By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst predicts 127m PS3 sales

patapon said:

I have nothing more to add

Despite some stiff competition, your post wins for being the most entertaining one in this thread. It was totally awesome!

Although I was expecting someone to pop out and scare the daylights out of me right before the sneeze. Thankfully that didn't happen.

Around the Network
numonex said:
The PS3 would have to sell for 15 or 20 years to be able to reach 127 million. As soon as a new generation starts the sales of these superseded older systems will plummet regardless of what price they are selling for on the market. Consumers demand the latest and greatest technology.

2013: $150 for a PS3 or $300 for a PS4?

Are you really that smart, 15/20 years.  Really.

Hus said:
Wyrdness said:
Those touting the 10 year strategy to back up this amusing prediction I think you need to take into account PS1/2 were market leaders by a huge margin, look at the PSP for one they can keep it on the market for 10 years but I doubt it'll even see 90m at this rate, Sony can keep the PS3 on the market for 10 years but by not being market leader don't expect the same sales its predecessors had. My opinion of this prediction is that it's not going to happen and just someone's wishful thinking.

Or some one looking at events with open eyes.

- PS3 sales increase every time price drops.
- It could end up doing near 20m in a year.
- For sure PS3 has atleast 1 more sales increasing price drop if not two.

It does not need the 10 years to crack 100 Million, it will most likely do it in 6/7. 

Keep telling yourself that it may just happen, I'm a PS3 owner as well and quite frankly I'll stick with reality, a lot of users are saying they have the tech yet why is the PS3 being destroyed by the Wii when DQX arrives that will be the PS3s death warrant signed in Japan a region which supplied the PS2 with 20m+ sales to add further injury to the unbeatable force the Wii is in the west, the big franchises MGS, FF and so on have barely moved the competition or troubled them, each price drop only instigates a sales spike over two or so weeks before things return to normal so what next?  Two more price cuts aren't going to make the PS3 sell 20m a year unless they drop the price down to £/$1.00, it won't crack 100m as the momentum the PS2 had being the console to get with no alternatives to it's library isn't there for the PS3 I can see it outselling the 360 and reaching PSP numbers. The consumers have all jumped on the Wii and the 360 has provided a worthy alternative to the PS3 something the PS1/2 didn't have (although the N64 is still one of the best consoles ever made).

@ Twistedpixel

So what? Technology won't help them.

The Wii is already behind the times and yet it still kicked their butts

I think a much better take on this would be that the PS3 doesn't need to be the most powerful console 5 years from now as is currently the case for the PS3 to continue to sell. Further increases of HDTV penetration should help the PS3.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

this is bull

Around the Network

I don't get the HDTV point. Are you telling me that there are millions of people waiting to get an HDTV BEFORE they buy a PS3? Seriously, I'm trying to find the logic in it. Who are these people not buying the console they want until AFTER they buy a new TV?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Demotruk said:
MikeB said:

@ Twistedpixel

I already explained before the PS3 launched why I thought the PS3 uptake would be slower initially than was the case for the PS2. (Being ahead for its time much more so than the PS2 was, this translates into higher entry pricing and problems regarding adapting legacy game engines, also relatively new and high tech such as HDTV, fast internet access and surround audio setup are preferred)

But the PS3 isn't selling to the expectations you set out. You said it could overtake the 360 in 2009, and you said that in the same year. You also said in 2008 (reiterating an earlier prediction) that PS3 would start to outsell Wii globally Christmas 2008.

Nothing unusual about making bad predictions, most of mine have gone afoul, but at least don't pretend everything has gone according to expectations.

Some in context quotes people. I said if Final Fantasy XIII, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, etc would be launched in 2009 it would be a possibility for the PS3 to overtake the XBox 360 as I also thought a slimline PS3 would be launched in 2009. But I said I thought this would likely materialize by 2010.

I never formulate my statements as stricly as you do here, so I doubt you can find such quotes. And although before the Wii's launch I was one of the very few who believed in the Wii system, I acknowledges it many times already that the Wii's success and hype overshadowed my expectations.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

People, don't take this out of context. I think that this could be possible, however, not very likely to happen while the system is still relevant in the market, it would be something like what happened with the PS2 and the crazy sales it had with used-cheap games at Gamestop. However, the same thing could happen with the Wii, even though I don't see much that the Wii could offer in the long run, compared to all the features that a PS3 can offer as an entertainment system. Just imagine how would sells could be in some years for the PS3 if you could have the whole package of blu-ray, free online (if it still exist), internet browser, video plaback, music playback, etc for a price of $99. The Wii wouldn't be able to offer something besides the gaming experience on the long run and that may be completely overshadowed by the Wii successor, don't you people think so? Of course, the Xbox360 could have a similar future as the PS3 with all it's features. Who knows? Let us just wait and see.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Wyrdness said:

Keep telling yourself that it may just happen, I'm a PS3 owner as well and quite frankly I'll stick with reality, a lot of users are saying they have the tech yet why is the PS3 being destroyed by the Wii when DQX arrives that will be the PS3s death warrant signed in Japan a region which supplied the PS2 with 20m+ sales to add further injury to the unbeatable force the Wii is in the west, the big franchises MGS, FF and so on have barely moved the competition or troubled them, each price drop only instigates a sales spike over two or so weeks before things return to normal so what next?  Two more price cuts aren't going to make the PS3 sell 20m a year unless they drop the price down to £/$1.00, it won't crack 100m as the momentum the PS2 had being the console to get with no alternatives to it's library isn't there for the PS3 I can see it outselling the 360 and reaching PSP numbers. The consumers have all jumped on the Wii and the 360 has provided a worthy alternative to the PS3 something the PS1/2 didn't have (although the N64 is still one of the best consoles ever made).

LMFAO

Wont even waste my time on you. 

Viper1 said:
I don't get the HDTV point. Are you telling me that there are millions of people waiting to get an HDTV BEFORE they buy a PS3? Seriously, I'm trying to find the logic in it. Who are these people not buying the console they want until AFTER they buy a new TV?

People that will buy them selfs a BR player and their kids a video game system, once you have a hdtv PS3 is a great buy for everyone.