By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why can't Nintendo just sue Sony for imitation?

Bamboleo said:
WereKitten said:
Bamboleo said:

1) We're talking here about home console gaming. The amount of "inovations" brought by companies or a group of geeks into PC's is insane. Check the skinput technology on youtube for example.

2) You doubt. Period.

3) For home computers, exactly. Not consoles.

4) There's so many ways, yet Sony decides to go exactly the Wiimote and nunchuk way. Coincidence? Epic no.

You're needlessly confrontational, and not addressing the gist of my argumentation.

I'm talking of early eighties here. And for several years after the great console crash home computing meant mainstream gaming, especially in Europe. It was not a geeky minority, it was all there was to gaming and it's where the consoles had to restart from/compete against.

If all you saw is Nintendo, of course anything they did would look new to you. But gaming is -and was- a much bigger and varied world and Nintendo drew inspiration from the existing as much as anybody else, and rightly so.

@Damnyouall

thanks for another example, forgot about the 5200 and didn't really know much about the vectrex.

Now we're drifting from facts to our own opinions.

While I respect yours, you have to realize that if things were as you describe, Nintendo wouldn't be considered by the gaming community, and press, as the 'creators' of such features in home console gaming as D-pad, Rumble, analog sticks, shoulder buttons, etc.

Thing is, they are considered to be the ones bringing that, and Sony is already famous from many years now to adopt the Nintendo creations.

And Computer gaming is not home console gaming since I recognized the difference between a computer and a console back in the 80's when I first saw a commodore (or Spectrum, I'm not sure which was the first, but I clearly remember the Jumping Chickens game)

Do you have any evidence to support this? Otherwise this is surely just an opinion

Anyway the thread seems to be going way off topic to an analysis of the controllers of various consoles over the last 20 years which ultimately proves nothing and results in flame war (which I am guilty of too). Going back to the OP the answer is no Nintendo cannot sue as what matters is that the tech in the MOVE is different to the wiimote and the obvious similarities aside this is all that matters. Surely the fact that the remote operates with the PS eye indictaes taht they are not exactly the same.

My current Soul Silver Team:

Around the Network

@Bamboleo

Actually "You fail like no else does" is valid for your whole topic:

Sony motion controller, 2004: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbSzmRt7HhQ

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Wonktonodi said:
CloudPhoenix said:
Who cares? The wand or arc, will flop imo, PS3 is a Mature System, I can't see Adults playing motion games on PS3

sixaxis

very few games bother with six axis tbh and even when they do the feature is optional and 90% of people probably dont use it

My current Soul Silver Team:

"potentiometer-based analog stick"

It happens the all mighty craptacular "analog stick" from Atari 5200 was nothing else than a directional stick programmed with some more standart pin points, not really user-free chosen angle and direction.

http://pinouts.ru/Inputs/JoystickAtari5200_pinout.shtml

As for the Vectrex, yes it seems I was wrong, but I fail to see whether the games of it make use of the "analog" technology has the games seems to be controlled in the regular 2 axis scheme.

And the fact that vectrex is whether a console or some kind of hybrid computer just designed for games is arguable. It clearly doesn't fit completely the home console category which are discusing, yet is not fair to consider it a computer too, ok.

@ damnyou all

You're funny to infinite levels and that video shows a toy being recognized by the camera, that's a famous video that shows nothing similar to the Wii controls, which was what Sony presented.

Pingu said:
Wonktonodi said:
CloudPhoenix said:
Who cares? The wand or arc, will flop imo, PS3 is a Mature System, I can't see Adults playing motion games on PS3

sixaxis

very few games bother with six axis tbh and even when they do the feature is optional and 90% of people probably dont use it

but there are some.  and there are games that are sixaxis only like supper rub a dub.  Folklore had a mandatory and welldone use of the sixaxis.  So I do agree that it's few games and yes 90% don't use it.  But just like not all wii games use motion controls either.  It's just something that is there.  I guess I could have just said you should see how many adults play wii sports or mario kart wii, but I was bringing up that the ps3 had motion controls from the day it was launched. 

Around the Network

Please allow me to highlight the most important part of your post:

Bamboleo said:

It happens the all mighty craptacular "analog stick" from Atari 5200 was nothing else than a directional stick programmed with some more standart pin points, not really user-free chosen angle and direction.

As for the Vectrex, yes it seems I was wrong, but I fail to see whether the games of it make use of the "analog" technology has the games seems to be controlled in the regular 2 axis scheme.

And the fact that vectrex is whether a console or some kind of hybrid computer just designed for games is arguable. It clearly doesn't fit completely the home console category which are discusing, yet is not fair to consider it a computer too, ok.

@ damnyou all

You're funny to infinite levels and that video shows a toy being recognized by the camera, that's a famous video that shows nothing similar to the Wii controls, which was what Sony presented.

I have nothing to add.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

@ wonktonodi and Cloudphoenix and pingu

The sixaxis use is not like the motion control itself seen in a wii game, much more like and additive for the gameplay which could be done by mapping it to buttons.

The games that support motion on the sixaxis, are just for the sake of it.

Whether adults would like to play or not motion controled games on PS3 is yet to be seen, imo.

Damnyouall said:

Please allow me to highlight the most important part of your post:

Bamboleo said:

@ damnyou all

I have nothing to add.

Good, it means you're out of arguments and you're finally leaving the thread. Thanks for posting anyway.

See you around. Peace.

Bamboleo if Nintendo can sue they will
The world works with innovation taking something and working it into something else. The move is a different type of motion controller from the wii mote and nun chuck just and it's different from sixaxis or the balance board or natal.
Nintendo is not the creators of all that is video gaming.
Sony is not the thief or copier of all that is video gaming.
The big answer to your question imitation is not something you can sue over. Copyright infringement is.

Bamboleo said:

I don't know how you came to that conclusion from the technical document you've linked to. I quote from it:

Analog Direction Inputs

Potentiometer inputs are 0-500kohm, linear. Directional inputs are read by a RC delay circuit, i.e. the time it takes a capacitor to recharge after being discharged determines the potentiometer positions.

• North=0 ohm between pins 9 and 11
  • South=500 ohms between pins 9 and 11
  • West=0 ohm between pins 9 and 10
  • East=500 ohms between pins 9 and 10

I don't know how competent you are in technical stuff -and if you aren't you should not be drawing conclusion from wiring schemes- but that means that the input (ie the stick position) was coded linearly as a resistance between pins 9 and 11 for the y axis and between pins 9 and 10 for the x axis.

Linearly meaning that if you displaced the lever twice as much, you got twice as much electric resistance. Displace the lever in any direction and you would have a number between 0-500 on the y axis and another 0-500 number on the x axis.

That's what an analog control is, as opposed to a digital one: you don't just have a binary 0/1 bit telling you if you're pushing up, but a whole range of values. Thus the stick was not a digital directional stick.

Was it a crappy controller? Probably, as it was not even self centering as the vectrex one was, but that's not the point.

Go read the wikipedia article to find other examples of analog console controllers predating the n64 one, there is even a sony double analog flight stick mentioned. And let the whole argument go.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman