By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why can't Nintendo just sue Sony for imitation?

demitri55 said:
intro94 said:
Bamboleo said:
intro94 said:
demitri55 said:
@bamboleo

i think your bias. just cause its sony they are copying?? how about if nintendo copied this?? and this is from 1999/2000

sorry, if the wii mote were just 2 waggling detectors i dont think it would have worked similarly to motion detection. The case here is that both Wand and WM+ track full movement with the aid of sensors. Not just acceleration.In fact...I doubt ninty looked at this way back.The fact is you cant do anything wii mote related with that kind of tech in the video. Shooters?comon. Swordplay?Really? it doesnt tracks movement.Just records waggling. I see why this type of ideas didnt took off.

Ditto

again i repeat myself. Nintendo Motion sensing patents were developed by the company Gyration(a company that existed before this Goshy guy), A COMPANY INVOLVED IN MOTION SENSING FOR 18 years. Nintendo aproached them in 2001. And paid them, and hired them to work with them.And paid for their use of THEIR patents.

So choice one:
Nintendo, as stated officially, aproached Gyration-a company that focused in motion controls and devices- and co-developed the wiimote.

choice 2.
Nintendo aproaches midway, hides the fact, falsely ackwnoledges Gyration, which by coincidence did have motion patents prior 2000, pays Gyration even tho it had to pay Midway and this fella. Just for kicks you know.Midway keeps it quiet, and dont care , 10 years later Goshy decides to sue in a complicated case.

Choice are officinal statements. Choice b are a bunch of rumors.It was most likely a -passing coincidence-i give props to goshy for coming with a similar idea back then, but comon.

What we talk about here are similar control schemes, motion-acceleration and sensors.

and when nintendo/gyriation or who ever you want to bring up 'ILL REPEAT MYSELF' they made a reference to goshy patents. which is rumored to have been sold to nintendo by midway and then later goshy was fired to avoid being payed royalties. this is why goshy is planning on suing nintendo and ex-midway founders. you cant say the wii-mote wasnt inspired or copied off of this when nintendo or gyiration REFERENCE goshy patents. when you reference someone elses patents it means you are 'using or building from an existing product or idea'.

thing is...nor gyration nor Nintendo patents actually reference pat goshy in any way or form..Despite what goshy might claim.And it makes sense. Gyration technology already had all the elements pat goshy showed years earlier. So he couldnt sue for something others already had put together.Ok, i will rest this case saying this: I can ensure you will never hear Midway or Pat receiving a cent from Nintendo , EVER. You can explain it because nintendo bribes the court or has too many good lawyers or simply because they have no case. But thats how its gonna be.Now, back to topic.

Around the Network

god this world would be 100 times stupider if that were possible.

@ Bamboleo )

Contrary to what some people here seem to believe, Nintendo is very protective of their IPs and patents, so they will sue, if they see any slight chance to do so.
For that they surely have an army of highly capable lawyers that have at least a million times the knowledge and insight anyone in this thread has, so you as normal user should do what you are supposed to, focus on gaming, and quit the whining.

oh and by the way goshy said that this video went out to manufacturers and game developers. even in the end, he ask for any potential partners or anyone interested to contact him (and midway i think). this could of went to nintendo and thats when all this BS between him, nintendo, and midway occurred

ultimately, everybody copies from somebody

it's up to us to realize where it came from and who does it better, and who its better suited for.

i for one thought they (sony and msoft) were sure footed in not wanting anything motion. (i don't count sony's first attempt with their 6 axis, it was WACK).

but obviously they wanna jump the bandwagon.

remember when there were a whole bunch o people saying msoft don't need that, bla bla bla...look at em now..."O NATAL LOOKS GOOD AND BLA BLA BLA".

hypocrites is say...hypocrites. (aside from motion controllers...how bout them "avatars" people lol...Mii's lead to theives indeed)

