By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So who thought Sony was crazy when they said the PS3 will sell 13m for 2009

kowenicki said:
Gilgamesh said:
Bamboleo said:
Crazy?

Like 13 million is some sort of huge number?

A few of you people are confused by the OP and title of the thread. I don't mean 13 million is a insanely huge number I meant at the time it sounded a little far-fetched because the PS3 was selling so poorly. 

At the time this was announced it was around September, so from April 1st to September the PS3 had sold 2.2 million consoles in 5 months (Selling an average of about 100K a week), so in the next 7 months it had to sell 11 million more, so you see were I'm getting at now?

Also we didn't know about the price or about the Slim at the time this was announced.

you keep saying sold and selling...

the 13m was their shipping estimate not what we and others record as sold to consumers.

Okay okay but still if it's shipped at the most it'd be a million more then VG Chartz numbers. Hell they must have 13 million shipped by now, if anything there going to exceed that shipping estimate.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:
kowenicki said:
Gilgamesh said:
Bamboleo said:
Crazy?

Like 13 million is some sort of huge number?

A few of you people are confused by the OP and title of the thread. I don't mean 13 million is a insanely huge number I meant at the time it sounded a little far-fetched because the PS3 was selling so poorly. 

At the time this was announced it was around September, so from April 1st to September the PS3 had sold 2.2 million consoles in 5 months (Selling an average of about 100K a week), so in the next 7 months it had to sell 11 million more, so you see were I'm getting at now?

Also we didn't know about the price or about the Slim at the time this was announced.

you keep saying sold and selling...

the 13m was their shipping estimate not what we and others record as sold to consumers.

Okay okay but still if it's shipped at the most it'd be a million more then VG Chartz numbers. Hell they must have 13 million shipped by now, if anything there going to exceed that shipping estimate.

They may have difficulty exceeding their target if the shortages continue. You can't sell more units than you have manufactured and if their production is geared towards 13 million units then it will be it.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

kowenicki said:
well this is from jacobs last article on the subject...

Finally, Nintendo and Sony should have no issues reaching (+/- 5%) their revised forecasts of 30m DS (probably ~29m), 20m Wiis, 13m PS3s, 10m PSPs, 7m PS2s for the year ending March 2010. The Playstation software forecast of 200m across PSP + PS2 + PS3 is about right, while the 150m forecast for DS sw looks reasonable, as does the 192m forecast for Wii sw (the 192m includes Wii Sports). The original forecasts had been 30m DS, 26m Wii, 15m PSP, 13m PS3, and 5m PS2 alongside 240m Playstation games, 220m Wii games, and 180m DS games, so both companies have had a bit of trouble predicting the video game market lately

Yeh he wrote that like 2 weeks ago

joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:

Why are you talking about dollars? Im saying that in Europe the price has never been a factor because for the most part the price has always been as high as it was. Since price is removed as a factor then you have to look at the good work of the competition for the reasons why the PS3 performed poorly relative to the PS2 in that region.

Within 6 months of the PS2s launch there were a lot of shortages, within 6 months of the PS3s launch the price was too high. That doesn't make much difference in terms of overall demand for that region as one roughly counters the other and then the PS3 price drops and availability is no longer constrained so therefore extremely comparable.

The world doesn't revolve around the U.S. and the price of the Playstation there. Read the graph again and see that the PS3 falls behind the PS2 and price was never a factor. The Wii stole the Playstation market and ditto for the Xbox 360 to a lesser extent. The PS3 got schooled because the other consoles got appealing content and experiences out faster and more often in the first couple of years. It had nothing to do with the PS3 being too expensive.

No it does not ,but on the same token the US is not europe just like Europe is not the US you keep pointing out that Europe is the ACID TEST. why would the United states not be an Acid test also? it's all subjective.

And once again it's the percieved Value of the product @ Price I am not saying the percieved value had nothing to do with it vs' other system's out there, I am saying on a region by region basis PRICE had a big detriment to the sell of the system.

as an example:

singapore of $799.00 for the PS3 when it was first released.

