By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why can't Nintendo just sue Sony for imitation?

demitri55 said:
@bamboleo

i think your bias. just cause its sony they are copying?? how about if nintendo copied this?? and this is from 1999/2000

sorry, if the wii mote were just 2 waggling detectors i dont think it would have worked similarly to motion detection. The case here is that both Wand and WM+ track full movement with the aid of sensors. Not just acceleration.In fact...I doubt ninty looked at this way back.The fact is you cant do anything wii mote related with that kind of tech in the video. Shooters?comon. Swordplay?Really? it doesnt tracks movement.Just records waggling. I see why this type of ideas didnt took off.

Around the Network

@ demitri

All I see is a geek holding a pair of controllers than rather being motion sensors, are shake sensors with near zero precision.

And shake sensors I used to see at the circus along with toys that would make some stupid noises if they were shaken.

As for you post above, if you don't see the obvious similarities between wiimote and nunchuk and the Sony rip offs, you are in serious trouble.

I think there is hardly anything more complicated than patents and their laws.

Bamboleo said:
@ demitri

All I see is a geek holding a pair of controllers than rather being motion sensors, are shake sensors with near zero precision.

And shake sensors I used to see at the circus along with toys that would make some stupid noises if they were shaken.

As for you post above, if you don't see the obvious similarities between wiimote and nunchuk and the Sony rip offs, you are in serious trouble.

see now you are changing your stance,,,you were blaiming sony for copying the idea(different method),,,now the video the guy had the same idea ,,,again different method.it is the same situation as sony Vs nintendo.

That my friend is called double standards.

intro94 said:
demitri55 said:
@bamboleo

i think your bias. just cause its sony they are copying?? how about if nintendo copied this?? and this is from 1999/2000

sorry, if the wii mote were just 2 waggling detectors i dont think it would have worked similarly to motion detection. The case here is that both Wand and WM+ track full movement with the aid of sensors. Not just acceleration.In fact...I doubt ninty looked at this way back.The fact is you cant do anything wii mote related with that kind of tech in the video. Shooters?comon. Swordplay?Really? it doesnt tracks movement.Just records waggling. I see why this type of ideas didnt took off.

he clearly states in the video that it can be use for other genres. he also mention a wireless version in the works. it also involves a nun-chuck and a main controller. in another video he also says it will use motion sensing (and in this video even says body tracking). i will look for that video or interview. its rumored midway sold this patent to nintendo and he was fire so they wouldnt have to pay him royalties (hence why he is suing nintendo and ex-midway founders). so please f you dont know dont comment. did you even watch the video by the way??

p.s he filed 3 patents under this prototype and it's rumored it was all sold to nintendo. actually when nintendo filed a patent for the wii-mote they made reference to this guy patents.

Around the Network

Just change ABXY to geometry shape. Simple.

routsounmanman said:
Nintendo is a very conservative company; they simply don't see any threat from Sony's "Gem", thus they are reluctant to act against it.

Thats why they sued the australian guy who ripped NSMBWii and put it on a torrent site? For how much was that again? No, Nintendo will sue, if they have a case, you can bet on that, but I doubt that Sony is dumb enough to let that happen

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

demitri55 said:
intro94 said:
demitri55 said:
@bamboleo

he clearly states in the video that it can be use for other genres. he also mention a wireless version in the works. it also involves a nun-chuck and a main controller. in another video he also says it will use motion sensing (and in this video even says body tracking). i will look for that video or interview. its rumored midway sold this patent to nintendo and he was fire so they wouldnt have to pay him royalties (hence why he is suing nintendo and ex-midway founders). so please f you dont know dont comment. did you even watch the video by the way??

p.s he filed 3 patents under this prototype and it's rumored it was all sold to nintendo. actually when nintendo filed a patent for the wii-mote they made reference to this guy patents.

i did watch the video. Hes not the only one who sued(and of course failed) to get a case against the success of the Wii mote. Many other ideas were similar but not the same(and thats why so many different businesses tried to sue upon the wiimote). I think he had a lot of ideas and theories that nintendo made true(he didnt really put the ideas in practice) , but that never gave him a case on anything. You cant be so open to believe anyone claiming they sold the right to nintendo.In fact, nintendo wouldnt have lost anything by acknowledging Midway if all that jazz was true. The biggest possibility, is that all of that is bogus and gold digging.While he mentions other genres, his patent certainly doesnt shows any possibility of achieving that.Is like saying "In the future we will travel at light speed, but not knowing how. Later when people get that together, i will sue them for copying my idea".

SpartanFX said:
the very first answer ended the thread ,,,

an idea is not patentable.method is.Sony's method for motion control is way different from nintendo's.

now later in the thread you talk about design infringement(the way they look).My answer is that first sony hasn't even revealed the look of the thing ,,second that is one of the most obvious thing that sony will make sure it looks different enough.The glowing ball alone makes the design infringement case pointless.I know cause i have taken the patent course in UNI.

Below are the three types of patents in the US (from the US Trademark & Patent office)

http://www.uspto.gov/patents/process/index.jsp

• Utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, article of manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof;
  • Design patents may be granted to anyone who invents a new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture; and
  • Plant patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers and asexually reproduces any distinct and new variety of plant.

Obviously, Nintendo does not have a plant patent.  It probably has a design patent -- and only some internal parts may be similar. The question is whether or not it has a utility patent which could talk about using controllers to track motion.   My guess is that it probably does not -- this is based upon the experience with the D-pad. Similar products doing the same thing were allowed but they had to differentiate themselves from Nintendo's patented design.  Thus, only an examination of the finished product will determine whether or not there is anything to litigate.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

intro94 said:
demitri55 said:
intro94 said:
demitri55 said:
@bamboleo

i did watch the video. Hes not the only one who sued(and of course failed) to get a case against the success of the Wii mote. Many other ideas were similar but not the same(and thats why so many different businesses tried to sue upon the wiimote). I think he had a lot of ideas and theories that nintendo made true(he didnt really put the ideas in practice) , but that never gave him a case on anything. You cant be so open to believe anyone claiming they sold the right to nintendo.In fact, nintendo wouldnt have lost anything by acknowledging Midway if all that jazz was true. The biggest possibility, is that all of that is bogus and gold digging.While he mentions other genres, his patent certainly doesnt shows any possibility of achieving that.Is like saying "In the future we will travel at light speed, but not knowing how. Later when people get that together, i will sue them for copying my idea".

do you know how to argue? he didnt even sue yet hes planning too, but it goes beyond nintendo it involves a lot of people. actually he  made a prototype and a final build but again was fired by midway and there's reports/files he has as well as other midway employees that midway fired him and sold the patents to nintendo but again this case will take a lot of work (i call it rumors till i see some evidence). they didnt want to pay him royalties so they gave him the axe. nintendo even made a reference to his patents when they filed for a patent on the wii-mote so you cant even argue that the wii-mote wasnt inspired or copied off of this