By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why can't Nintendo just sue Sony for imitation?

Do we have any confirmation of a Sony "nunchuck"? Thus far, Ive not seen anything.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network

Raze, it's coming. You'll see it at GDC.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Aw man, who cares. I find it hilarious. XD
Sony is being extremely hilarious. The way videogames have evolved ever since DS was announced is ineffably ironic, especially considering Sony and their actions.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

well, Nintendo can't sue them until they see the final product, take it apart, and see if it infringes on any of their patents. So we could see this hit store shelves, then a suit start, then it get pulled (nyko nunchuck thingy had that happen)

As for if there is a nunchuck or not, it is strongly rumored, and Sony can't keep a secret to save themselves, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see one soon.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

This might be the funniest thread ever.

How dare you Sony copy Nintendo with ideas and motion control which you have been working on since the PS2 era?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

^^ PSrock , motion controls have been in the works since the onset of virtual reality in the early 90s, before the PS1.

Viper - I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think Sony can make a nunchuck-device without infringing on a Nintendo patent.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Raze said:
^^ PSrock , motion controls have been in the works since the onset of virtual reality in the early 90s, before the PS1.

Viper - I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think Sony can make a nunchuck-device without infringing on a Nintendo patent.

Oh they are making one, and I bet you Sony has a patent for it.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

It all depends on what the Nintendo patents cover and what Sony has done.

To right now, say that an action can or cannot be taken is to state without full knowledge.
Also, not taking action now does not preclude taking action in the future whereas taking premature action may be a obstacle to proper action in the future.

In other words, we have to "wait and see."

Actually, I am really surprised that no one is doing patent searches right now to determine exactly what Nintendo holds the rights to do. Since it has patented things like a football controller and a horse-riding controller, it may hold more patents than it is letting on.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Raze, 2 things.

1. Developers demanded the attachment. They weren't happy with just a wand and knew via Wii development that you need an analog stick and a few buttons to go with it to make it a viable input method for complex gameplay. The use of the Duals shock 3 was the interim fix but the idea was scrapped because it was bulky and prone to flying out of developers hands when swung. They eventually conceded to include a nun-chuck like device.

2. Nintendo owns patents, true, but you can only patent a method of something. You can't patent the overall idea. And beyond that, you only need to alter a few things to bypass the patent completely. Take rumble for instance. Nintendo owns the patent to the rumble technology in the controllers yet Sony has rumble in theirs. But Nintendo couldn't sue them because the design was different. Ironically, Immersion Corp had a vibration patent that was exactly like the one Sony used in their controllers so they did sue.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Nintendo is a very conservative company; they simply don't see any threat from Sony's "Gem", thus they are reluctant to act against it.