By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo missed a major opportunity

This article is amazing,

Literally, I can Iwata laughing from here.

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
miz1q2w3e said:
^^ "gaming" doesn't, movies however would be pretty cool if they were interatcive like this

You can take your trolling elsewhere, would VGC have given it 9.1 if it wasn't a good game?

please don't call me a troll

i wasn't saying that it wasn't good, i haven't even played the game. i was just commenting on the blogger/writer person saying gaming "needs" titles like that, why does gaming NEED titles like Heavy Rain?

that's all i was i was saying in my first post, then i said it would be cool if movies were more like that... don't get that mixed up with trolling, and don't accuse people of trolling with nothing to back it up

miz1q2w3e said:
Rainbird said:
miz1q2w3e said:
^^ "gaming" doesn't, movies however would be pretty cool if they were interatcive like this

You can take your trolling elsewhere, would VGC have given it 9.1 if it wasn't a good game?

i wasn't saying that it wasn't good, i haven't even played the game. i was just commenting on the blogger/writer person saying gaming "needs" titles like that, why does gaming NEED titles like Heavy Rain?

that's all i was i was saying in my first post, then i said it would be cool if movies were more like that... don't get that mixed up with trolling, and don't accuse people of trolling with nothing to back it up

The way you worded things at first sounded as if you were refusing to acknowledge Heavy Rain as a game, which IS trolling. The OP probably meant different kind of games. I don't agree with the OP either, but such comments aren't necessary.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

^^ well then im sorry you misunderstood my post

miz1q2w3e said:
Rainbird said:
miz1q2w3e said:

Your comment was insinuating that Heavy Rain belongs more in the movie realm than the gaming realm, that's what I interpret as trolling. I'm sorry if my comment was too forward, but I'm a little sensitive to anyone who complains over Heavy Rain, especially someone who doesn't look to have played it.

And gaming needs Heavy Rain, because it shows that games can handle mature themes in a mature way. It's a game that shows that you can have a game that appeals to adults, not because it's scary, not because people of violence and not because of it showing some skin, but because it is actually a mature game.

Heavy Rain isn't perfect, but it tells a damn good story, and it tells it damn well too, unlike 95% of all other singleplayer games out there. And unlike any game before it, the choices you make in Heavy Rain are actually meaningful, not like the good/bad choices we saw in Bioshock or inFamous.

From a story telling viewpoint, Heavy Rain is absolutely something that games need.

EDIT: Just read your last reply, I'm sorry for calling you out for trolling when that was not your intention

Around the Network

It's amazing. The Wii is still outselling the PS3 3:2, thus increasing the gap between the two rapidly, and suddenly Sony is on the verge of overtaking Nintendo? Is this supposed to be a joke? The PS3 hasn't even begun to catch up yet and it's really just riding high on the pricecut. They can't afford another pricecut* and the Arc will be a poorly supported wiimote rip-off. How are they ever going to get the momentum up to even stop the bleeding, let alone start gaining ground?

*I say this as a person who believed without a doubt Sony WOULD cut to $300 in 2009 even as far back as 2008.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I don't think the big N is losing any sleep over it. I'm sure they're researching a Wii sucsessor but I dount they'll announce it any-time soon. The Wii is still selling bucket-loads, if they announce a HD version too early then people will stop buying Wii's untill the HD version comes out. FYI even if Nintendo stopped selling Wii's today, it would STILL take about 3 years for the competition to catch up. Nintendo hasn't missed an opportunity, they know exactly what they're doing.

The dude abides   

@Rainbird: no problem :p

why are we even discussing what some random blogger happened to post? looking at some of his other post i can see how we are likely overestimating this guy's integrity as well as his mental capacity

"Heavy Rain is a glimpse at what the future of gaming holds."

Heck NO. Heavy Rain is the worst thing that happened to games. We don't need games where you play boring real life attributes. We don't need games where all you do is press buttons as they appear on the screen. We don't need games with piss poor stories pawning themselves off as "revolutionary."

Rainbird said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Rainbird said:
miz1q2w3e said:

Your comment was insinuating that Heavy Rain belongs more in the movie realm than the gaming realm, that's what I interpret as trolling. I'm sorry if my comment was too forward, but I'm a little sensitive to anyone who complains over Heavy Rain, especially someone who doesn't look to have played it.

And gaming needs Heavy Rain, because it shows that games can handle mature themes in a mature way. It's a game that shows that you can have a game that appeals to adults, not because it's scary, not because people of violence and not because of it showing some skin, but because it is actually a mature game.

Heavy Rain isn't perfect, but it tells a damn good story, and it tells it damn well too, unlike 95% of all other singleplayer games out there. And unlike any game before it, the choices you make in Heavy Rain are actually meaningful, not like the good/bad choices we saw in Bioshock or inFamous.

From a story telling viewpoint, Heavy Rain is absolutely something that games need.

EDIT: Just read your last reply, I'm sorry for calling you out for trolling when that was not your intention

I don't see how he was trolling at all.  Back in the 90s some companinies actually experiemented with making interactive movies.  They'd get to a turning point in the story and the audience pressed a button corresponding to a given reaction, with the most popular choice winning out.  This went on in theaters, not on home consoles (okay, I'm sure they tried, but they were terribly bad and on terribly bad cd-based systems to boot).

Really, though, the game tip-toes along the dividing line between the two.  All of the mature themes you identify could have been handled in the same engine as Halo or Gears of War or even Mario Galaxy.  The story could have been told with any sort of gameplay as well.  They chose to take on the least interactive form of gameplay they could, and that decision should rightly be pointed out for what it is.  HR is an interactive movie, part game and part movie but really not an outstanding example of either despite being an outstanding example of what a hybrid between the two could be.

You do not have the right to never be offended.