By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE needs to stop reviewing immediately! Enough is Enough!

God I think this is the like the tenth time I said this in this forum alone, let alone others.

Edge users a different scale which is comparable to other industries(1 to 10 scale, where 5 is average), but when compared to this industry it might seem harsh(1 to 10 scale, where for some unknown reason 7 or 7.5 is considered average).

Also you need to stop viewing numbers as quality source for judgement, or something is seriously wrong with you.

Edit: Also Halo 3 was generally considered good by this industry. Stop using it a reference. 

Around the Network
nightsurge said:

Its called different strokes for different folks.  They don't use one reviewer that does all the games.  Each game affects different people differently.  A 10 game to one person could honestly be 5 or less game for other people.  There is no conspiracy theory going on here.  I thought this was common knowledge and surely nothing to get panties in a twist about.

That's exactly why they are bullshit reviewers. By your logic it's completly fine to let FPS hater review Halo 3 and give it a 4/10, just because he hates fps and multiplayer.

But there is this thing called professional critic, which should try to be as unbiased as he can (it's impossible to be completly unbiased, there is too many factors affecting you whetever you know it or not, that's scientific fact which was brought by Structuralistic method of analyze). But they are joke. They contraindict themselves with each god damn review. It should be colective decidison to rate a game, not a fkin russian rullete.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

For you people complaining OMG BIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why are you getting so worked up over this?

Does the game getting an arbitrary score really affect your enjoyment of it that much?

Do you think Edge cares that you think they're biased?

Do you think the developers really need you to defend them?

Haven't played the full version of GoW3 yet so... be back in a week from now lol

I can confirm God of War 3 is astounding!

Bayonetta is OK but clearly in a different league. To be fair it's not only Edge which has grown a wacky reputation, Gamespot and Eurogamer (UK) have pretty dubious reputations regarding past reviews as well, for example criticizing certain titles for certain aspects while leaving other titles untouched which display similar traits and actually overhype those titles.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

and for the record the fact that we have a bunch of people complaining over a game getting an 8 is just rediculous......its a good score get over it. Now if EDGE had given GOW a 4 then maybe there would be something very fishy going on but as it is accept the score and move on with your lives it'll still be a great game.

I say this everytime an Edge score is brought up:

The writing is good, the scores are bizzare and inconsistent.

This pretty much sums up reviews from Edge. Your best bet is to read the content and ignore the score. Even games Edge has scored poorly, after reading the content, I am sometimes more inclined to get the game.

And I'd take a look previous GoW games rating from Edge. 8 is pretty much standard for a GoW review from edge. Yes, the Bayonetta score is weird though, as is the Halo 3 score.

But they are my favorite reviewer. Not that I read there reviews but I love to read the reactions to the reviews.

Whenever I see a review I always know it is time to pop some popcorn

I don't think most people are complaining specifically about the actual scores, but with regard to consistency. (Comparing scores)

I would love to see reviewers resorting to harsher scoring, but it has to be consistent. Halo 3 and GTA IV are far from perfect for example, they can be easily topped in so many ways (both technically and from a game design perspective, you can pick out the shortcomings easily which could have been improved on significantly), so providing a score less than perfect leaves room for other games to top them and push the devs to do better next time.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I was expecting a 7/10, 8/10 is a very good score for them. I do tend to agree with them more often than not.