By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So who thought Sony was crazy when they said the PS3 will sell 13m for 2009

dolemit3 said:
If 13 million per year is a crazy sell through, the expectations must be really low nowadays from Camp Sony.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that it's doing this whilst also being a 3rd place console...

Around the Network

I totally did. But just in my defense, that was because I didn't think the market would be that big in the holiday season as it was or big enough when the PS3 Slim was coming out to really give it a sizable return. If I had any kind of foresight to the 2009 holiday season being that big, probably would have thought quite a bit different. Although still would have only put it in the 11-13 million range. First estimates were 9.5-10.5 million for their shipments and then later adjusted to 11-12 million.

But yea they had me fooled. Thing that had me the most fooled, though, is that DS could do about 30 million 2 years in a row. That's just incredible.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
REDZONE said:
The people that compare the Wii to the PS3 have to be retarded.The Wii=$199 casual gamer,the PS3=$299 hardcore gamer HD.Now it's only obvious that the Wii will sell more at the price it's at.STOP comparing Wii sales to HD consoles sales.

Every sale that goes to Wii, weakens the PS3's position further, how can you not compare

How does this weaken the PS3 position?The only people that uses the Wii as their main console are moms and grandparents,so majority of gamers (the ones who actually buy software) that own/buying the  Wii are people who own a HD console  or will get one,because the Wii is just that,a casual game,so people will most likely buy another console and because it's so CHEAP. 

joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:

Congratulations on not reading. I said price was a factor however it was not the only factor because in some markets where a 'higher' price wasn't as important a factor the PS3 is still down in sales compared to the PS2. Europe proves that the loss in sales volume between the PS2 and PS3 was more due to compelling competitor offerings than it was due to a higher price.

Even if the Xbox 360 was released 1st it doesn't matter. If the Xbox 360 and Wii were not compelling then people would have simply held off buying the PS3 but they would have pretty much all ended up going back to the Playstation when it had the software and price they wanted. It doesn't matter when a competitor releases something if its not compelling. Even if the PS3 was released for a lower price like $299 the other consoles would have still eroded PS3 market share because they were still compelling in isolation relative to what the PS3 was and is.

o'l i read it just fine.

so let me get this straight, you saying that the Xbox360 releasing first does not matter?

when the only other system's on the market was the PS2 and the Game Cube as a choice?

right. like that does not matter?

that's a big selling component, at the time that was the best graphic's machine aside from the PC . so yea it does matter to some.

"Even if the PS3 was released for a lower price like $299 the other consoles would have still eroded PS3 market share because they were still compelling in isolation relative to what the PS3 was and is."

you sure of that? resistance was a pretty d@mn good game, so was folklore and since the first PS3's also allowed you to run ps2 software. you bet a $299.00 playstation 3 would have been a major system at that price..o'l wait it is. one only has to look at the PS3 slim, yea it cannot play play PS2 disc's "yet" but it has BC with PS1 game's

to sit there and say a $299.00 price point in 2007 would not have been an major effect on sale's of the PS3  in Europe is just plain silly.

which is what your implying you are saying the PS3 when it was first released would still not be as compelling as the xbox360 or the Wii even at $299.00

gotcha, you are silly I give you that bless ya.!

If it had released first without compelling software it would not have mattered. It was the compelling software which came out quickly upon launch which made the difference for the Xbox 360.

The Wii always had 1st place locked up. They had the holy trinity of Wii Sports, Mario Kart and Wii Fit. The most epic combination of system sellers out in the first year and a half as well as Zelda and I think SMG though I forget when that launched.

What im saying is that for 2nd place Microsoft still had to earn it. They got compelling software out quickly and it worked. Otherwise the Xbox 360 would have lost quickly to the PS3 because it couldn't make any ground.

