By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Synching trophies, why?

Tridrakious said:
WarmachineX said:
Tridrakious said:

Unlike with Xbox Live. If you're not care the achievements you unlock offline might get erased when you go online.

I dont know where  you get your info on XBL but I have never heard of anyone losing their achievements this way. MS makes sure everything you earn is synced in several areas so there is no chance of this happening; and if for some reason it did, they would fix it. Plus, this discussion  is not  about XBL so leave that for another topic.

It happened with me. That's where I got my info.

I unlocked every achievement from Phantasy Star Universe and when I went online. Xbox Live erased them.

but that has nothing to do with automatic syncing. It has more to do with faulty syncing. The difference between you pressing a button, and the system pressing a button for you is nothing in terms of reliability, but makes a big difference in usability.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I'm likely one in very few, but that absolutely pissed me off.

PSU sucks as badly. I played it for the easy achievements. Then when I went online XBL erased them.

PISSED ME OFF SO BADLY!!!!!

This is off topic but, can you change the sound it makes when trophies unlock, or any sounds for that matter? Like custom sounds?

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Sharky54 said:
twesterm said:
Alic0004 said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
twesterm, you dont have a single platinum, have less than 10 golds and not even 20 silvers...You dont happen to be a "trophy whore". Just sync every single trophy when you get them by accessing the in-game XMB and going to your profile.
It will become a habit.

You've gotta admit though, that sounds pretty lame when it could just do it invisibly without user input.  It's not a big thing that affects the quality of the PS3-owning experience, it's just a little annoyance that it's good to bug Sony about.

To me, one of the the annoying things about Sony's basic style from a design perspective, is their tendency to always do things their own way, and not pay attention to all the constantly changing little evolutions and automizations which people come to expect from technology.  They always feel like they're a little bit behind in some of the details.

That's just my perception of it, anyway.  We should be able to have a conversation among tech/video game geeks without everyone donning their colors and turning it into a console war brawl, right?

That would be nice but I guess the moment you say something negative about anything related to Sony I guess you're automatically a fanboy moron even though I praised Heavy Rain despite my hate for QTE's.  I guess it's more fun though to ignore anything anyone says and just call them a fanboy though.

Anyways, yeah, you're pretty right that they do things their way.  I'm sure by manually synching trophies that saves them server strain which I'm sure makes sense on their side, not-so-much on our side.

Do you really want me to sit here and go through every single post you have ever made and post every single sony hating post? I will if thats what you want. Oh wow you enjoyed a game! Big deal. You still complain to much.

Sure, if you really feel like that's a good use of your time.   I'm sure you're just itching to point out the I hate Kratos thread because that somehow proves my hate for Sony even though it has nothing to do with Sony or the PS3 but then there's also the thread asking for advice on what a friend should get.

If I was a true fanboy, wouldn't I just let my true fanboy colors show and tell her to get a 360 and not a PS3?

Really, just leave the thread because you're doing nothing for it other than trying to prove I'm a fanboy.  I honestly don't know why you're not banned yet.  If you don't like my complaining, don't enter my threads.  You would think that would be a simple concept.

As it stands, it's an annoyance that the PS3 doesn't auto-synch your trophies.  It isn't anything major and not something that should deter anyone from buying a PS3, but an annoyance is an annoyance and an internet forum is a great place to air those annoyances!  If you don't let it, just don't reply and the thread will sink down with all the other threads that don't get replies.  All you're doing is needlessly bumping the thread making it even more visible.

Your only two options should be either 1) actually contribute (you don't even have to agree, just contribute!) or 2) if you think the thread is somehow a violation, report it and move on.

You have to love simple concepts.

nordlead said:
Tridrakious said:
WarmachineX said:
Tridrakious said:

Unlike with Xbox Live. If you're not care the achievements you unlock offline might get erased when you go online.

I dont know where  you get your info on XBL but I have never heard of anyone losing their achievements this way. MS makes sure everything you earn is synced in several areas so there is no chance of this happening; and if for some reason it did, they would fix it. Plus, this discussion  is not  about XBL so leave that for another topic.

It happened with me. That's where I got my info.

I unlocked every achievement from Phantasy Star Universe and when I went online. Xbox Live erased them.

but that has nothing to do with automatic syncing. It has more to do with faulty syncing. The difference between you pressing a button, and the system pressing a button for you is nothing in terms of reliability, but makes a big difference in usability.

I didn't do anything, but go online with my 360. When I went online the achievements weren't there. I checked xbox.com to see if i could find answers and I read that i needed to recover my gametag.

I said that wouldn't solve anything, but people insisted, so I did it. and now I don't have them at all.

Around the Network
Tridrakious said:
twesterm said:

So now that I'm actually getting trophies again thanks to Heavy Rain, I forgot the synching woes.  It's not that synching is in any difficult, it's just it's never on my mind until my PS3 is already.