Because price is not a factor in Europe. You can't say "PS3 didn't perform as well because the price was too high" because the price for the most part has been close to and either lower or higher than the historical PS2 price there. Price factor removed. It means you can look at other factors without running in circles saying the price was too high the price was too high...

Since the system launched later with quality content coming quicker then you can somewhat remove the lateness of some of the software as Uncharted 1 for example was only 6 months later and I believe Oblivion was a launch title. 

So therefore you can look at the difference between the PS2 and PS3 in Europe and say this rough percentage is the difference caused by competition and then anything greater than that in other regions you can say the difference is the price. 

So if the PS3 is 30% down in Europe and 50% down in the U.S. you can say that roughly 30% of the reduced sales of the PS3 relative to the PS2 was competitor actions and 20% was due to a higher launch price and higher price thereafter.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

The PS family has been on top for 15 years, I knew it was a matter of time, one thing Sony does on there consoles is look down the road, they put the absolut best technology in them, Even if they don't make profits in the first few years they know it will, When the others are bringing out new hardware Sony is not, and they will be making lots of profit. Also Sony owns more First party Developers then anyone else, there not spending a shit load of money to keep a game exclusive, there are just spending money on new IPs and New technology. They really are smart, Look how long they have stayed on top, no company is perfect, some times when you hang your balls out, they get larger or they dry out, mistakes can be good as long as you learn from them.

Around the Network
Hus said:
Not me, but I'm usually right on these things and 99% of you are dead wrong.

Weren't you the one saying that the PS3 would beat the Wii in Japan to 5 million vs. 10 million, and that the PS3 would never fall below Wii sales again?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Twistedpixel said:
joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:

Why are you talking about dollars? Im saying that in Europe the price has never been a factor because for the most part the price has always been as high as it was. Since price is removed as a factor then you have to look at the good work of the competition for the reasons why the PS3 performed poorly relative to the PS2 in that region.

Within 6 months of the PS2s launch there were a lot of shortages, within 6 months of the PS3s launch the price was too high. That doesn't make much difference in terms of overall demand for that region as one roughly counters the other and then the PS3 price drops and availability is no longer constrained so therefore extremely comparable.

The world doesn't revolve around the U.S. and the price of the Playstation there. Read the graph again and see that the PS3 falls behind the PS2 and price was never a factor. The Wii stole the Playstation market and ditto for the Xbox 360 to a lesser extent. The PS3 got schooled because the other consoles got appealing content and experiences out faster and more often in the first couple of years. It had nothing to do with the PS3 being too expensive.

No it does not ,but on the same token the US is not europe just like Europe is not the US you keep pointing out that Europe is the ACID TEST. why would the United states not be an Acid test also? it's all subjective.

And once again it's the percieved Value of the product @ Price I am not saying the percieved value had nothing to do with it vs' other system's out there, I am saying on a region by region basis PRICE had a big detriment to the sell of the system.

as an example:

Because price is not a factor in Europe. You can't say "PS3 didn't perform as well because the price was too high" because the price for the most part has been close to and either lower or higher than the historical PS2 price there. Price factor removed. It means you can look at other factors without running in circles saying the price was too high the price was too high...

Since the system launched later with quality content coming quicker then you can somewhat remove the lateness of some of the software as Uncharted 1 for example was only 6 months later and I believe Oblivion was a launch title. 

So therefore you can look at the difference between the PS2 and PS3 in Europe and say this rough percentage is the difference caused by competition and then anything greater than that in other regions you can say the difference is the price. 

