By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE needs to stop reviewing immediately! Enough is Enough!

Why should they leave? I guess they make some good money with the magazine and that enough people agree with their OPINION.

Around the Network

everyone has an opinion bro and 8/10 isn't a bad score. I only played the god of war 3 demo and personally i would give that alone a 10 but thats just me. it's hard to get a decent review these days because every reviewer has their preference and has their own biases.

reviewers have to learn to review games by themselves and not to review it as god of war 3 the sequel that hasn't changed much. the same thing happened to mario party games. the more that came out the worse the reviews got because reviewers were sick of playing it. remember they have to review every game even the crappy ones. i would be pretty pissed off if i was stuck playing and reviewing all of those nonsense games you see in magazines that have scores of a 4 or 5/10 or even worse

Here's the thing. Bayonetta is a AAA game that despite not having the graphical capabilities of GoWIII, did enough to push the genre forward to stand out as a AAA title by itself. You will see ideas from Bayonetta in God of War IV.

Now, I'm not sure, but it is very likely that the formula for GoWIII is very similar to its predecessors.

I can't speak for GoWIII's review score, but imo, Bayonetta on the Xbox 360, was as perfect as an action game can get. It innovated, it didn't take itself seriously, and it had amazing set pieces and the deepest combat system yet invented in a game, while still managing to be relatively userfriendly.

I think it's obvious to a lot of reviewers why Edge, and Famitsu, and a ton of other sites gave Bayonetta a perfect score. I mean, it IS a AAA game afterall, and it didn't need graphics or hype to achieve that, so WTF, why the hate? Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it's not there to get. For instance, I never will understand why God of War is so popular.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Also, just to state a relevant anaolgy, I think Bayonetta is probably going to be much better than God of War III in MY opinion. I'm not a big fan of God of War, and again, Bayonetta, and DMC before it, are the actual tentpole titles for the genre(again imho EDIT: And by that, I mean that they have maintained the innovation needed to keep the genre relevant to the overall evolution of gaming). They aren't sequels, this isn't Transformers 2, and no bulletpoint list of why Transformers II is better than The Hurt Locker changes the fact that The Hurt Locker is the shit.

Bulletpoint list example:

Transformers II

1. Epic CGI

2. Epic Storyline engrossing the whole galaxy

3. Billions of dollars made from popularity.

4. Excellent, well known and famous actors.

The Hurt Locker:

1. Cheaply made

2. Small scale storyline, non-political and shallow

3. Unknown actors

4. Low budget

Still, in the end, Transformers II is worst picture of the year, and The Hurt Locker is the best.

The thing is, bullet points don't mean ANYTHING. A game is NOT the sum of its parts, and no matter how much you want to berate another game to promote your own, it doesn't change the fact that it is just your opinion, and its usually the small indy films that take chances, and innovate, are the best, and the large budget popcorn action flicks are as forgettable as a snowflake.

God of War III in my mind is kinda like Avatar(IMO). I have seen Avatar, thought it was shit. A lot of people love it, they think it's the best movie ever made, and they wonder how the the shit it didn't win best picture. That's a differing opinion, and though my opinion isn't very popular, there is a certain clique of high end movie reviewers(some would call them elitist) that feel the same way. They prefer epic movies like Cache, to Pirates 4.

I haven't played God of War III, but I highly doubt that it's going to be perfect, and to me, Bayonetta was. I understand the perfect scores, I understand why it's a AAA game, and I understand Edge's logic when they give it a 10/10. However, like Cache(one of the greatest films ever) general audiences hate the shit out of it.

The best movies, music, and games, are usually the ones you don't see coming. If nothing else, life is great at throwing curve balls. That said, everyone has their own opinion, so let Edge have theirs. Bayonetta is a AAA game, so it's certainly fantastic, arguing over which game is MORE fantastic is as childish as it is ignorant.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Here's the thing. Bayonetta is a AAA game that despite not having the graphical capabilities of GoWIII, did enough to push the genre forward to stand out as a AAA title by itself. You will see ideas from Bayonetta in God of War IV.

Now, I'm not sure, but it is very likely that the formula for GoWIII is very similar to its predecessors.

I can't speak for GoWIII's review score, but imo, Bayonetta on the Xbox 360, was as perfect as an action game can get. It innovated, it didn't take itself seriously, and it had amazing set pieces and the deepest combat system yet invented in a game, while still managing to be relatively userfriendly.

I think it's obvious to a lot of reviewers why Edge, and Famitsu, and a ton of other sites gave Bayonetta a perfect score. I mean, it IS a AAA game afterall, and it didn't need graphics or hype to achieve that, so WTF, why the hate? Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it's not there to get. For instance, I never will understand why God of War is so popular.

