By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo missed a major opportunity

killeryoshis said:
oh no wii is doomed! Again. This generatio will end in 2012 when wii 2 comes out really.

Then nintendo can be the new sony because the new generation begins when they say so :O

Around the Network

A Viewtiful Mind is a mastery of parody. Now the question is to wait for a legitimate source to come out and say pretty much the same thing, just seriously.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

huaxiong90 said:
atma998 said:
huaxiong90 said:
Smashchu2 said:
"Heavy Rain is a glimpse at what the future of gaming holds."

Heck NO. Heavy Rain is the worst thing that happened to games. We don't need games where you play boring real life attributes. We don't need games where all you do is press buttons as they appear on the screen. We don't need games with piss poor stories pawning themselves off as "revolutionary."

So what's your excuse for the good reviews?

If you haven't played the game, keep these silly comments to yourself.

Did you ever seen a game with the top graphics of its gen having bad reviews, even if the gameplay is bad and/or boring? I doesnt say Heavy Rain's gameplay is bad and/or boring but I'm just asking... As far as I know the critics are for the most part ''graphics whores''.

I understand that, and you have a point (Crysis, I'm looking at you, which I think is more of a 80's range game). But reading reviews on metacritic, most of them praise Heavy Rain's story and dialogue.

Like I said, I strongly disagree with the OP, but it is no excuse for some people here to moan like children and flame Heavy Rain with generalized/baseless bull****.

Did I talked about the story and dialogue of HR? I was talking about the most important consideration while playing a video game: gameplay. 

Smashchu2 said:
huaxiong90 said:
Smashchu2 said:

Heck NO. Heavy Rain is the worst thing that happened to games. We don't need games where you play boring real life attributes. We don't need games where all you do is press buttons as they appear on the screen. We don't need games with piss poor stories pawning themselves off as "revolutionary."

My excuse: People have horrible taste in games.

And I never need to play Heavy Rain. From what I've seen (like, the first two hours of the game), it's very linear and wether or not you press the buttons, the story chugs on. Heck, the player messed up a QTE to dodge a truck and still lived. There is no reason for me to ever have to play Heavy Rain and the movie I'm watching is a D movie at best with loads of plotholes and, bad themes, and with bad motion capture. I'd go out of my way and call it the worst game ever made. Heck, people could at least PLAY that bad E.T. game on the Atari. You can't play heavy Rain. QTE are an illusion of gameplay when you're really just watching the movie play out.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Your uneducated opinion on Heavy Rain holds little value compared to reviewers who actually played the game.

Play the game, then maybe your claims will hold some water.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

atma998 said:
huaxiong90 said:
atma998 said:
huaxiong90 said:
Smashchu2 said:

Did you ever seen a game with the top graphics of its gen having bad reviews, even if the gameplay is bad and/or boring? I doesnt say Heavy Rain's gameplay is bad and/or boring but I'm just asking... As far as I know the critics are for the most part ''graphics whores''.

I understand that, and you have a point (Crysis, I'm looking at you, which I think is more of a 80's range game). But reading reviews on metacritic, most of them praise Heavy Rain's story and dialogue.

Like I said, I strongly disagree with the OP, but it is no excuse for some people here to moan like children and flame Heavy Rain with generalized/baseless bull****.

Did I talked about the story and dialogue of HR? I was talking about the most important consideration while playing a video game: gameplay. 

Well about that, they said it may not be for everyone, even though they think it works well, and it was described as being a hybrid of both point and click and QTE. Interactive drama, basically. But it's still a game. That's my issue with some of the posters here, they're refusing to acknowledge it, just because some ignorant blogger made an outlandish claim.

Around the Network
atma998 said:
huaxiong90 said:
Smashchu2 said:

Lair was good for its time IMO.

huaxiong90 said:
atma998 said:
huaxiong90 said:
atma998 said:
huaxiong90 said:
Smashchu2 said:

Well about that, they said it may not be for everyone, even though they think it works well, and it was described as being a hybrid of both point and click and QTE. Interactive drama, basically. But it's still a game. That's my issue with some of the posters here, they're refusing to acknowledge it, just because some ignorant blogger made an outlandish claim.

Ok but then you have to accept that a lot of people won't like this game even if it's getting good reviews by critics. This is the pure definition of ''overrated'' critics.

atma998 said:
huaxiong90 said:
atma998 said:
huaxiong90 said:
atma998 said:
huaxiong90 said:
Smashchu2 said:

Ok but then you have to accept that a lot of people won't like this game even if it's getting good reviews by critics. This is the pure definition of ''overrated'' critics.

You see my friend, here's where my problem lies: They're just saying this as a means of supposedly getting back at the blogger, not because they played the game or even tried the demo.

"Gamers have grown up, so it’s time that games do as well and deal with serious issues instead of taking place in imaginery fantasy worlds."

WTF???????

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

ChichiriMuyo said:

Really, though, the game tip-toes along the dividing line between the two.  All of the mature themes you identify could have been handled in the same engine as Halo or Gears of War or even Mario Galaxy.  The story could have been told with any sort of gameplay as well.  They chose to take on the least interactive form of gameplay they could, and that decision should rightly be pointed out for what it is.  HR is an interactive movie, part game and part movie but really not an outstanding example of either despite being an outstanding example of what a hybrid between the two could be.

Indeed it does, it's the best example of a cinematic game experience to date. And yes, all of those themes could have been handled in other games, but you use a key word, "could". See, those games aren't doing anything like that. Heavy Rain is being praised for doing things in games that no one has ever done before, and your example is completely useless, because those games did nothing for storytelling, absolutely nothing! And the story could have been told with different gameplay, it would just have been a bad game.

No matter how you twist it, HR is a game. Yes, it certainly seems like an interactive movie at times, but you say that Quantic Dream chose to take on the least interactive form of gameplay. Name one game where the story is as interactive as it is in Heavy Rain. You may not be taking cover, shooting, changing stats, or driving cars, but that doesn't mean it isn't interactive. In fact, I'd argue that Heavy Rain is more interactive than most games on the market.

@ Smashchu2

Stop with the trolling, will you? You're talking like you think Heavy Rain does nothing for gaming, and spells doom for the games you like, when that is obviously not the case.