Around the Network

I think Sony should sue Nintendo for the Classic Controller Pro. It is a clear Dualshock ripoff.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

demitri55 said:
intro94 said:
basically, we are focusing in design here, WAND and NUNCHUK. certainly Sony idea looks a lot closer to the wii mote than anything else.Like the video guy.We can argue that we cant really copyright that, and thats why Sony could copy the idea mostly without any legal threat and thats fair.So i doubt theres a case on that topic for now.

its funny you and boleo keep ignoring or changing your stance when ya are proving wrong LOL. how does it look like the wii-mote and nun-chck? come on give me the similarities. oh thats right you dont even know how the ps3 arc nun-chuck looks like or if it's even a nun-chuck. sony never officially stated "nun-chucks" that was journalists.

actually i already answered that , goshy patent was never referenced anywhere. Nomenclature is not the basis of argument.I didnt change my stance.I already explained why the Midway affair is bogus and most likely entirely false and moved on to the completely different Sony and nintendo new situation.

Think about it. Why sue, when you can just let them spend more money marketing a failure in progress . . .

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

theARTIST0017 said:
Think about it. Why sue, when you can just let them spend more money marketing a failure in progress . . .

thats another valid possibility.

intro94 said:
demitri55 said:
intro94 said:
Bamboleo said:
intro94 said:
demitri55 said:
@bamboleo

i think your bias. just cause its sony they are copying?? how about if nintendo copied this?? and this is from 1999/2000

sorry, if the wii mote were just 2 waggling detectors i dont think it would have worked similarly to motion detection. The case here is that both Wand and WM+ track full movement with the aid of sensors. Not just acceleration.In fact...I doubt ninty looked at this way back.The fact is you cant do anything wii mote related with that kind of tech in the video. Shooters?comon. Swordplay?Really? it doesnt tracks movement.Just records waggling. I see why this type of ideas didnt took off.

Ditto

again i repeat myself. Nintendo Motion sensing patents were developed by the company Gyration(a company that existed before this Goshy guy), A COMPANY INVOLVED IN MOTION SENSING FOR 18 years. Nintendo aproached them in 2001. And paid them, and hired them to work with them.And paid for their use of THEIR patents.

So choice one:
Nintendo, as stated officially, aproached Gyration-a company that focused in motion controls and devices- and co-developed the wiimote.

choice 2.
Nintendo aproaches midway, hides the fact, falsely ackwnoledges Gyration, which by coincidence did have motion patents prior 2000, pays Gyration even tho it had to pay Midway and this fella. Just for kicks you know.Midway keeps it quiet, and dont care , 10 years later Goshy decides to sue in a complicated case.

Choice are officinal statements. Choice b are a bunch of rumors.It was most likely a -passing coincidence-i give props to goshy for coming with a similar idea back then, but comon.

What we talk about here are similar control schemes, motion-acceleration and sensors.

and when nintendo/gyriation or who ever you want to bring up 'ILL REPEAT MYSELF' they made a reference to goshy patents. which is rumored to have been sold to nintendo by midway and then later goshy was fired to avoid being payed royalties. this is why goshy is planning on suing nintendo and ex-midway founders. you cant say the wii-mote wasnt inspired or copied off of this when nintendo or gyiration REFERENCE goshy patents. when you reference someone elses patents it means you are 'using or building from an existing product or idea'.

thing is...nor gyration nor Nintendo patents actually reference pat goshy in any way or form..Despite what goshy might claim.And it makes sense. Gyration technology already had all the elements pat goshy showed years earlier. So he couldnt sue for something others already had put together.Ok, i will rest this case saying this: I can ensure you will never hear Midway or Pat receiving a cent from Nintendo , EVER. You can explain it because nintendo bribes the court or has too many good lawyers or simply because they have no case. But thats how its gonna be.Now, back to topic.

AHAhAHAH LOL LOL!!! did you just really say this?? now i know you have no idea or knowledge about this case or topic. nintendo and gyiration patent does reference goshy patents (wish i can use a certain word to describe you). oh my god imma so get the article that even shows nintendo patent reference goshy to shut you up so badly LOL LOL.

p.s midway sold the patents to nintendo so midway got their money. goshy was axed and rumored to have been because they didnt want to give him any royalties.