By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE needs to stop reviewing immediately! Enough is Enough!

Kantor said:
8/10 is not a bad score, and people seriously need to get this into their heads. Nobody is going to read Edge, think "8/10?" and then not buy the game. If that was the case, they probably wouldn't buy very many games, because 8 is WELL above the average score for a game from Edge.

Bayonetta...I have no idea what happened there, and what thought processes could have been going through the reviewer's mind to make him think it was perfect.

Edge seems to rate down games with large portions of non interactive play(ala FFXIII a 5 and Dragon Age a 5). For those two examples, Edge also does not seem to care about story that much either. However, Edge  does like fairly challenging control schemes and Bayonetta has one of the best. The story in Bayonetta is junk thou and most other review sites dock the game accordingly. Given the amount of cut scences in God of War 3, a 8 from Edge is expected.

Around the Network

I'll give some input. Let's analyze the Bayo v. GOW III situation.

For a game to receive a perfect ten, it needs to be...well, perfect. Great gameplay, great story (if it has one), great atmosphere, great graphics and sound, everything. Seeing as Bayonetta had an absolutely terrible and frankly annoying story/acting, this should set it back. It also had fretfully long load times (I've seen complaints for both versions).

Then we have God of War 3, a game with unparalleled graphical fidelity, tremendous sound, epic storytelling (however basic), intense atmosphere, over-the-top-action and gameplay that has set standards for its genre.

This is the real reason people are pissed over the scoring. If they graded both games at the same level, people wouldn't complain quite as much, but giving Bayonetta (a game which is inferior based solely on what we have seen so far) a higher score is a foolish decision.

I survived the Apocalyps3

Its not so much that I want them to raise their PS3 and Wii review scores, I just want them to lower their 360 scores(with some exceptions). They score 360 games too high, some of their "Perfect Scores" aren't even deserving of a 7/10 (again with exceptions).
Edge please stop be so biased, I'm pretty sure even Aaron Greenberg is tired of going to work everyday with lipstick smudges on his ass.

kowhoho said:

For a game to receive a perfect ten, it needs to be...well, perfect. Great gameplay, great story (if it has one), great atmosphere, great graphics and sound, everything. Seeing as Bayonetta had an absolutely terrible and frankly annoying story/acting, this should set it back. It also had fretfully long load times (I've seen complaints for both versions).

Then we have God of War 3, a game with unparalleled graphical fidelity, tremendous sound, epic storytelling (however basic), intense atmosphere, over-the-top-action and gameplay that has set standards for its genre.

This is the real reason people are pissed over the scoring. If they graded both games at the same level, people wouldn't complain quite as much, but giving Bayonetta (a game which is inferior based solely on what we have seen so far) a higher score is a foolish decision.

That's odd, I didn't realize you could play the game already to formulate all those conclusions....

kowhoho said:

For a game to recieve a perfect 10 what it needs is great gameplay. It is afterall a game. Games have been great without stories, with terrible graphics, will probably be great with graphics 10* more real than today, have been great with 8 bit sound and so on. The one metric which a game must be judged is gameplay, everything else comes 2nd to that. Most people don't care about graphics, sound, story and the most popular games look and sound like complete ass and have no story whatsoever.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network

Fine. We'll talk exclusively about gameplay. God of War's gameplay is undoubtedly genre-defining. Games like Dantes Inferno, Bayonetta and (arguably (some people may disagree)) Devil may Cry are automatically compared to it. So I'm not buying into the idea that it's gameplay isn't absolutely astounding and I definitely don't believe that the most popular games "look like ass" unless wer'e basically talking about the Wii.

nightsurge said:
kowhoho said:

That's odd, I didn't realize you could play the game already to formulate all those conclusions....

Based on past installments and the concensus that the third game plays more or less the same as the first two, I can assume that the gameplay will be outstanding. We already know the graphics are amazing. If the story continues in the way that it has been throughout the series it will be very interesting at the very least. I don't have to play the game to know these things.

kowhoho said:
nightsurge said:
kowhoho said:

Based on past installments and the concensus that the third game plays more or less the same as the first two, I can assume that the gameplay will be outstanding. We already know the graphics are amazing. If the story continues in the way that it has been throughout the series it will be very interesting at the very least. I don't have to play the game to know these things.

Gameplay that hasn't changed sounds like a negative.  Even if it is amazing, too much of the same will get old after a while.

edge are pathetic, gow 8, ff13 5, dragon age 5,

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

kowhoho said:
Fine. We'll talk exclusively about gameplay. God of War's gameplay is undoubtedly genre-defining. Games like Dantes Inferno, Bayonetta and (arguably (some people may disagree)) Devil may Cry are automatically compared to it. So I'm not buying into the idea that it's gameplay isn't absolutely astounding and I definitely don't believe that the most popular games "look like ass" unless wer'e basically talking about the Wii.

No, the reason they are compared to GOW is because of the whole package GOW delivers.....any person who has played all NG , DMC and Bayonetta will tell you that GOW has by far the weakest combat system of the 3.

Im not ripping the game , but GOW's gameplay is far from genre defining.....GOW is genre defining in the sense of story , character , production value but gameplay....dont make me laugh.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!