By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Something is going down between Infinty Ward and Activision

In 2011, Activision will release another new Call of Duty game from Sledgehammer Games, the recently formed studio lead by Dead Space creative leads Glen A. Schofield and Michael Condrey. The title will "extend the franchise into the action-adventure genre."

This could be cool...

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

According to kotaku, 68% of Activision-Blizzard's revenue comes from COD, GH and WoW.

http://kotaku.com/5483798/guess-which-three-games-help-keep-activision-afloat

it's not like they dropped cod though. They actually just cut out the dev and kept all the money...

red_dragon said:
Sam Kennedy from 1up is saying that Infinty Ward and Activision had problems for a while now and it looks it's coming to an end (Activision gutting the company).

Hopefully there is still a strong market for videogames after all this is said and done.  Activision gutting the company is not a good sign.

huaxiong90 said:
Kantor said:
2nd March 2010: The day Activision began the slow march into bankruptcy...

Hope so. Maybe then Mr. Kotick will learn to balance his thinking between a gamer's perspective and a business perspective.

What is his business if he doesn't put the gamer first?  The gamer IS his business!

Tanstalas said:
In 2011, Activision will release another new Call of Duty game from Sledgehammer Games, the recently formed studio lead by Dead Space creative leads Glen A. Schofield and Michael Condrey. The title will "extend the franchise into the action-adventure genre."

This could be cool...

And that direction may end up being why the break up happened.

Around the Network

Well so long Infinity Ward, now we're stuck with Treyarch. I don't like them but they make their games seem more War-ish than the MW2 sneaking and stabbing.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

http://www.bingegamer.net/2010/infinity-ward-has-not-received-royalties-for-modern-warfare-2/

Pretty good article

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

theprof00 said:
NJ5 said:

According to kotaku, 68% of Activision-Blizzard's revenue comes from COD, GH and WoW.

http://kotaku.com/5483798/guess-which-three-games-help-keep-activision-afloat

it's not like they dropped cod though. They actually just cut out the dev and kept all the money...

Revenue is an ongoing thing, they can't "keep it". Yeah they kept the brand, but the brand may not generate as much sales in the future due to these events at IW.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

To throw more fuel to this fire, did you'll see this:

Kotick and his goon really are some idiots...I don't thnik these two are going to co-exist much longer...or maybe I'm jsut hopeful that they don't. Blizzard's managment is evidently strong as ever, since they are easily able to block off, what I'm sure are numberous, attempts by Kotick's goons to console-ize their games.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/02/activision-report-lists-world-of-warcraft-as-a-risk-factor/

If there's anything that all the chaos between Activision and Infinity Ward in the past 24 hours has taught us, it's that no one is safe and dry under Bobby Kotick's umbrella. And while Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was one of Activision's biggest earners, that hasn't stopped the company from revamping the brand however it sees fit. So what about Activision's other big game, Blizzard's World of Warcraft? The same annual report released to the SEC yesterday that kicked off the Infinity Ward shakeup also mentions that Activision is worried about WoW becoming "obsolete," and that the regulatory issues in China could affect the entire company's bottom line.

So will we hear about Mike Morhaime being frogmarched off of the Blizzard campus? Not likely -- the fears about WoW are all in a section of the report labeled "Risk Factors," in which a company must disclose anything that could possibly go wrong with its financials in the future, just in case. In there, Activision worries about everything from credit card fraud to its ESRB ratings -- WoW is mentioned a lot because it makes up most of the revenue (in fact, one of the worries is that Activision depends on WoW too much), but these are all worst case scenario guesses. The report admits that Blizzard did decrease its net revenues last year, but then credits that to no new releases in 2009 and interrupted licensing fees from China. Assuming Blizzard releases both Starcraft II and Cataclysm as planned in 2010, the odds are low that Activision will raise the axe in that direction.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

richardhutnik said:
huaxiong90 said:
Kantor said:
2nd March 2010: The day Activision began the slow march into bankruptcy...

Hope so. Maybe then Mr. Kotick will learn to balance his thinking between a gamer's perspective and a business perspective.

What is his business if he doesn't put the gamer first?  The gamer IS his business!

I meant Bobby Kotick himself. As gamasutra (or was it Arstechnica? I don't know) said, "Mr. Kotick doesn't play his games."

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!