So why do we even have to synch in the first place?

I don't really understand how we can have the PS3 automatically update Facebook when we get a trophy but somehow automatically synching trophies is just too far beyind their realm of comprehension.  I don't really care if they still had to be synched somehow, it would be *awesome* if they could just automatically synch when I turn my PS3 on, or connect to the PSN, or turn on a game, or exit a game.

There's really no good reason we still have to manually synch trophies.

-edit-

NOTE-- I don't care if you don't care about trophies. If you don't care about trophies you shouldn't care about this thread and just kindly leave thank you.

For someone who seems to have such a distaste of Sony and the PS3, I don't see why you have one.

The trophy syncing is a safe way to make sure you don't lose trophies you've gained. Every trophy gets unlocked without connection to the PSN server. Then you update the server with your trophies.

I don't believe that is right. 

You can unlock achievements offline and as soon as you connect they will synch up.  Reading your later posts what you experienced was simply a bug.  I don't know if it was achievements or Phantasy Star, though I assume Phantasy Star since I've never heard of that happening.  I'm sure there are some official Phantasy Star forums somewhere you can follow that up with.

nordlead said:
I'm chalking this up with the Clock/controller power issue.

Sony made a mistake that was stupid and minor in the grand scheme of things and very easy to fix. Twesterm (and people like me) complain about them, and then the Sony peoples come into the thread bashing the thread creator, praise Sony, and tell you that you are too lazy. I mean heck, we had to work two jobs just to afford a PS3, pressing the sync button is a lot easier than a second job, so therefore we are lazy.

@twesterm

I almost think you can program the Harmony Remote to perform a set of button presses on power down that would sync your trophies. I'll have to check it out later tonight as I was configuring my remote this morning, but haven't gotten to programming it yet so I'll add a little test button.

Hmm, that could be interesting to try, I'll check it out later tonight if it's still on my mind.  I've never tried programming multiple button presses to one button and I don't know if I could make that an actual activity. 

Of course there's still the problem of I have to remember to do that while my PS3 is still on.  :-/

Oh! And about that BlueRay problem I had a while back, I can select Play and Play from Beginning and they both send me straight back to the beginning (or at least it did with District 9).

Well like I said I'm likely one in a few that experience it, but it did happen.

Unlike with PSN where I haven't lost a single trophy.

twesterm said:
nordlead said:
I'm chalking this up with the Clock/controller power issue.

Sony made a mistake that was stupid and minor in the grand scheme of things and very easy to fix. Twesterm (and people like me) complain about them, and then the Sony peoples come into the thread bashing the thread creator, praise Sony, and tell you that you are too lazy. I mean heck, we had to work two jobs just to afford a PS3, pressing the sync button is a lot easier than a second job, so therefore we are lazy.

@twesterm

I almost think you can program the Harmony Remote to perform a set of button presses on power down that would sync your trophies. I'll have to check it out later tonight as I was configuring my remote this morning, but haven't gotten to programming it yet so I'll add a little test button.

Hmm, that could be interesting to try, I'll check it out later tonight if it's still on my mind.  I've never tried programming multiple button presses to one button and I don't know if I could make that an actual activity. 

Of course there's still the problem of I have to remember to do that while my PS3 is still on.  :-/

Oh! And about that BlueRay problem I had a while back, I can select Play and Play from Beginning and they both send me straight back to the beginning (or at least it did with District 9).

For every activity there is a power-on, and a power-off sequence that you can modify. I haven't played with it myself, but that is what I'm thinking about. That would also mean you don't have to think about it at all, just hit the off button. Obviously mapping a button would just be for test to make sure it is done right as custom buttons seem easier to setup than power-off sequences.

I also tried the Play & Play from Beginning on Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and it too started from the beginning. I think everyone is lieing to us >_>

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Autosynching would be nice but it's now become second nature to me to synch them before I shut off. Not sure why this hasn't been added or an option to "turn off this machine once back up is complete." Those are 2 simple things that I would like a lot.

Tridrakious said:
Well like I said I'm likely one in a few that experience it, but it did happen.

Unlike with PSN where I haven't lost a single trophy.

I believe that it happened, but it's just a bug and probably a Phantasy Star one.  If it were a general achievement bug there would be much more buzz about it but since Phantasy Star isn't that big of a game on the 360 anyways it makes sense that it would be the problem with that since there hasn't been a giant shit storm about it.

There is of course the potential to lose any achievement information if you're offline, but there's nothing you can do about that and trophies have the same exact problem.  Synching in no way fixes that and in fact it's something you can't really fix unless a console is always online.  Actually, I would say the 360 actually has less of a chance of you losing achievement/trophy information since achievement information gets sent immediately if you're online while trophies wait for you to sync.

But anyways, completely off topic!