By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why can't Nintendo just sue Sony for imitation?

psrock said:

Copying success is not dumb, that's just smart. Sony will be getting all the games from third parties the Wii used to get exclusively. And from what  I hear, it's better anyway.

I think you're biased

You cant directly copy another company's product, that's what patents are for, which is the discussion at hand.

BTW, they both are 1:1 motion controls, neither will be "better" than the other.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network
Raze said:
psrock said:

Copying success is not dumb, that's just smart. Sony will be getting all the games from third parties the Wii used to get exclusively. And from what  I hear, it's better anyway.

I think you're biased

You cant directly copy another company's product, that's what patents are for, which is the discussion at hand.

BTW, they both are 1:1 motion controls, neither will be "better" than the other.

It will be better, way better.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Well at least many 2006~2009 motion control trolls are now singing a different tune, finally they understood what evolution is.

@ PSrock

Copying success is not dumb, I agree, is a complete shame when you just talk shit about it, get butt raped in the market and need to imitate the very same device you trolled.

If Sony just had a different stance from the beginning, everything would be different and they wouldn't be facing just an embarrassment that is copying the "underdog console"

nordlead said:
V-r0cK said:
Sony's smart, they're not going to spend millions making something they'll know they'll get sued for.

Everybody's copied everybody one way or another, its just how well can one succeed with it.

tell that to immerson with the dualshock rumble feature.

tou che....

t2k said:
Nintendo benefits from broadening the gaming market, suing every company/competitor that 'mimics' them, 'borrows' their 'ideas' presents Nintendo in a bad light and stops further growth of the gaming industry.

In short: Nintendo are NOT Apple

I wish Nintendo WAS Apple.

Sony would be forced to stop the rip off factory in no time.

Around the Network
Raze said:
Viper1 said:
Raze, 2 things.

1. Developers demanded the attachment. They weren't happy with just a wand and knew via Wii development that you need an analog stick and a few buttons to go with it to make it a viable input method for complex gameplay. The use of the Duals shock 3 was the interim fix but the idea was scrapped because it was bulky and prone to flying out of developers hands when swung. They eventually conceded to include a nun-chuck like device.

2. Nintendo owns patents, true, but you can only patent a method of something. You can't patent the overall idea. And beyond that, you only need to alter a few things to bypass the patent completely. Take rumble for instance. Nintendo owns the patent to the rumble technology in the controllers yet Sony has rumble in theirs. But Nintendo couldn't sue them because the design was different. Ironically, Immersion Corp had a vibration patent that was exactly like the one Sony used in their controllers so they did sue.

So, then will there be a "nunchuck" for Natal? Happy or not, developers dont tell the HW company what to make, the HW company tells the devs what they are capable of designing. Is there ANY source, proof on the net NOT in a forum of this tech or even Sony musing about it? It seems like a lot of hype for something that doesnt even have one source of mention.

Yes and no, patents cover the mechanics of a device. If you read a patent, should it exist, it will read something like "Wired connectivity motion controller device accessory using BlueTooth technology" ...if the patent passes, then no one else can use that same method without permission. Obviously, diagrams of its functionaity must be provided. The point is, if Nintendo does hold a patent for the nunchuck, Sony cant just make a direct knockoff. They would have to add another clown nose to the left handed device, and allow it to be tracked by camera input only. Depending who has the original license for the tech on thumb sticks, Sony might not even have the capacity of adding a thumb control device to the unit.

Of course, this is all pending on the afforementioned conditions, IF this Sony device even IS real.

I still think the best idea of them all was that break-apart controller. That would have impressed me the most.

Raze, I AM the source on this one.  A nun-chuck like device is coming and it was due to pressure from developers to put it in.   And your Natal point is just silly as that would defeat the entire purpose of a hands free input system.

And I'm quite familiar patents since I have a few of my own.  As I said, you can patent a specific method, you cannot patent on overall idea.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

@Bamb- so the highest selling console is the underdog? ... thats like saying final fantasy is an underdog compared to enchanted arms.

@ seraphic

"Underdog console" is the Sony notion and PR bullshit talk about the Wii and its controls.

Right about 1 year before they decided to copy it maybe.

Bamboleo said:
Well at least many 2006~2009 motion control trolls are now singing a different tune, finally they understood what evolution is.

@ PSrock

Copying success is not dumb, I agree, is a complete shame when you just talk shit about it, get butt raped in the market and need to imitate the very same device you trolled.

If Sony just had a different stance from the beginning, everything would be different and they wouldn't be facing just an embarrassment that is copying the "underdog console"

Why does it bother you so much, let them copy away, it's going to "fail" anyway according to some. I will buy the Wiimote instead for my PS3. I don't support pirating.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Well, they didn't sue when Sony 'borrowed' the design of the SNES pad for the PS pad...

VGChartz