I got a chance to play some Bayonetta on the 360. A lot of fun, almost too powerful, weird like. But one thing is clear, It's no AAA game. Maybe the next will be, hope they slap a better story though.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

I got a chance to play some Bayonetta on the 360. A lot of fun, almost too powerful, weird like. But one thing is clear, It's no AAA game. Maybe the next will be, hope they slap a better story though.

The only thing that's clear in this instance, is it's commonly accepted that a game with a score of 90 or greater on Metacritic is considered a "Triple-A game" on this and most of the internet, and Bayonetta does have a score of 90 percent on Xbox 360, so whatever your opinion might be, it doesn't change the fact that Bayonetta for the 360 is generally accepted as AAA by the most common definition.

Your opinion, or mine, doesn't matter in this instance. Now, I'm sure you've mistaken either my intent when I called it AAA, as me stating an opinion, or perhaps you weren't aware, or cared to refute the most commonly accepted definion of "AAA" but either way, you'd have been wrong in my humble opinion.

This is probably a simple mistake. However, if you wished to stick to your guns, let me say this. To me, anything can seem clear. It is clear to me that God of War isn't a very good game, and it is clear to me that the Playstation 3 has tons of overhyped and mediocre exclusives as does the Xbox 360. It is clear to me that PC gaming's graphical advantages are vastly overhyped while the disadvantages of the platform are ignored, waved off, or downplayed, and that these inconsistancies are never refuted due to console gamer ignorance. It is clear to me that motion controls aren't all they were hyped up to be, and they are mainly targeted towards casual gamers. It is clear to me that Nintendo games aren't as good as they used to be, and it is clear to me that most people in this thread are biased in favor off God of War III. However, those things are just opinions, and no matter how clear I think they may be, that doesn't change the fact that no one cares what I think, because they have their own opinions, and they don't need mine.

What they might need, is my reasoning and my deduction, and that is what I try to provide, only giving my opinions as a point of reference from which those deductions originate.

.......plus, you can't really watch "some" of The Godfather, and realize why it's a great film.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

BenVTrigger said:
Edge usually only give really high scores to games that they see as very unique or innovative like LittleBigPlanet. I understand them giving GOW 3 an 8 considering it really only is a next gen version of the previous 2, basically every review says that. Now to me GOW 3 i'm sure will be a 10 since it is by far one of my favorite franchises but I understand why someone would give it an 8.

they are going to give halo reach at least a 9, we all know that. so no, they dont care about inovation

ZenfoldorVGI said:
psrock said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

The only thing that's clear in this instance, is it's commonly accepted that a game with a score of 90 or greater on Metacritic is considered a "Triple-A game" on this and most of the internet, and Bayonetta does have a score of 90 percent on Xbox 360, so whatever your opinion might be, it doesn't change the fact that Bayonetta for the 360 is generally accepted as AAA by the most common definition.

Your opinion, or mine, doesn't matter in this instance. Now, I'm sure you've mistaken either my intent when I called it AAA, as me stating an opinion, or perhaps you weren't aware, or cared to refute the most commonly accepted definion of "AAA" but either way, you'd have been wrong in my humble opinion.

This is probably a simple mistake. However, if you wished to stick to your guns, let me say this. To me, anything can seem clear. It is clear to me that God of War isn't a very good game, and it is clear to me that the Playstation 3 has tons of overhyped and mediocre exclusives as does the Xbox 360. It is clear to me that PC gaming's graphical advantages are vastly overhyped while the disadvantages of the platform are ignored, waved off, or downplayed, and that these inconsistancies are never refuted due to console gamer ignorance. It is clear to me that motion controls aren't all they were hyped up to be, and they are mainly targeted towards casual gamers. It is clear to me that Nintendo games aren't as good as they used to be, and it is clear to me that most people in this thread are biased in favor off God of War III. However, those things are just opinions, and no matter how clear I think they may be, that doesn't change the fact that no one cares what I think, because they have their own opinions, and they don't need mine.

What they might need, is my reasoning and my deduction, and that is what I try to provide, only giving my opinions as a point of reference from which those deductions originate.

.......plus, you can't really watch "some" of The Godfather, and realize why it's a great film.

I give you an 8/10 for effort

jonnhytesta said:
 BenVTrigger said:
Edge usually only give really high scores to games that they see as very unique or innovative like LittleBigPlanet. I understand them giving GOW 3 an 8 considering it really only is a next gen version of the previous 2, basically every review says that. Now to me GOW 3 i'm sure will be a 10 since it is by far one of my favorite franchises but I understand why someone would give it an 8.

they are going to give halo reach at least a 9, we all know that. so no, they dont care about inovation

So, you are implying that Edge is biased for a particular console or developer?

Do you think anyone else related to this thread is biased?

NO NO, NO NO NO.

patapon said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
psrock said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

I give you an 8/10 for effort

lol, you straight up pulled an Edge on my God of War III.

NO NO, NO NO NO.