By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone 2 Has 72% More Head Polygon Count than Halo: Reach

Note (  please note that i did not post this to start     system war  i  just saw this on N4g so i thought i would post it    this is not  ment to start anything so  please note that)

Killzone 2 Has 72% More Head Polygon Count than Halo: Reach   

http://www.split-screen.com/2010/02/28/killzone-2-has-72-more-head-polygon-count-than-halo-reach/

Filed under: Gaming News and Reportage

No Responses

There have been numerous visual comparisons between Bungie’s upcoming Halo: Reach and Guerrilla Games’ Killzone 2. Now it’s time to let the numbers do the talking and tell you for real which game looks better.

Victor Zuylen over at Killzone.com posted as far back as 2008 about the evolution of Rico Velasquez, an ISA sergeant in Killzone 2. He talks about the exact amount of design changes and rendering Rico underwent, before the final Killzone 2 version was done. His article contained this statement:

“Rico’s new, close-cropped head is comprised of over 4600 polygons, whereas in Killzone 1 it consisted of only 1800 polygons.”

We did some snooping and discovered some 3D character art by Gary Huang for Bungie’s Halo: Reach, which he’s been working on since January 2010 – and they look exactly like the same renders for the futuristic foot soldiers that Bungie has put up online as being featured in Reach. The head’s polygon count? A mere 1300 for the “hi-res” model. As added proof, the hi-res pictures are named “Ingame” and “realtime”, showing that they are indeed the models used in Halo: Reach.

Doing a rough calculation, it seems Killzone 2’s head polygon count for Rico, with no helmet or visor, is roughly about 72% more than the number of polygons for the Reach’s futuristic soldier – that’s a difference of about 3300 polygons. Factoring in total body polygon count may bring the percentage difference down, but not by very much given the amount of detailing models in Killzone 2 carry compared to Reach. It actually seems that even Killzone 1 has a higher head polygon count than Reach, with 1800 to 1300.

You can view Huang’s concept art below and Rico’s final head model for Killzone 1 and 2.

Around the Network

Killzone 2 released a year ago.

Halo Reach isn't releasing for a long time.

That is all.

Wait until the start to release Killzone 3 screens.

Carl2291 said:

That is all.

7 months is a long time? News to me.

OT: Are those the final Polygon counts for Halo: Reach?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

not sure why this matters o_O; anybody want to explain this to me?

Around the Network

It matters because selnor keeps saying halo reach is the most technicle game ever released by mankind.

mM

This is ridiculous.

It's comparing two games with two completely different design approaches.

Killzone 2 was built to look graphically stunning. They spent years working on an engine that could live up to the lofty visuals set down by the 05' trailer. They succeded in creating one of, if not the best looking game on any console ever. Though with the cost of co-op/splitscreen remaining absent.

Halo: Reach; providing it follows the pattern of it's predecessors, will be built not as a graphical showcase, but will have it's engine designed around getting large open areas and tons of AI on-screen with splitscreen co-op.

Both games would look entirely different if they adopted the approach of the other.

Ummmm first of all considering that they are trying to use "facts" not even from Bungie thats one of the dumbest things ive ever read. Are you posting this as a joke thread or trying to be serious? I really can't tell to be honest.

huaxiong90 said:
Carl2291 said:

That is all.

7 months is a long time? News to me.

OT: Are those the final Polygon counts for Halo: Reach?

It is when that 7 months can be used to up the graphics.

Plus, something else to note -

Halo Reach has split screen co-op. Killzone 2 doesn't.

Create this thread once halo reach is released. Other than that, go back to your bridge.