By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - POLL: What Do You think of FF13 DAY 1 Sales (450K) -- American Sales!

POLL: What Do You think of FF13 DAY 1 Sales (450K) -- American Sales!

AMAZING! 28 9.66%

Very Good 119 41.03%

Disappointing....not halo level! 26 8.97%

Meh.....expected better 90 31.03%

HORRIBLE -- JRPG's are finished! 27 9.31%

Total:290
Demotruk said:
This one will be more frontloaded than FFXII. Sales patterns are more complicated than just 'this series has legs, this series does not'. It's about selling on hype, selling on brand power, selling on word of mouth etc. Games that sell on hype tend to be more frontloaded, and FFXIII was a very hyped game. If it gets good word of mouth, it won't be so frontloaded, etc.

So the game possibly just sold 60-70% of it's US+EU sales already and will most likely struggle to sell 2M of the 3M shipment?

We shall see.

You think FFXII wasn't hyped?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

I didn't say it wouldn't sell it's shipment. If it sells it's full shipment, that's still less than FFXII, because that sold 5.7 million overall.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Euphoria14 said:

Did I say that? FFXIII has been massively hyped for years, nearly more than any other HD game.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

I will be happy if that number doubles with full week numbers, I was hoping it to be around a million for both consoles combined first week in america.

Demotruk said:
Euphoria14 said:

Did I say that? FFXIII has been massively hyped for years, nearly more than any other HD game.

No, but what I am saying is that FFXII was hyped long before it came out as well. People look forward to these games long before they are even set to release.

There is nothing to prove that now all of a sudden US+EU sales for the franchise became heavily frontloaded when they never have been before in those territories, even after FFVII, which also was incredibly hyped and sold 330k in it's first week in the US.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1997_Sept_9/ai_19749216/

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
KillerMan said:
fastyxx said:
Is that number total for both platforms? That's just an average name-recognized title launch on multi-plat, isn't it? I mean AvP did 350k or so across the two consoles in Americas, no? Bioshock 2 did over 500k.

I think the number's kinda meh, personally.

Day one. Bioshock and AvP numbers are full week numbers.

Right.  Which is why it's meh.  A game with the pedigree and hype and waiting period of FFXIII only does 700-800k for  first  week compared to those games?  To me, it's not too exciting.  People had threads going that FFXIII was going to move significant console numbers, yet alone move software.  Maybe the actual numbers will be higher than these?

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Euphoria14 said:

Why does everyone keep saying it is frontloaded? It is frontloaded in Japan.

Last game in the series, FFXII sold 572k in Americas first week and went on to sell 1.87M and first week of 423k in Others and 1.40M. I don't think FW sales equaling around 30% of that territories LTD is considered as heavily frontloaded.

Unfortunately we don't have breakdowns for FFVII-FFX but I am sure they weren't all 70-80% FW frontloaded beasts. These titles were only that way in Japan. They have legs outside Japan.

Check the database.

FF12 also release for Christmas. So it will be more front loaded than FF12. At least for its first few weeks. LT it might have similar legs. Still... not nearly trhe 10 million seller SE was hoping for.

Euphoria14 said:
Demotruk said:
Euphoria14 said:

No, but what I am saying is that FFXII was hyped long before it came out as well. People look forward to these games long before they are even set to release.

There is nothing to prove that now all of a sudden US+EU sales for the franchise became heavily frontloaded when they never have been before in those territories, even after FFVII, which also was incredibly hyped and sold 330k in it's first week in the US.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1997_Sept_9/ai_19749216/

Hype of a JRPG doesn't necessarily translate to gargantuan sales in the West, given that the JRPG fanbase in the west is smaller than fanbases of other genres.  So relatively speaking, 800K for a JRPG in its first week in the US is phenomenal, since no JRPG has even cracked 1 million LTD in the US in this gen.  It's all relative.

I think that no one should have bought it, then do developer would make JRPGs again. All kidding aside, that's a bit disappointing considering how hyped it was, but not a bad start. I know that I won't be buying, renting, borrowing, or pirating it anytime soon. It isn't even worth my bandwidth. No offense meant to JRPG fans.

P.S. I was kidding about the pirating, I don't do that kind of stuff.

Considering that JRPG is a dying genre in the US and even the best JRPGs of this generation (ToV, Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles) have failed to sell even a million copies, I would say that S-E has gotta be pleased with those numbers. FFXIII should easily cross the 1 million mark by early next week and become the best selling JRPG in the US this generation and by a substantial margin to say the least.