By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why can't Nintendo just sue Sony for imitation?

Pingu said:
Bamboleo said:
Incubi said:

Reminds me of:

I'm not sure if you're aware about gaming history but, oh well, here it goes again:

The same way Sony is actually ripping off the Wiimote and Nunchuk from Nintendo, they did the same in the past 15 years with:

- D-Pad;

- Analog Sticks;

- Shoulder Buttons;

- Rumble.

So actually, the PS2 controller is the imitator and the Gamecube controller is the original one, just evolved, with the ideas first brought to gaming by Nintendo.

You may want to do a little more research next time  ;)

Case closed ;) 

you are just trollling now

PS1 to 3 kept the same controller which was on the PS1's debut a SNES controller.

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
Bamboleo said:
@ weretikken

That technical explanation sure is a fine spin to describe what is not quite an analog controller and more of a primitively-evolved directional stick.

I see we're not getting to an agreement here. I just accept your opinion but I'll stick with mine, and thanks for posting anyway, your posts while not agreeing with mine are very polite and informative.

Exactly the opposite as some users around.

I won't keep harping on this, as the original post was about a different issue. But a technical explanation is not a "spin".

The definition of what is an analog input and an analog stick are not opinions. They are technical definitions.

And the 5200 controller was an analog stick, because there's no middle land between analog and digital. Either you're analogic or you're not. And according to wikipedia so were other console controllers, one of them by Sony, predating the N64 one. And even home computers used analog controllers for gaming in the same time frame.

You can stick to your opinion, just as you can stick to your opinion that the moon is made of cheese. Not all opinions are equally relevant or factually substantiated, though. And not agreeing with factual data makes little sense.

Yeah, by definition the 5200 had it as well.  But as far as gaming goes, it was really brought into mainstream gaming in a way that could be harnessed by 3D games by Nintendo.

Nintendo did not invent the analog stick, but they did have the original idea of correctly using it for the first time in a 3D space.  This is where Nintendo fans blur their reality, and confuse "introducing it" with "Nintendo invented it"

No 3D game before Super Mario 64 knew what 3D controls worked as well as SM64.  Sony did "copy" the idea by bringing analog to their controller, but they also had their own innovation (2 sticks, no annoying 8-way pronged tilt)

On the other side, I say Sony (and MS for that matter) have brought their own innovations to gaming that Nintendo hasn't done.  Can't we all just enjoy gaming for what it is and not hate on other people's blind love for certain corporations?

I mean, Nintendo fans, sure Nintendo has brought these innovations to gaming; that is their genius! They are true innovators always looking for the next way to interact with gaming, but have they been pushing High Definition gaming? Did they have DVD players in their systems last gen? Sure to some ppl these are pointless, but to others like myself they are awesome and pushing boundaries that blur video games from other electronics, and stop the idea of games being a "toy".

roccerfeller said:

Yeah, by definition the 5200 had it as well.  But as far as gaming goes, it was really brought into mainstream gaming in a way that could be harnessed by 3D games by Nintendo.

Nintendo did not invent the analog stick, but they did have the original idea of correctly using it for the first time in a 3D space.  This is where Nintendo fans blur their reality, and confuse "introducing it" with "Nintendo invented it"

No 3D game before Super Mario 64 knew what 3D controls worked as well as SM64.  Sony did "copy" the idea by bringing analog to their controller, but they also had their own innovation (2 sticks, no annoying 8-way pronged tilt)

On the other side, I say Sony (and MS for that matter) have brought their own innovations to gaming that Nintendo hasn't done.  Can't we all just enjoy gaming for what it is and not hate on other people's blind love for certain corporations?

I kind of like the 8-way profile and I'm glad it's still there in the nunchaku, but yeah, I can almost subscribe everything you said :) Nintendo integrated the use of analog controls so well in 3d platformers and adventures that they made a huge diffence in game design history and everybody else followed them.

As I said myself before, in the end popularizing and designing around an idea is what mostly counts, and I don't want to diminish N's accomplishments in game design by a single inch.

On the other hand, some fans should take a more realistic and widely informed approach to such issues, and that's where I went pedantic.

Going back to the original thread for a bit: N could also have a great interest in Sony's new controllers. Third parties have been quite lacking at supporting the odd men, but they seem to be interested in more Wii M+/PS3 projects, or at least that's the impression I got from early announcement.

Nintendo could pay with a small shred of its extended market and dwell in a slightly less blue ocean, but get in exchange more motion-focused third party development, and they seem to need some momentum in that sense.

Thus, going the way of patent litigation against the most similar other motion control system might not be a good business maneuver, even admitting they had any legal basis.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

This goddamn pissing contest again?
"Bohoo, everyone copies Nintendo and gets away with it." Nintendo copied Amiga and Atari and made a console that was plugged into the TV! The horror!

Everyone just grow up, these matters won't ever be settled so just leave it be until we grow old and can fling tapioca pudding at each other to back up out statements. That's how real men settle their differences you know.

5 pages of this bullshit? Fuck that.

Around the Network

The real point of this thread is that patent laws are confusing and outdated. It is a broken system that hasn't been used for its originals purpose for years. Instead of protecting an inventor's invention, it has become another way for corporate giants to screw each other over.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

/thread

Mummelmann said:
"Bohoo, everyone copies Nintendo and gets away with it." Nintendo copied Amiga and Atari and made a console that was plugged into the TV! The horror!

Everyone just grow up, these matters won't ever be settled so just leave it be until we grow old and can fling tapioca pudding at each other to back up out statements. That's how real men settle their differences you know.

It's because they're not gamers. They refuse to accept competition.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Mummelmann said:

So those things are not barely identical?there it is obvious.I know sometimes threads change into a who copied first blah blah but in this very case?

Snesboy said:

/thread

Awesome ending, I would have say nothing if people stopped posting :)