By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Something is going down between Infinty Ward and Activision

It doesn't fit a SEC action, but maybe Activision wanted IW to make MW3 while IW heads wanted to move on to something else (?) Or it's the subscription thing.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network

You know, it really sucks that Blizzard merged with these fucksticks.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

Can't imagine what would happen if Blizzard went byebye. (I'm rather sure those guys are insanely strongly positioned against Activision.)

papflesje said:
NJ5 said:

Can't imagine what would happen if Blizzard went byebye. (I'm rather sure those guys are insanely strongly positioned against Activision.)

I'd imagine Blizzard would be OK. Vivendi own both Activision and Blizard, so Activision won't have any direct sway over them.

Although I find it weird they're showing their muscle (admitted, don't know the entire situation). Do they own the IP? (if so, they can squeeze the franchise, with or without IW).

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
red_dragon said:
Not a stunt when Activision got the SEC involved. This is going to end up in court. I think that Activision wanted to do the subscription based COD and Infinity Ward heads said no and they got fired for that and probably going sued for breach of contract.

I'm thinking it might involve that as well.  Kotick has mentioned numerous times wanting to take Call of Duty in a pay-to-play direction/

This gets my vote.  Activision clearly want to milk CoD to the max, and with approaches beyond what IW want for "their" franchise.  IW comments have given me the impression they don't like the Zombie elements in World at War, nor trying to take the franchise to Wii, plus they don't seem keen on any form of 'pay to play'.

I think we're seeing a real big business vs the developer bust up going down.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
makingmusic476 said:
red_dragon said:
Not a stunt when Activision got the SEC involved. This is going to end up in court. I think that Activision wanted to do the subscription based COD and Infinity Ward heads said no and they got fired for that and probably going sued for breach of contract.

I'm thinking it might involve that as well.  Kotick has mentioned numerous times wanting to take Call of Duty in a pay-to-play direction/

This gets my vote.  Activision clearly want to milk CoD to the max, and with approaches beyond what IW want for "their" franchise.  IW comments have given me the impression they don't like the Zombie elements in World at War, nor trying to take the franchise to Wii, plus they don't seem keen on any form of 'pay to play'.

Yeah... that's probably not far from what happened. However, does Activision believe that they can keep IW devs after this, and making games with the same quality? Sometimes when the big guy goes, others follow.

If this makes IW disappear or become much less skilled, it could be big trouble for Activision (which is already facing trouble from over-milking the Guitar Hero franchise).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

makingmusic476 said:
red_dragon said:

pay to play would never work for them because People would migrate to BF or Halo or something else

NJ5 said:
Reasonable said:
makingmusic476 said:
red_dragon said:

Yeah... that's probably not far from what happened. However, does Activision believe that they can keep IW devs after this, and making games with the same quality? Sometimes when the big guy goes, others follow.

If this makes IW disappear or become much less skilled, it could be big trouble for Activision (which is already facing trouble from over-milking the Guitar Hero franchise).

I think there's a good chance of that - and it wouldn't upset me in the least.

Activision would milk the franchise into the ground if it did, pumping of MW / WaW spinoffs until it wasn't profitable, while ideally the core talent behind CoD and MW would setup somewhere else and produce something new and interesting.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Maybe it's better that the IW crew get out from under Activision. If Activision seriously thinks it can cut the head off a snake as large as IW and expect the same quality of games afterward, the company is simply mistaken. Activision may have the MW name, but that will lose steam quickly if the quality slips (just look at the Guitar Hero franchise). Apparently, ActiBlizzard isn't happy being the largest publisher and raking in tons of dough with WoW; the company needs a new cash cow. Personally, I hope there is a mass exodus and IW's crew finds a new publisher.