes that notion embarrassingly null and void.  Ditto for Wii Sports Resort and Motion Plus, I don;t see Virtua tennis 2009, Tiger Woods 10, NHL 2K10, etc beyond 10 million... in both cases it's the games selling the bundled add-ons, not vice versa.  In fact you can make a strong argument that Wii Sports sells the Wii itself to casuals.

Wii Fit I think is impossible to divorce from the Balance Board.  It's more like Guitar Hero or Rock Band in that sense, the extension *is* the game really.

Wii Play's a different case though, yeah.  It'd probably still do pretty well on it's own sales wise, but nowhere near what it has as pack in with a Wiimote.  Although on it's own, it'd probably have been like $20 too.

i dont think heavy rain is a real game anyways. And Excitebots didnt sold as good as mario kart because of the weaker brand name. but if you bundle a controller with a strong brand game you should expect good sales (example: GT:P) especially if its a wii controller, considering wii is a party system you play with your friends, so have to buy a second controller

What metric are people working with again? If we're using the forum definition which means 'close to' of equal then for anyone who wants it to be so it is so. Because I remember how the PS3 magically caught up to the Xbox 360s library with a single release which was MGS4 according to some people. Therefore its perfectly valid that if you want it badly enough then its obviously true.

Tease.

Sony has sold nearly 10 times as many gaming consoles as MS has.

Just because the 360 has 4% more market share than the PS3 so far this generation doesn't make them an equal.

Ps3 sales are bound to catch up to and at least equal the 360s sales within the next 3 years, and regardless MS will still come in 2nd this gen.

Sony was the driving force behind the success of DVDs with the PS2, and now Blu-ray with the PS3.

Sony's gaming consoles have pointed the entire world in the direction of DVD and now Blu-ray. The 360 hasn't pointed the world in the direction of anything. Its pointed a TON of 12-16 year old boys to Halo and MW2.

The government uses Sony's processors for its computers. The 360 uses hardware thats commercially available pretty much everywhere.

MS has solidified itself with yet another failure thanks to piss poor failure rates thanks to the RROD.

MS WILL grow into a much larger gaming presence eventually, but as of right now its still leaps and bounds behind Sony.

Sorry, OP.

HexenLord said:
Sony has sold nearly 10 times as many gaming consoles as MS has.

Just because the 360 has 4% more market share than the PS3 so far this generation doesn't make them an equal.

Ps3 sales are bound to catch up to and at least equal the 360s sales within the next 3 years, and regardless MS will still come in 2nd this gen.

Sony was the driving force behind the success of DVDs with the PS2, and now Blu-ray with the PS3.

Sony's gaming consoles have pointed the entire world in the direction of DVD and now Blu-ray. The 360 hasn't pointed the world in the direction of anything. Its pointed a TON of 12-16 year old boys to Halo and MW2.

The government uses Sony's processors for its computers. The 360 uses hardware thats commercially available pretty much everywhere.

MS has solidified itself with yet another failure thanks to piss poor failure rates thanks to the RROD.

MS WILL grow into a much larger gaming presence eventually, but as of right now its still leaps and bounds behind Sony.

Sorry, OP.

I look forward to reading many more of your articles on SDF, keep fighting soldier!