The European PS3 price was indentical to the PS2 launch price, therefore the price in that market was NOT a factor after 6 months on the market. Because Europeans are used to paying that price it did not make the PS3 seem expensive at all. Japan wouldn't give the Xbox the time of day anyway and that left the U.S. market. $399 is pretty close to $299 adjusting for 7 years of inflation, the key in that market was the massive bundle in 2007 and Halo along with Bioshock. The Xbox 360 won this market in 2007 with only a $50 price difference between the 20GB and the PS3, the Arcade was hardly a factor in this at all.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

REDZONE said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
REDZONE said:
The people that compare the Wii to the PS3 have to be retarded.The Wii=$199 casual gamer,the PS3=$299 hardcore gamer HD.Now it's only obvious that the Wii will sell more at the price it's at.STOP comparing Wii sales to HD consoles sales.

Every sale that goes to Wii, weakens the PS3's position further, how can you not compare

How does this weaken the PS3 position?The only people that uses the Wii as their main console are moms and grandparents,so majority of gamers (the ones who actually buy software) that own/buying the  Wii are people who own a HD console  or will get one,because the Wii is just that,a casual game,so people will most likely buy another console and because it's so CHEAP.

Because HD gamers alone cannot sustain Sony and MS

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

What does the Wii has to do with this thread? Did the OP mention it or something?

Twistedpixel said:
joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:

Congratulations on not reading. I said price was a factor however it was not the only factor because in some markets where a 'higher' price wasn't as important a factor the PS3 is still down in sales compared to the PS2. Europe proves that the loss in sales volume between the PS2 and PS3 was more due to compelling competitor offerings than it was due to a higher price.

Even if the Xbox 360 was released 1st it doesn't matter. If the Xbox 360 and Wii were not compelling then people would have simply held off buying the PS3 but they would have pretty much all ended up going back to the Playstation when it had the software and price they wanted. It doesn't matter when a competitor releases something if its not compelling. Even if the PS3 was released for a lower price like $299 the other consoles would have still eroded PS3 market share because they were still compelling in isolation relative to what the PS3 was and is.

o'l i read it just fine.

so let me get this straight, you saying that the Xbox360 releasing first does not matter?

when the only other system's on the market was the PS2 and the Game Cube as a choice?

that's a big selling component, at the time that was the best graphic's machine aside from the PC . so yea it does matter to some.

"Even if the PS3 was released for a lower price like $299 the other consoles would have still eroded PS3 market share because they were still compelling in isolation relative to what the PS3 was and is."

you sure of that? resistance was a pretty d@mn good game, so was folklore and since the first PS3's also allowed you to run ps2 software. you bet a $299.00 playstation 3 would have been a major system at that price..o'l wait it is. one only has to look at the PS3 slim, yea it cannot play play PS2 disc's "yet" but it has BC with PS1 game's

to sit there and say a $299.00 price point in 2007 would not have been an major effect on sale's of the PS3  in Europe is just plain silly.

which is what your implying you are saying the PS3 when it was first released would still not be as compelling as the xbox360 or the Wii even at $299.00

If it had released first without compelling software it would not have mattered. It was the compelling software which came out quickly upon launch which made the difference for the Xbox 360.

The Wii always had 1st place locked up. They had the holy trinity of Wii Sports, Mario Kart and Wii Fit. The most epic combination of system sellers out in the first year and a half as well as Zelda and I think SMG though I forget when that launched.

What im saying is that for 2nd place Microsoft still had to earn it. They got compelling software out quickly and it worked. Otherwise the Xbox 360 would have lost quickly to the PS3 because it couldn't make any ground.

The European PS3 price was indentical to the PS2 launch price, therefore the price in that market was NOT a factor after 6 months on the market. Because Europeans are used to paying that price it did not make the PS3 seem expensive at all. Japan wouldn't give the Xbox the time of day anyway and that left the U.S. market. $399 is pretty close to $299 adjusting for 7 years of inflation, the key in that market was the massive bundle in 2007 and Halo along with Bioshock. The Xbox 360 won this market in 2007 with only a $50 price difference between the 20GB and the PS3, the Arcade was hardly a factor in this at all.

but see there you go, the PS3 did release with compelling software , In my opinion resistance was one of the best game's released for the PS3, even though I am not much of a shooter fan.

was the xbox360 had more game's yes, but you once again sit thre and say that if the PS3 would have released at $299.00 it would not have had a profound effect. because even with the little software it did have it sold very well.

they had to earn it?

listen not just Microsoft had to earn it, they all had too, Everyone like's an underdog i guess huh!

