By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst predicts 127m PS3 sales

So what's most impressive? selling 127m PS3 in 10+ years or 103m in five?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

They use weird metrics. "In use" isn't lifetime sales. But how they arrive at the "In use" figure beats me.

I guess they wouldn't be so stupid as to say that the Wii will have sold 76 million at the end of this year. 85 million sold seems like a reasonable figure (20m sold this year), and that would mean around 90% of Wii's "in use".

But if there are 85m Wii's by the end of this year, they only expect 18 million more sold total? That just feels wrong. And the PS3, respectively, will steal all of those Wii sales and sell 20m per year (on average) for the rest of it's "10 year lifespan"?

I don't understand how they think.

This is invisible text!

I don't think it will happen but what if both consoles have very different lifetimes ?

PS3 might sell 100m+ by the end of 2016 and Wii will stop selling in 2012 and be replaced by the Wii HD? Its still very bold and quite a stretch.

Is this a joke? :| Common, not even the biggest Sony fan would ever claim that the PS3 will break the 100 million mark, byut this... this is just absurd :|

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Do analysts lack common sense, or are they simply being paid under the table by Sony?

If the PS3 has only sold 32 million in its first 3+ years of existence, which is almost always the prime time for the console's life, what in blue hell would prompt him to think that it'll sell another near 100 million in years 4-10, when console sales tend to stagnate and decline? Or does he just think the PS3 will just magically sell forever?

I don't get people.

Maybe there is a need for there to be a shake up in the industry so the money types, who don't understand videogames, leave, and let those who have a clue, follow it. I assume this site is the company that made the prediction:
http://www.strategyanalytics.com/default.aspx?mod=NavigationHeader&a0=66

dirkd2323 said:
What is sad about someone agreeing with this? Because your a 360 fanboy, ITs unlikley but possible PS3 sales those type of numbers, Sony commits to the 10 year life cycle, PS3 is in year 3 , with over 30 million in sales now. They have another 7 years, And the popularity is rapidly growing. So what is sad is someone not seeing logic behind this, anything is possible. Its even possible if MS plays there cards right the 360 puts numbers like these up also, anything is possible, hard to see what the up comming years will hold.

Just like it's possible for me to win the lottery. I keep dreaming about it every day.

@OP: I'm sure the analysts know their stuff. I will never doubt them.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

why are ppl doubting this? maybe they cant do the math?

I have to laugh.... the guy works for a company called SACHD.