By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE needs to stop reviewing immediately! Enough is Enough!

I like BW_JP's idea of leaving out any below 9 scores for GoW3, because that would totally eliminate bias.

What a joke, welcome back megaman. It's good to have a rampant Sony fan around here since this site is so biased against anything Sony.

Edit: Also, unless GoW3 is significantly different from the first two (which a lot of reviewers have said it's not), an 8/10 sounds pretty fair to me.

Around the Network
aragod said:
nightsurge said:

Its called different strokes for different folks.  They don't use one reviewer that does all the games.  Each game affects different people differently.  A 10 game to one person could honestly be 5 or less game for other people.  There is no conspiracy theory going on here.  I thought this was common knowledge and surely nothing to get panties in a twist about.

That's exactly why they are bullshit reviewers. By your logic it's completly fine to let FPS hater review Halo 3 and give it a 4/10, just because he hates fps and multiplayer.

But there is this thing called professional critic, which should try to be as unbiased as he can (it's impossible to be completly unbiased, there is too many factors affecting you whetever you know it or not, that's scientific fact which was brought by Structuralistic method of analyze). But they are joke. They contraindict themselves with each god damn review. It should be colective decidison to rate a game, not a fkin russian rullete.

That's not what I'm saying.  Just because you love the FPS genre doesn't mean you can't have differing opinions.  That's all reviewers are giving you, is their professional opinion.  For example, I love the FPS genre and I also happen to love both Halo 3 and CoD4/6, yet as far as FPS goes they are completely different play styles and most people seem to like one or the other.  If I were to review them, they would both get great scores, but if someone who loves Halo style reviews them both, one would likely score better than the other.

They aren't contradicting anything because there is not one reviewer doing all the games.  They have a team of reviewers and each game ends up being reviewed by a different reviewer.

And as for what MikeB said, that still doesn't matter because he is giving his opinion that they are far from perfect when many people will still feel that those games were perfect.  That's why we have Metas, because not one reviewer stands for them all and we can always expect some people to not like the game as much as others.

Most people who argue with review scores like this, have likely never played the games they are using as comparisons.  I'm sure most of you have not played Halo 3 or ODST with an unbiased mind so you can't be basing your argument off of a review for a game that even you haven't played.

Originally 5/10 was average
nowadays its like 8-9-10?/10 for average
Ever think Edge uses the old scoring system?

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

I Don't give a F**k what EDGE have to say, If they score it a 9 , a 10 or even a 5 , I completely disregard their opinion. Very poor reviewers and extremely inconsistent.

8/10 is much higher than many expected from Edge.

Around the Network
blazinhead89 said:
I Don't give a F**k what EDGE have to say, If they score it a 9 , a 10 or even a 5 , I completely disregard their opinion. Very poor reviewers and extremely inconsistent.

But that's just it.  You don't WANT consistent because that right there shows bias and a flawed review system.  The fact that they aren't consistent shows me that they do use a team of reviewers (not just a few that review the same games/types every time) and are less biased and more realistic than most other review sites out there.

@Nightsurge. You need to have consistency so people can actually trust your review. Reviews to me help me find Niche titles I never would have thought of playing without the reviews. If There's inconsistentcy, Then people wont find any use to the review.

blazinhead89 said:
@Nightsurge. You need to have consistency so people can actually trust your review. Reviews to me help me find Niche titles I never would have thought of playing without the reviews. If There's inconsistentcy, Then people wont find any use to the review.

Consistancy in the individual reviewers, yes.  Not consistancy as a reviewing publication as a whole.  That's why you don't want one person doing all your reviews.  Its good to spread it around and get different takes on things once and a while.

Ha ha! The weekly EDGE hate thread...

The thing is, if GOW3 (I haven't played it nor I won't) is exactly like GOW2, it does not deserve more than an 8 (which is a very good score for edge). Graphics can be astounding, as well as the music, but you know, it is the same game, no extra experience. Good graphics are always welcomed, but your eyes get used to them quickly (I was a PC graphic whore in the past, I know what I am talking about), and in the end you are left with the same experience, and that's what really matters.

And well, many of EDGE haters actually don't read the reviews (which are usually the best ones over the rest of magazines), only the score. If you were really EDGE readers, you will know that. Read the text, and if you fancy what you read, ignore the score. You know the score is so small (in size in the articles) on purpose, don't you? Because they actually want you to read the article...

Edge is erratic, this is to be expected.

Is Edge the one that heavily favors new IPs, or is that Eurogamer?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.