RIGHT, THEY JUST LOVE PAYING THAT PRICE..

um no it's not , have you seen the houseforeclosure market in the US? you can bring up inflation all you want $100.00 is $100.00

what..the Arcade was not a factor in this at all!, now i know your being silly.

by just being on the shelf , it will drive sale's just on it's price alone because if is an incentive to price compare it was put out to be able to alway's under cut the price of the PS3. and it's worked fantastiicly.

PRICE was the big problem! why because it was that very fact that changed the perception of the PS3 since it wast first released!

it did not matter how much Value was in the PS3 some people still view the PS3 is still too expensive even today!

you can say it does not matter after 6 month's all you want,

the very fact that if the price of the PS3 would have been $299.00 value right from the start, with what the PS3 had in it with Backward compatability there would have been a factor on how well the PS3 would have sold right from the start.

like i said  I think your being verry silly, but god bless you.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

This is a thread made after the slim released
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=85311&page=1

A bit of a mix of opinions in there. Some saying it is possible and others saying that the projections were crazy. I remember being a bit skeptical myself whether or not they would make it. The PS3 had a better holiday than I expected.

jonop said:
This is a thread made after the slim released
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=85311&page=1

A bit of a mix of opinions in there. Some saying it is possible and others saying that the projections were crazy. I remember being a bit skeptical myself whether or not they would make it. The PS3 had a better holiday than I expected.

This is great. Some of you might wanna check this thread out.

joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:
joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:

o'l i read it just fine.

but see there you go, the PS3 did release with compelling software , In my opinion resistance was one of the best game's released for the PS3, even though I am not much of a shooter fan.

was the xbox360 had more game's yes, but you once again sit thre and say that if the PS3 would have released at $299.00 it would not have had a profound effect. because even with the little software it did have it sold very well.

they had to earn it?

listen not just Microsoft had to earn it, they all had too, Everyone like's an underdog i guess huh!

RIGHT, THEY JUST LOVE PAYING THAT PRICE..

um no it's not , have you seen the houseforeclosure market in the US? you can bring up inflation all you want $100.00 is $100.00

what..the Arcade was not a factor in this at all!, now i know your being silly.

by just being on the shelf , it will drive sale's just on it's price alone because if is an incentive to price compare it was put out to be able to alway's under cut the price of the PS3. and it's worked fantastiicly.

PRICE was the big problem! why because it was that very fact that changed the perception of the PS3 since it wast first released!

it did not matter how much Value was in the PS3 some people still view the PS3 is still too expensive even today!

you can say it does not matter after 6 month's all you want,

the very fact that if the price of the PS3 would have been $299.00 value right from the start, with what the PS3 had in it with Backward compatability there would have been a factor on how well the PS3 would have sold right from the start.

like i said  I think your being verry silly, but god bless you.

God bless you too. .....

In the U.S. market the Arcade was not a factor until it was $200 and reached a more casual market. At $280 it represented very little value in 2007 being only $70 cheaper than a unit which indeed had a HDD, especially to the more core type gamer who purchased the system. Even today in America 2/3rds of sales are the $300 Elite which is where the bulk of the sales come from. It was a $350 Premium vs an $400 40GB PS3. The price difference for over 85% of the sales between the two consoles was less than 1/8th or 12.5% of the PS3s purchase price.

In the U.S. as well it has never been about price it has always been about content. The Playstation started the generation in a better position than the Xbox so you can't attribute the differences to brand awareness and perception. Only for a year was the PS3 so far behind the Xbox 360 in relative price and absolute price that it swung the market in favour of the Xbox 360. Even today in this market both $299 console SKUs sell about on par with each other. If there was no Arcade then some of the buyers of the Arcade would buy an Elite instead.

People like to overstate the impact of price, in Europe it was never a price they were unable to bear or not used to from a PS branded console and in the U.S. for most of the time the price was close enough to call it a wash. Both consoles are expensive. Neither are cheap consoles so people tend to get the one which represents to them the best buy for their money. In Europe this is the PS3 and in America this is the Xbox 360.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?