By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - DO NOT TURN ON YOUR FAT PS3 - date bug is majorly screwing up systems

Linkzmax said:
If there's no firmware update within the next 24 hours, I wonder what the date will be tomorrow. Shall we take bets?

Also, I thought it was funny that the warning was essentially "Don't use your PS3 or you won't be able to use your PS3!"

Im wandering the same thing. It simply decided to step 10 years and 2 months in the future by himself lol.

Around the Network

In the Date and time options in the XMB you can set automatically the date and time by means of internet connection. Now that functions properly (you couldn't do that while the bug was present)

Once again, Chrono, Luca, Marle, Frog (Glenn), Ayla, Robo, and Magus (optional) saved the world from the Day of Lavos (1999).

Thank you, brave heroes!

You guys probably all set your clocks forward from 12/31/99 to 3/1/10 after the bug hit you. That span of time is ten years and three months. So you set your clock forward ten years and three months. Then, when your system clock suddenly came back on the map and was readable by the PS3 OS, it started adding those same ten years and three months you told it to add to a date from 2010 which it actually knew how to interpret, resulting in the sum of those two dates being 4/29/20.

Basically, all the OS clock is, is a number that you either add or subtract from the system clock to make it into the exact right time. When you set the time on the OS clock, you're changing that number, but you're not affecting the system clock, which continues to tick on and on unless its battery dies.

d21lewis said:
Once again, Chrono, Luca, Marle, Frog (Glenn), Ayla, Robo, and Magus (optional) saved the world from the Day of Lavos (1999).

Thank you, brave heroes!

Chrono sequel confirmed?

SE is really going overboard with their PR stunts these days...

Around the Network
chubaca said:
In the Date and time options in the XMB you can set automatically the date and time by means of internet connection. Now that functions properly (you couldn't do that while the bug was present)

The reason why it wasnt working yesterday is because it needs to connect to PSN to get the date. Since now we can connect to PSN properly, its possible to sync time with their server using the option to do so in the PS3 XMB.

Alic0004 said:
You guys probably all set your clocks forward from 12/31/99 to 3/1/10 after the bug hit you. That span of time is ten years and three months. So you set your clock forward ten years and three months. Then, when your system clock suddenly came back on the map and was readable by the PS3 OS, it started adding those same ten years and three months you told it to add to a date from 2010 which it actually knew how to interpret, resulting in the sum of those two dates being 4/29/20.

Basically, all the OS clock is, is a number that you either add or subtract from the system clock to make it into the exact right time. When you set the time on the OS clock, you're changing that number, but you're not affecting the system clock, which continues to tick on and on unless its battery dies.

Hey man, thats really intelligent there. It seems like it is exactly whats going on.

I just turned on my phat 80 gb PS3 and it fine, no thophies or data lost.   Thanks for the warning.  I decided to wait it out until Sony sorted out the problems.

already did already ruined.

lol at certain fanboys who wanted this to fail, how miserable they are, i feel sorry for them.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...