By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo missed a major opportunity

Nintendo missed a major opportunity

Nintendo’s media summit this week was heralded by speculations that new hardware would be unveiled at the event, but all we got were release dates and more information of soon to be released games. No news about a DS successor and more importantly, no announcements regarding an update to their current home console, the Wii.

Ever since the introduction of the Slim and the corresponding price drop to $299, the PS3 has picked up incredible momentum. In fact, the PS3 is selling so well that shortages seem to be imminent in the coming months. It’s becoming more apparent that the PS3’s technological advantage will pay off in the long run.

Looks better than real life.

Add the fact that we are only about 25 to 30 % into this generation and you can see that it is a necessity for Nintendo to introduce an HD version of the Wii in order to stay competitive. Now more than ever, because both HD consoles are approaching the Wii’s price range and additionally, Sony and Microsoft will be introducing their motion controllers this year which will render all of Nintendo’s previous advantages irrelevant.

Nintendo has to act fast if they want to stay on top. Unfortunately, this time they missed the opportunity to preemptively announce counter measures like they did at E3 2008 where they presented Wii Motion Plus to show that they take the competition serious. Today it looks like Nintendo is resting on its laurels and is content with what the company has achieved in the past few years. Is gaming really only about simple games that everyone can play?

Gaming needs titles like Heavy Rain.

Heavy Rain is a glimpse at what the future of gaming holds. Gamers have grown up, so it’s time that games do as well and deal with serious issues instead of taking place in imaginery fantasy worlds. We’ve been jumping on Goombas and Koopas for 25 years now, it’s time to move on and change an infant’s diaper, feed her and put her to bed.

The Wii is definitely facing some serious trouble in the near future, the question is what will Nintendo do? Another price cut like an analyst suggested seems to be the most obvious conclusion seeing that Nintendo has neither the hardware nor the software to compete with Sony and Microsoft in the latter half of this generation.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

I'm sure the Wii will still end this console generation at first place, Nintendo doesn't have much to worry about, YET.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

"Gaming needs titles like Heavy Rain"

no it doesn't

Wait, this is a joke right? I'm pretty sure it is, but just in case...

Simply tacking on motion controls will not give the HD consoles Wii like success.. It is not the motion controller that makes the Wii so successful, but rather the type of games for the console and the ideology behind them. Accessibility is the key word, and making the games appeal to as many as possible, as well as exploring new frontiers in gaming. These are things the HD consoles largely don't touch.

Making an HD Wii now, or anytime soon, would be a disasterous business move and essentially end the Wii's success prematurely.

This article will be flamed to hell, but it has a point. The longer this gen continues, especially once sony and ms release motion control devices, the harder it will be for wii.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network

oh no wii is doomed! Again. This generatio will end in 2012 when wii 2 comes out really.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

miz1q2w3e said:
"Gaming needs titles like Heavy Rain"

no it doesn't

Yes it does. But that was almost the only thing I agreed with in the article

^^ "gaming" doesn't, movies however would be pretty cool if they were interatcive like this

I want to thank vaio for wasting my time on a 13 year old kid's wordpress blog.... >_<"

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Why do people keep posting useless blogs like this one on this forum?