So if the PS3 is 30% down in Europe and 50% down in the U.S. you can say that roughly 30% of the reduced sales of the PS3 relative to the PS2 was competitor actions and 20% was due to a higher launch price and higher price thereafter.

you can but it's just a guess.

that does not take away the price was not a factor. How could it.

for example

was the xbox360 in the market before the playstation 3 was released there ?

and by how long?

was the xbox360 on the market before the Playstation 3 hit in europe

would you say that when the xbox360 released, that the Playstation 2's graphic's were seen as dated?

so when the xbox360 was released what was the price of the PS2 at the time when the xbox360 when it was released?

would you say that people viewed the price of the xbox360 a better deal over the PS2?

for everything you get.

now apply those very same thing's to the PS3 vs' the xbox360, was the xbox360 cheaper than the playstation 3 when it was first released?

so the point being is Price of a system and it's function's and what software it has out when it get's released vs  preception of what the system is worth play's a big part no matter what region your in. would you agree with that ?

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:
joeorc said:

as an example:

for example

and by how long?

would you say that when the xbox360 released, that the Playstation 2's graphic's were seen as dated?

so when the xbox360 was released what was the price of the PS2 at the time when the xbox360 when it was released?

would you say that people viewed the price of the xbox360 a better deal over the PS2?

for everything you get.

now apply those very same thing's to the PS3 vs' the xbox360, was the xbox360 cheaper than the playstation 3 when it was first released?

so the point being is Price of a system and it's function's and what software it has out when it get's released vs  preception of what the system is worth play's a big part no matter what region your in. would you agree with that ?

Congratulations on not reading. I said price was a factor however it was not the only factor because in some markets where a 'higher' price wasn't as important a factor the PS3 is still down in sales compared to the PS2. Europe proves that the loss in sales volume between the PS2 and PS3 was more due to compelling competitor offerings than it was due to a higher price.

Even if the Xbox 360 was released 1st it doesn't matter. If the Xbox 360 and Wii were not compelling then people would have simply held off buying the PS3 but they would have pretty much all ended up going back to the Playstation when it had the software and price they wanted. It doesn't matter when a competitor releases something if its not compelling. Even if the PS3 was released for a lower price like $299 the other consoles would have still eroded PS3 market share because they were still compelling in isolation relative to what the PS3 was and is.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Twistedpixel said:
joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:
joeorc said:

as an example:

for example

and by how long?

for everything you get.

Congratulations on not reading. I said price was a factor however it was not the only factor because in some markets where a 'higher' price wasn't as important a factor the PS3 is still down in sales compared to the PS2. Europe proves that the loss in sales volume between the PS2 and PS3 was more due to compelling competitor offerings than it was due to a higher price.

Even if the Xbox 360 was released 1st it doesn't matter. If the Xbox 360 and Wii were not compelling then people would have simply held off buying the PS3 but they would have pretty much all ended up going back to the Playstation when it had the software and price they wanted. It doesn't matter when a competitor releases something if its not compelling. Even if the PS3 was released for a lower price like $299 the other consoles would have still eroded PS3 market share because they were still compelling in isolation relative to what the PS3 was and is.

o'l i read it just fine.

so let me get this straight, you saying that the Xbox360 releasing first does not matter?

when the only other system's on the market was the PS2 and the Game Cube as a choice?

right. like that does not matter?

that's a big selling component, at the time that was the best graphic's machine aside from the PC . so yea it does matter to some.

"Even if the PS3 was released for a lower price like $299 the other consoles would have still eroded PS3 market share because they were still compelling in isolation relative to what the PS3 was and is."

you sure of that? resistance was a pretty d@mn good game, so was folklore and since the first PS3's also allowed you to run ps2 software. you bet a $299.00 playstation 3 would have been a major system at that price..o'l wait it is. one only has to look at the PS3 slim, yea it cannot play play PS2 disc's "yet" but it has BC with PS1 game's

to sit there and say a $299.00 price point in 2007 would not have been an major effect on sale's of the PS3  in Europe is just plain silly.

which is what your implying you are saying the PS3 when it was first released would still not be as compelling as the xbox360 or the Wii even at $299.00

gotcha, you are silly I give you that bless ya.!

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

anyone that doubted them can suck me big toe.

And one moe ting

a wu di blouse n skirt lmao

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st