By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst predicts 127m PS3 sales

Just to put things into their (hilarious) perspective.

The PS3 would need to sell at it's current level (with the higher sales during christmas balancing out the fact that all console's sales decline after a point) for 457 more weeks (8.79 years)

The Wii would need to sell at it's current level (with the higher sales during christmas balancing out the fact that all console's sales decline after a point) for 125 more weeks (2.4 years)

Around the Network

I'm no PS3 fan, but I think PS3 will actually sell 100 million+. I believe in much longer generation than normal. PS3 system sales will peak Fall 2011. It will sell 30 million AFTER 2012.

For Wii sales to become that low, Wii HD must be released within 2011.

so if there's potential for the system to sell 4x its current total at this point, then a safe analysis would be 240mil Wii units.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

scottie said:
Just to put things into their (hilarious) perspective.

The PS3 would need to sell at it's current level (with the higher sales during christmas balancing out the fact that all console's sales decline after a point) for 457 more weeks (8.79 years)

The Wii would need to sell at it's current level (with the higher sales during christmas balancing out the fact that all console's sales decline after a point) for 125 more weeks (2.4 years)

- Or maybe just maybe they have just barely enough brains to predit that sales will grow.  But no a produst that still is $300 will not sale more when it is $200, there is no past precident for that. 

- also Fact not one console has ever launched at as high a price point and done as well, it may be a long long time before PS3 sales actually start declining.  Especially given its current price point and potential for many future price cuts.

Those touting the 10 year strategy to back up this amusing prediction I think you need to take into account PS1/2 were market leaders by a huge margin, look at the PSP for one they can keep it on the market for 10 years but I doubt it'll even see 90m at this rate, Sony can keep the PS3 on the market for 10 years but by not being market leader don't expect the same sales its predecessors had. My opinion of this prediction is that it's not going to happen and just someone's wishful thinking.

Around the Network

I think Sony can do it and it can compete with next generation Xbox and Wii. PS3 has all the technology which WII and Xbox will try to add. Wii will add HD and maybe 3D, XBox will add 3D and both will have to agree on a new media format (can be blu-ray or digitial download and doubt it will be the later). PS3 already has motion control also.

So all in all, PS3 already has all the features which the other consoles will be trying to add and it will be way too cheaper to buy than xbox and wii.

Wyrdness said:
Those touting the 10 year strategy to back up this amusing prediction I think you need to take into account PS1/2 were market leaders by a huge margin, look at the PSP for one they can keep it on the market for 10 years but I doubt it'll even see 90m at this rate, Sony can keep the PS3 on the market for 10 years but by not being market leader don't expect the same sales its predecessors had. My opinion of this prediction is that it's not going to happen and just someone's wishful thinking.

Or some one looking at events with open eyes.

- PS3 sales increase every time price drops.
- It could end up doing near 20m in a year.
- For sure PS3 has atleast 1 more sales increasing price drop if not two.

It does not need the 10 years to crack 100 Million, it will most likely do it in 6/7. 

Was the analyst Crazzyman or MikeB by any chance? For the record I do not see the PS3 selling more than 70 million this generation.

MikeB and Crazzyman apparently predicted the PS3 would sell up to 140 million consoles this generation. So they have reduced their prediction by 13 million.

MikeB or Crazzyman could be the same person.

The only barely reasonable explanation for this analisys I can think of - PS3 is so "futureproof" it can last for couple of generations. Why can't X360 do the same then? Can't see a big difference between these machines.

//I guess, I never realized how big is "amount of technology, graphics and potential" PS3 has, so it can last forever ^_^

The PS3 would have to sell for 15 or 20 years to be able to reach 127 million. As soon as a new generation starts the sales of these superseded older systems will plummet regardless of what price they are selling for on the market. Consumers demand the latest and greatest technology.

2013: $150 for a PS3 or $300 for a PS4?